iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

horse question

Started by thedeeredude, December 29, 2005, 05:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

Here's a question for horse owners.  How much does it cost do keep and feed a horse and what do you feed them.  I just want a relative idea of the shoeing costs(how often do they get shod?) and how much feed costs.  Sorry if the question sounds stupid, but  I've never been around horses and was just wandering.

Burlkraft

Okay................STOP RITE THERE :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Horses are baaadddd news....If ya got a lot of money to give away...Horses is a good way to do it ;) ;)

It's a big sucking vortex....it starts slowly with a horse and some feed and a little pasture...The sun is shining...the breeze is blowing through the grass.....It's all good :) :) :) :) :) :)

Then it's vet bills....horses need a lot of care and vaccinations, The horse shoer 6 or 7 times a year....Tack....are ya goin' ta ride the horse??? Saddles are costly...Feed...lots of feed.....Let's breed the horse....lets get a better one.......I like that one...We need a trailer. IT NEVER ENDS :o :o :o :o :o :o

Kinda' sounds like buyin' tools...don't it ????

Take my advise........... ;) ;) ;) ;)

Go to a stable and 1/2 lease a horse. Ya can ride it anytime ya want and ya don't have to take care of it. It works great for the horse lovers in your life. ::) ::) ::) ::)

Then ya can take all the money ya save on the horse project and buy sawmills and forwarders and trailers...for logs..not horses.

That my firends is a win win situation ;) ;) ;) ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Frank_Pender

Amen, to what Steve had to say.   :'(

`Two years ago I saved whole bunches of money.  I gave my quarterhorse filly to one of my students from my first year of teaching.  She and her husband run a very large cattle operation in Sourther border area of Idaho.   She had lost hers in a tragic way and I sent her my $5,000 horse.   I have been blessed ever since: no feed bills, vet bills, training issues for cutting, ropping, branding, getting hay put in for the year, etc..  ;)
Frank Pender

PawNature

Yea it kinda like buying a wood stove. Then you need a chain saw, then a tractor to skid the logs out of the woods, then a 4x4 pu and trailer to haul the tractor and wood on. And on and on and on... Although any of these things are a necessity in my opinion. And in my opinion a horse is not...My 14 yr old niece has probably 15 to 20  a bunch of horses, but she is a horse trader.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Burlkraft

Maybe that reply of mine was a little harsh............ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

But that all comes from previous experience :o :o :o :o :o

I do like the flavor of good horse meat tho........ :D :D :D :D

crtreedude

Well, my horses (5 and growing) don't cost much at all. Shoeing is dirt cheap, saddles are about 200 dollars, and feed - what feed? They eat grass and perhaps a little concentrate if they are working hard. Usually they don't need it - the biggest issue is them being a little fat - we call them the bums. (vagabundos)

They sort of earn their keep since they are really convient for riding around on and checking out the finca.

They don't need a stable either - but remember, we are in the tropics and my people know how to do all the shoeing and stuff.

Sure makes it cheap!

Your mileage may vary (in fact, I would probably ignore my experience!)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Burlkraft

Nice disclaimer CR ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

crtreedude

Yeah, and I think our most expensive horse to date was 140 dollars... We have been offered several times that amount.

Ole Hector the horse trader loves to get a horse that people haven't taken care of and turn them into something special.

He has his eye on a big one now that the person wants to just about give to us - and it is a purebred of something! We even get to keep it for a month as a trial run...

I am glad he is on my side!

srjones

QuoteIf ya got a lot of money to give away...Horses is a good way to do it

A good friend of mine once said..."I used to have money and free time, now I have horses"   ;D
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

crtreedude

Or as one person put it - Horses are very good at converting 5 dollars bills into manure...

Dakota

When I finally got rid of the last of my horses,  I felt like a free man.  You naturally get cought up in their care, needs, and requirements.  What you don't realize is how much the responsibility for them ties you down, time wise and financially.

