iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need help planting trees

Started by Engineer, December 22, 2008, 09:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

OK, this is weird.   :o

Today I got a box by UPS.  About four feet long and 6 x 6 inches square.   I had no idea what it was.  My wife came home and said to me "You better open this, it's your Christmas present from my parents (my inlaws) and they said you have to open it immediately even if it shows up early".

I pull out a bundle of sticks with one end wrapped in a plastic bag.  It's a bunch of bare-root TREES.  Four American Black Walnut and two hybrid Pecan trees.  You ever get that feeling like "what WERE they THINKING?" 

It's December 22nd.  I live in VERMONT.  Zone 4.  Pecans live in Zone 7.  Walnuts are at the outer fringe of their range.  There is a foot of snow on the ground and the temperature is 8 degrees out.  These are bare root trees.   The instructions say I'm supposed to plant them immediately.  The nursery they were sent from is in Georgia, so they've been on the road a while.  I was planning on a long-term project to do a small orchard but that is a few years down the road.   I have no place to put these things, even my topsoil pile is frozen. 

What do I do?   ??? ???   :-\ ::)  I think I'm gonna call the nursery tomorrow, but they probably have no concept of frozen ground or snow.   I think the walnuts would live if I planted them, say, in October.  The pecans are likely gonna die, and if they don't by some miracle, we have armies, whole armies, of ravenous chipmunks that will eat the nuts before I even see them.

I think I mentioned to my wife that I'd like some walnuts for Christmas.  I expected a couple pounds of Indiana black walnut meats.  I didn't expect DIY walnuts....  :o ::)

beenthere

Maybe a Forum Member could use them??

Maybe your In-laws are telling you something...subtly.   ;D ;D ;D

But I'll bet they meant well, just the same.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bmill

Ouch.....no good answer for this one.  Can you put them in a 5 gallon bucket in the basement?
1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 8 - 13 - 21 - 34 - 55 - 89 - 144 - 233 - 377 - 610 - 987 - 1597 - 2584    Kubota L3400, Loader, Backhoe, 3 point tiller, Stihl MS 390, Very hard working wife!

Jeff

:D :D :D
Sorry for laughing :D

Actually, the 5 gallon pails would work I bet. Plant em inside. You can buy potting soil if your topsoil is frozen.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Quote from: bmill on December 22, 2008, 10:29:32 PM
  Ouch.....no good answer for this one.  Can you put them in a 5 gallon bucket in the basement?

With a growing light or two if you aren't getting good sunshine there this time of year.  Of course, growing lights in the basement make the electric bill go up and the cops start monitoring you. :)

stonebroke

If you have a farmer closeby with a green house he is using this winter . You might try and get him to keep them in the greenhouse for the winter.

thecfarm

Call up the nursery and tell them about the weather.They should of sent you a voucher saying you have four American Black Walnut and two pecan tree from your inlaws.We will hold them until your growing season is ready.They were just slack on checking the "ship to" address.If they are a good comapny they will reship the order in the spring.They all know about Vermont weather and other states.Don't let them buffallo you.My Father use to get alot of fruit trees and have problems like that.They would re-ship it at a later date.He would buy things that was made for this zone and if it died a would write a letter to them and get a repalcement for it.Sounds like you have some nice in-laws to help you out with your orchard.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

roger 4400

I would try to put them in a 5 gallon can and put them in a garage that is cold not to get them **awake* before spring.....I think those walnut need a dormancy season. The other trees I do not know what to tell you except GOOD LUCK ...LOL  LOL ..Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

dewwood

I agree with Roger, those trees are meant to have a dormant period.  I would do what others said and put them in a container with something around the roots and put them outside.  Come spring, if they survive, transplant them.

Good luck and enjoy your walnuts on Christmas!
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Engineer

Well I called the nursery.  The guy I spoke to simply said "pot them, and store them in a garage". 

So I'm goin' to pot them.  Got a stack of drywall buckets and they are gonna have trees in 'em.   :o

I'm gonna get some weird looks buying ten or twelve bags of potting soil in December.  I'll tell the feed store I'm fixin' to save my Christmas tree for next year...  :D

OneWithWood

Punch some holes in the bottom of the buckets so if any moisture accumulates the roots will not rot.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!