iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Preserving wood

Started by Cutter/Climber, August 18, 2016, 05:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutter/Climber

I have a client that wants me to cut some disc's out of limbs. They are looking at trying to treat them so that they don't split as they dry. I was wondering if there is anything that I can put on them to help keep them from splitting when I cut them and they are still green. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a nice day.

scsmith42

Pentacryl is made for this purpose.  Smaller limb slices frequently turn out ok when soaked, but main trunk cookies will usually crack anyway (depending upon the species).
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Magicman

Saw them at a angle making them as oval as possible.  The rounder they are the more possibility of splitting.  Also the dryer the wood is the less possibility of splitting.  Sawing them green, you will probably have most if not all of them split.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den-Den

First thing is to expect some failures.  Sawing them at an angle, controlling the drying rate and magic potions will help but nothing will get 100% success at this.
Species of the wood is a big factor in the success/failure rate.  Also partially dry and spalted wood will be more likely to stay intact than fresh cut.  I cut some for a neighbor from Hackberry (told her that most likely all would crack) and was surprised that about half of them had only minor cracks.  It was a standing dead tree and there was quite a bit of spalting.  Had it been a live tree; I would have been surprised to get one success per 50.  Cypress is much more forgiving.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

LeeB

There is a chemical called PEG 1000 that will work but it's expensive and time consuming. One option is to cut more rounds than you need and cut a wedge out, let the disc dry, cut a wegde from the adjacent disk, and glue it in place. Also time consuming.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

buzywoodliff

I dropped a 14" black oak late winter/early spring.  Around the middle of June, cut it into 2" cookies and immediately coated them real good with anchorseal.  A week ago I removed the anchorseal with a sanding disc on the angle grinder, being careful not to remove all the saw marks because I wanted a little rustic look.  They got a quick bath in warm soapy water and then denatured alcohol.  I then gave them 3 coats of polyurethane and was really happy that they didn't split and held onto the bark.

They're for my niece's wedding decorations this Saturday and she seemed really happy with them.

Someday I'll figure out the picture posting thing...

5quarter

Hi buzz...That's cause your cookies are still wet inside. the alcohol displaced enough surface water for the poly to get good adhesion. That may be the best way to finish them for centerpieces. let us know in a year what happens to them.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Cutter/Climber

Thanks for the information. I am going to talk to her about the Pentacryl see what she wants to do. I know that it is going to take a while. I guess the wood is birtch that has been laying since January. Have to go meet with her to see what it all looks like.

buzywoodliff

Yea..... I have my doubts about long term success.  i was just hoping they could have something with the bark still intact.

She has a friend that wants to use them in a couple of months, we'll see how they hold up.

I try to learn something everyday, spending a little time on the forestry forum is a good way for me

bkaimwood

Quote from: Magicman on August 18, 2016, 08:50:06 AM
Saw them at a angle making them as oval as possible.  The rounder they are the more possibility of splitting.  Also the dryer the wood is the less possibility of splitting.  Sawing them green, you will probably have most if not all of them split.
I have sawed plenty of cookies this wY, ovals...not intentionally, just gathering sides from interesting logs for clicks, taxidermy mounts and such...I was always pleased with the way they dried. I know why, but only since you pointed it out....just never put 2 and 2 together... Thanks!!
bk

Thank You Sponsors!