If you have someone who wants to learn to ride etc., pay someone $100 a month for lessons.  It would be a lot cheaper and might teach a good lesson before a lot of money got involved.
Dakota
Dave Rinker

DMax

My dad used to always say "never buy anything that eats while you sleep". Unfortunately he did not follow his own advice. My mom has 5-7 horses on our 15 acres at any given time. Her operation is pretty much self-sufficient(she teaches children's riding lessons and does summer camps, the income from which covers all the horses expenses). I do know however that she spends loads of money on vet bills, the farrier, grain, hay, etc, and that doesn't include the fact that she has free labor. Me!
  I know several people with land who thought they would get a horse or several. They think they will just put them out in a field and forget about it. Well next think you know the field is gnawed down to dirt, and you can't enjoy the land because the horses have left souvineers everywhere.
  I have to ask, who is the horse for? A child? if so, start the kid off with some riding lessons or something, and then build up from there.
  As others here have said, you will be spending a ton of money!

David

crtreedude

I will admit, we don't have a problem with 5 horses on our land - we have a square kilometer - they really don't impact much on the grass.

But, if it was only an acre or two - better start hauling the bails of hay!

Burlkraft

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

5 Dollar Bills Into Manure.................I love that :D :D :D :D :D

sawguy21

Quote from: crtreedude on December 29, 2005, 07:38:44 PM
Or as one person put it - Horses are very good at converting 5 dollars bills into manure...
:D :D :D :D :D :D I like that too. My sister was the horse nut in our family. Dad and I were the slave labour. We spent more time hauling feed, hay and fixing that DanG corral than we cared to admit. Horses are for other people. smiley_thumbsdown
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Burlkraft

If ya look in my gallery I got some pics of Jill and her rented hay burner.  $100.00 a month and I'm covered. Plus I did it as her birthday present last year. The gift that keeps on givin' 8) 8) 8)

She cleans stalls cuz she likes to ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

etat

A horse will eat more grass than a cow and graze  it closer to the ground.  And.........if it's not good  grass it will starve to death or get real poor on it.  Same thing with hay, you have to have GOOD clean dry hay.   Around here we mostly feed pure bermuda grass hay because alfafa is not available or it's very expensive.  You  can feed a cow whatever kind of hay you can get your hands on.  Feed a cow moldy hay and they can digest it because they have more than one stomach.  Feed a horse hay with a little bit of mold in it and you're liable to kill him, or her dead.  Feed him too much grain and they can founder because they don't really know when to stop eating.   I'm not trying to discourage you at all but it's quite a little bit to learn and take care of.  That said I know I haven't answered your question because I sold mine a year or so ago and don't really know the answer.  Somebody here should be able to tell you better than me.  I would think that one horse wouldn't really be that expensive to take care of if you had a good pasture and a good place to keep em.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

crtreedude

The biggest problem I see with horses is that a good horse is so nice that you will pay for everything happily - biggest pet you ever did see.

We had some guest last weekend and they had young daugthers. As we were walking I called over to Toro and he came over to be petted. The girls were thrilled. He knew he was going to get some serious attention too.

Horses are smart - smarter than I would have ever thought. If they are happy, this is a good thing, but if they are not... you have a heap of trouble on your hands since they are smarter than a dog in my opinion, and a heck of a lot bigger.

We have one horse who can open any gate that isn't tied with a rope! And of course likes to eat the banana trees when they are small... Argh!

Lots of work, lots of problems, in other words, just like kids.

Dana

We have two horses. As far as feed, every day they each get a half a grain scoop of oats. They share one bale of hay as well. They require lots of water in the summer and less in the winter. A good mineral block as well. Our vet charges around 25.00 for their shots (once a year in the spring time) It is also recommended you worm them that is about $15-20 a tube.  One tube per horse 3 or 4 times per spring summer. We don't shoe our horses dyou don't need to if you don't ride on blacktop or have rocky or very hard ground. Triming their hooves cost $35.00 we do that every 6 months but it could be done sooner. We put up our own hay for the cows so the hay isn't a big deal. Don't forget to think about who will care for them when you want to go on vacation or away for the weekend.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

asy

Quote from: crtreedude on December 29, 2005, 08:11:16 PM
Lots of work, lots of problems, in other words, just like kids.

Nup, yer wrong!!!

