iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Powering a 30" bucksaw

Started by tyb525, September 07, 2014, 10:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I've got an old Sears & Roebuck bucksaw/buzzsaw with a ~30" blade, blade guard, and a nice flat belt. I've cleaned it up, repainted it, and greased the bearings which are still nice and tight. The blade runs true, and the teeth are in good shape, same angle to all of them, just a little dull. I'm debating whether to sell it, or use it for slabs and small pole firewood. The problem keeping me from using it is I don't have anything to power it with. None of our tractors have belt pulleys.

I know I could build a frame to support a pto-driven belt pulley, but I think a 60hp gas tractor is a little wasteful (and expensive) to run a little buzzsaw like this. I was wondering if a 5hp gas engine could be used, maybe with a flywheel of some sort? I could incorporate a small engine into the buzzsaw frame to keep it as a unit.

I am curious to know how others have powered their buzzsaws, I'd hate to see this nice old saw become a yard ornament.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

Just had a thread on this,somewheres.  ::)  I found it!!

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,76236.0.html

We use to have something that went onto the PTO to run a belt. Probably pricey to buy one now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I've got a 30" buzz saw in the woods I haven't used for decades .When I did I belted it to either a TO 20 Ferguson or an Oliver HG crawler .Both were in the 22 or so HP range .I didn't think 5 HP would be enough .

You can really buzz up a lot of firewood with one of those in a hurry if the stuff is like 8 inch or so .You get up much over 12 inch you have a hard time lifting it to the saw .

As far as a 60 HP tractor it's not really wastefull because you don't run it in a throttle up position against the governer .Just give it enough until the blade "sings " .

tyb525

I suppose I could keep the tractor rpm lower and choose a pulley that would get me the right speed (1000 rpm was printed on the mandrel)

Thanks for the link thecfarm, I've been out of the loop for awhile and forgot about searching. I know just about every topic has been gone over several times.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

Quote from: tyb525 on September 08, 2014, 06:24:53 PM
I know just about every topic has been gone over several times.

Yes it has. But there are always new members that can add something new.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stumper

I power my 30 inch bucksaw with my 11 year old son.  But it does look different then the ones shown in the link. :D

Thewoodman

I love using mine, 6.5Hp Chinese Honda rip off design, tungsten tipped.
Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

36 coupe

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 08, 2014, 07:39:54 AM
I've got a 30" buzz saw in the woods I haven't used for decades .When I did I belted it to either a TO 20 Ferguson or an Oliver HG crawler .Both were in the 22 or so HP range .I didn't think 5 HP would be enough .

You can really buzz up a lot of firewood with one of those in a hurry if the stuff is like 8 inch or so .You get up much over 12 inch you have a hard time lifting it to the saw .

As far as a 60 HP tractor it's not really wastefull because you don't run it in a throttle up position against the governer .Just give it enough until the blade "sings " .A lot of 30 inch saws have been run with 5 hp.
My Ford runs at 1000 rpm running a 30 inch buzz saw.Develops about 15 hp at that rpm.

Thewoodman

what you can do is find a rough tractor and use it as a motor on wheels. I brought a fordson major for $500 and put a saw on the back. it made me a lot of money.

Knute

We have one which mounts on the back of an Allis Chalmers model C which is about 20 hp. I don't believe you would want anything less than about 20hp.

Thewoodman

I use a 6.5hp  engine and its brilliant

coxy

Quote from: Thewoodman on October 20, 2014, 01:56:31 AM
I use a 6.5hp  engine and its brilliant
I have been looking at one and thought 12hp would do it  did you do any mods to the 6.5 hp  could or would you show some pics of it  thanks

Thewoodman

bandmiller2

TYB, 5 hp is not enough, I have done it with an antique 6 hp IH engine but only got away with it because of the massive flywheels. A two cylinder Wisconsin baler engine would do the trick. Another option would be a 5hp electric motor, DanG easy to start too. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thewoodman

the machine above is a 6.5 Hp.  Bigger is better. The best way as I have said before is to get an el'cheapo tractor for $500 and plug the saw on the PTO.

DeerMeadowFarm

I have a 10 hp Tecumsuh on mine; my FIL has a 7 hp on his. Both work great. The picture is dark but I can take more if you need it. I run a 3 belt pulley on the motor but only use the outside 2 so it'll ride well on the flat belt pully (this photo only shows one belt but I now use 2). Mine is an old IH brand.

Thank You Sponsors!