iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Debarker attachment

Started by JohnSR, September 18, 2013, 12:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnSR

Have any of you had any experience using this tool. It looks like it attaches to a chain saw bar and makes quick work on the bark, if a person can belief the reviews. Looks like an interesting tool.  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326354_200326354

Brad_S.

I had one, used it twice then sold it. Works ok in summer but to remove frozen ice or mud it was worthless. An axe or drawknife work better IMO.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

MRowsh

I was interested in a debarking tool too. But after a little research and reading many reviews, I decided against it. Most of people who had purchased one, are not using it after trying it few times. They also mentioned that, they had to raise the cutter out a little so the shreds of wood does not get cut inside of it.
LogMaster LM2 with Kubota V1305 Diesel conversion.
There is a price for everything in life!!!  No free lunches!
Retired US Army.

JohnSR

I was thinking the same thing. Probably if the log was fairly clean, it would work ok but if the log is fairly clean I probably wouldn't debark it anyway :D

MRowsh

LogMaster LM2 with Kubota V1305 Diesel conversion.
There is a price for everything in life!!!  No free lunches!
Retired US Army.

beenthere

Being from the northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company is enough reason to not buy it (for me). Like as not, it is a chinese knock-off built on someone else's hard work and design.
And also know that most people who get one, don't use it for very long before finding an easier way.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mobile demensia

I would rather have a debarker but I have found this tool works well on the local softwoods. I think you could get it for a better price if you buy direct from the manufacturer. Just google log wizard.
Timberjack 230D
Mobile Dimension 127
Woodcraft 30-20a
2 Stihl 660's
and growing

hamish

Quote from: beenthere on September 18, 2013, 02:59:47 PM
Being from the northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company is enough reason to not buy it (for me). Like as not, it is a chinese knock-off built on someone else's hard work and design.
And also know that most people who get one, don't use it for very long before finding an easier way.

Think before you post.

Take a second of time and learn about Log Wizard.

Nobody should buy a Norwood Mill or a Honda Generator either, both are Chinese knock-offs sold by northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company, oh wait one of them is a Forum Sponsor...........oops.

In softwoods it works great, just an added step in the process, three passes when making a cant.

Thank you, enjoy your evening.

Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Jeff

Hamish, you are not at all accurate on your comment about Norwood. The Norwood mill sold by Northern-Tools is not a chinese knockoff and is not built by anyone other than Norwood. When ordered from Northern-tool it is then drop shipped from Norwood. If you choose to do business via Northern on a norwood, at least in this case, you are getting the genuine article delivered to you directly from Norwood.  Everyone knows I am not a northern-tool fan at all, but AI am a big Norwood fan, and if that is the way someone needs to get one, know that you are indeed gettting a norwood sawmill.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bozzaa69

If you feel that way about northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company, I wonder how you feel about Harbor Freight?

dboyt

Jeff, thanks for setting the matter straight on Norwood  smiley_thumbsup.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

hamish

Quote from: Jeff on September 26, 2013, 02:36:26 PM
Hamish, you are not at all accurate on your comment about Norwood. The Norwood mill sold by Northern-Tools is not a chinese knockoff and is not built by anyone other than Norwood. When ordered from Northern-tool it is then drop shipped from Norwood. If you choose to do business via Northern on a norwood, at least in this case, you are getting the genuine article delivered to you directly from Norwood.  Everyone knows I am not a northern-tool fan at all, but AI am a big Norwood fan, and if that is the way someone needs to get one, know that you are indeed gettting a norwood sawmill.

Jeff,

Likewise with the Log Wizard.  The blanket comment and opinion about northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company is not warranted.

Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Nomad

Toward the bottom of the page, in the Q&A section, the question of where the Log Wizard is made is addressed.  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326354_200326354
     I'm not claiming it's a knock-off copy; I'm simply pointing out where it's made.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

swampbuggy

I have a Log Wizard. I have a Norwood. I didn't buy them from Northern. I got the Log Wizard off Ebay and it is a cool device and I have used it for peeling bark. I am glad I didn't pay full price! It can be a useful tool in the right circumstances, very dangerous in others. It can be a handful to operate properly! If you want to use it as a de-barker it will add another step to the milling process and to be honest I don't think it made my blades last much longer than without it, but that could just be what I was cutting at the time. Dan
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Gentlewolf

Thank you everyone, u helped me make a decision on whether or not to purchase a debarker with a mill. U all have given me useful and valuable info

ST Ranch

I agree with Swamp buggy

I have a log wizard and it has it's place - I added a rubber chip deflector to keep chips away from face - The log wizard needs a good size saw - 60 cc plus and I have mine mounted on a 20 inch bar.

Problem is they can be suseptable to kick back and they also do not have a depth gauge, so you can sometimes take a good bite out of your log.  Also they have a tendancy to wear you out[hard work]

WE used ours a number of years ago before WM cameout with their debarker attachment.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Thank You Sponsors!