If you get sick of the horse you can sell it or turn it into sausages... 

They frown on you doing that to kids.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

etat

You also should be aware that some horses, especially mares sometimes eat chickens.   This IS a proven fact, just ask Patty!   :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

crtreedude

Asy,

You worry us sometimes...  :o

You haven't been having those thoughts again, have you?  ???

thecfarm

My wife has a money pit,I mean horse.Cost her $50 to shoe and trim the horse every 6-8 weeks.This cost will vary.Did have one that was $90.Some need to be shod in 6 weeks some can go the 8 weeks.Grain cost is not bad.She only feeds her horse a little more than a pound at each feeding,morning and night,but this can vary too.Depends on how big it is and how much you use it.Hay is a big cost.A horse can eat a bale a day in the winter time.Her's doesn't quite eat a bale a day.Need fencing.She users fiberglass poles and electic tape.Need a charger to keep horse in and bad critters out.Need a warmer to keep the water from freezing.Need a encloser for the horse to stay in.She has 3 differant blankets for the horse,a couple hundred right there.Lots of needs here.She cart rides,so I have no idea about a saddle.The normal shots and de-worming are in there too. Would love to get her an Amish buggy from your neck of the woods.We have Amish friends that we go see in Lancaster County.It's a expensive hobby,but all hobby cost money.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DanG

Horses can be as much or as little trouble as you make them.  Contrary to the beliefs of some, they don't have human emotions or feelings.  They don't need pretty little doodads and fancy halters, and silver plated saddles.  They don't care a hoot about these things.  What they do need is room to move about, good grass or hay, water, and the occasional worming and hoof trimming.  They don't need shoes unless they are being ridden really hard on harsh surfaces.  They don't really need grain, either.  Grass is their natural food, and they do quite well on hay.

One thing they do need is a proper fitting saddle.  To heck with your own butt, get one that fits the horses back!!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

asy

Quote from: crtreedude on December 29, 2005, 09:06:30 PM
Asy,

You worry us sometimes...  :o

You haven't been having those thoughts again, have you?  ???

Yes. I am always having those thoughts...  I suspect my little girl would make good sausages, she's so sweet... hehe

I don't suppose I could sell my son, I'd have to pay someone to take him and I'm stone broke.

lol

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Woodcarver

We had a two ponies and a riding horse (quarter horse) for several years.  The only major expense was the hay we feed during the five months of the year that we weren't able to pasture them, about a bale a day for the horse and a half a bale each for the ponies. Horses might need some grain if they are being worked hard, otherwise, as DanG said, they do fine on hay and pasture.  In fact we had to be careful to buy grass hay and not alalfa or they would get too fat and the ponies would founder.

They were seldom on hard surfaces so we never had them shod.  I did the hoof trimming and worming myself.  Vet bills were few and far between. 

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

crtreedude

DanG, you are right, they ain't human and to act like they are is just silly. Sort of like putting clothes on a dog.

You are right also about the saddles. Toro has his favorite saddle - use another one and you are in for a rough ride because he wants to do the business and be done. Use the right one, and he is content to take all day if you want. Took me a bit to figure it out.

The biggest problem is that a lot of the people giving advice about horses are into really expensive ones. Sort of the difference of having a dog named "ole blue" and "Prince Albert Retriever" or some such thing. Dogs want attention - forget the other things.

The same thing for a horse, fancy stuff might make you happy, but the horse wants ANOTHER HORSE. or dog, or goat, or something for companionship. They hate to be alone. You will do too - if you are around enough.

Ernie_Edwards

We have 2 horses and by the end of the year we have spent about $150.00 a month on them. However, my wife is an experienced farrier, so without her doing that we could otherwise figuer about $70.00 per horse every 6-8 weeks for a farrier if you have them shod everytime, less if they are just trimmed. This is based on hay at $2.00 for a 2 wire bale of hay and buying the grain direct from a feedmill. This also includes 1 visit a year from the vet for a checkup. You want to have a vet on call for emergencies, and a good way to have one is to have him/her come out at least once a year. Ours gives spring shots and worming. Otherwise we do those ourselves the rest of the year.

All bets are off if you develope any health issues. Then the sky is the limit on the cost.

Biggest issue may be the commitment to caring for them day-in and day-out. Kinda restricts your coming and goings.

A lot of people do get by for a lot less, but there are also people who don't do preventive maintenance to their equipment either. There are always 2 or more schools of thought on anything.

Good luck.

Norm

Horses are no more work to have than a dog. I buy big bales of grass for dirt cheap and feed three of them over the winter to our horse. To supplement that I buy a wagon load of oats and feed a couple of gallons every other day. Shoeing is not necessary unless you are going to ride on hard surfaces. Any hoof trimming should be done by yourself, not really a big deal. They also respect an electric fence better than cattle and seem to stay in better. I worm once in the spring and once in the fall, shots we give ourselves but the only one I give is for west nile virus. My guess is I spend 2-3 hundred a year for all of this. My neighbor who thinks her horses are her children spends that much a month on her three nags, you can spend as much or as little as you want.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I supplement Beckys rations with a frozen chicken ocassionally. ::)

bcraw98

DanG, crtreedude, and Norm_F already said it, but......................

We currently have 12 horses that we use on the ranch and rodeos and our vet and feed costs are minimal. I would suggest to anyone buying a horse to try and put them on a large pasture instead of in a stall. They will be much healthier and happier and so will you. About the only time we feed our horses grain, is when we call them up to ride, and then it's just a little treat for coming. If we are working some of them real hard for an extended period when forage is scarce, then they might get a little extra. Our vet bills are limited mainly to the cost of wormer and vaccines, because we do it ourselves. We have an occasional problem that is beyond us and take one to the vet, but it is very rare. A good saddle costs alot, but it lasts a lifetime and loses very little value if taken care of. Most of our horses remain barefoot and I do the trimming. Occasionally, we will take some to the mountains and trail ride and we will shoe them. The main thing I would stress, is that a horse is a very hardy farm animal and thrives on plenty of pasture.

Wife and best Friend, 3 girls and a boy, son-in-law, lots of land, horses, cows, and trees. Life is Good

thedeeredude

Well, thanks for the responses.  I never knew there was so much upkeep with horses.  I think I'll get a cow :D  There wouldn't be much room for it in the backyard but I can turn the garage into a barn ::)  As for getting a horse, I think it would be best to do the lease thing just to see what its like.

HORSELOGGER

Well, I am more in line with bcraw, Norm and somewhat Dang, as far as the low dollar approach. Just like fishing and hunting stuff, most riding horse stuff is marketed to attract the owner, and not needed by the animal. On the emotion thing though ( oh boy, am I ever gonna sound like a weirdo) Although I dont give them " human" emotion, I do believe they have something going on in there. Big drafts are pretty calm and docile, but still water runs deep :) Any time you get a group of horses together , one is gonna decide to be "BOSS" I have had up to 6 drafts, and have 3 now, and my boss horse is a complete jerk to every other horse ever here. Also must people are a bit afraid of him as he likes to stand a little close to their feet and really is indiferent to attention from people. Except me ;) Some how, over the years we have developed a relationship, where I look in his eye , and he knows that I know... :D... Its hard to explain, but I know his tricks , like how he can hang back on a big pull and make his teamate do more of the work, but still make it seem like he's workin. How every time we deck a log, if it is anywhere near the trailer, on the way by he will always try to take a step towards it as if to say , " hey boss is it break time?" But... If he sees me comiing with the collar, he lowers his head so I can reach him, when I show him the bridle, he opens his mouth  for the bit. No matter how big a load he will always try till I say stop. And when we succeed at a big load in a bad spot, and I go up to the front of the team to "high 5" and celebrate with the boys... well, they know. I care for them, they trust me, and in the working , actually accomplishing something of value with them, a relationship is built. I dont really care what it costs me to keep them as they are priceless to have. I enjoy working with them, and for the amount of wood they have decked for me over the years , they have long since payed me for a lifetime of upkeep. The fact that they gain entrance into timber stands that will never see a machine, and are great public relations for my business is just icing on the cake. Sooo... all that rambling said,  I dont give horses human emotion, but I do think they "emote" ;D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

DanG

We're in agreement, HL, you just stated it better than I.  They definitely have emotions and feelings, just not on the same plane as humans.  Even the fanciest horse would be just as happy(but not as safe) with a crappy old wire fence as he would with white board fences and a freshly painted barn.  I will say that in the 15 years I've kept horses, I've learned a lot about human behavior by watching and working with them.  The same goes for dogs.  The horses are like a little community and it isn't hard to figure who the mayor is.  The dogs are another community and their mayor is old and has no teeth left, but he is in charge and all his citizens know it.

Successfully working with horses takes more brain than brawn.  You can not out-physical a horse, but you can make him believe that you are stronger than him by using phsychology on him.  Just as within his own little community, he will do as his leader says.  Occasionally there will be a challenge for leadership, either within the herd, or between horse and handler.  Usually, this happens in the herd when a new horse comes in or one leaves.  The pecking order gets sorted out all over again.  If the horse challenges you for leadership, you must quickly re-assert your dominance or you'll find yourself with a rebellious horse.  This happens much less, or none at all, with horses that are worked regularly.  It happens very frequently with those that are neglected, or if the handler doesn't understand the game.

I have found that all of the above applies to human relationships, as well.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

crtreedude

One of the things that has really won the acceptance of me around the Ticos is how much the horses like me. When it is time to go get the horses - they have to go out as a group - but I just walk out and walk over to Toro - many times he will actually come over to me. Everyone is very impressed.

Toro is boss horse - he isn't the biggest in height, but he is as strong as a bull (the reason for the name) and being not even 6 yet, he has his quirky side. Only me and the Ticos ride him - I don't let visitors - he has a mind of his own and as long as you like that, there is no problems.

He is like mountain biking when you are riding him - he is so compact and strong that he runs the ridges, hills, trails, etc. His disturbing trick is that he loves to run up to the fence gate at full speed and then pull up at the last minute - I sure hope I don't fall off!  ::)

If you just want to walk, it is like a tug of war if he hasn't been ridden for a while.

What was really neat is that we have a filly - and the mom didn't like playing with her that much, but Toro was always game.

Toro is like a huge gentle pet - and he sure is fun to ride if you like it fast and furious. But his trot will loosen the fillings in your teeth.

Patty

Our Becky is like a giant dog. No harder to care for than our lab; and in some ways easier. The dog requires feed daily, and although Becky gets a treat pretty much daily like a scoop of corn or oats, it certainly isn't required. A big round bale lasts her about a month. On the plus side, she doesn't dig holes or bark or chase cars or get in a visitor's car with muddy paws; although she does show off when company comes by running around the pasture bucking and prancing while they oooh and ahhh at her. (she loves that!) She runs around like a wild pony when the combine goes by, or the planter...she is alot of fun. However she is a draft, and drafts are way different than other horses. She is docile and is content to just be petted and groomed like any pet. She has been a wonderful addition to our "family" and has added a great deal of pleasure and entertainment to our farm. I don't regret bringing her to our farm for one moment.  smiley_horserider
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Patty on December 31, 2005, 10:17:08 AM
I don't regret bringing her to our farm for one moment.  smiley_horserider

The chickens, however, do mind.  ;D :D :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

sawguy21

Quote from: Minnesota_boy on December 31, 2005, 11:53:38 AM
The chickens, however, do mind.  ;D :D :D :D
Where horses are horses and chickens are scared. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Roxie

:D :D :D :D :D  Ain't it so!!   :D
Say when

weimedog

About cost and hassle relative to horses? It depends. It also depends on who you go to and how
sound your horse is. We re-hab ex race horses. Sometimes the tracks can't give them away..sometimes
you can spend thousands.

Forget steriotypes as well. Got to look at individual horses.
We have 14 here now...11 of ours and 3 borders.

1) Quarter Horse we brough out from Colorado...he's typical Quarter horse from that region...16plus
hands, decent but not perfect conformation and an easy keeper...dooesn't NEED shoes.
2) A Colorado "mutt" of a horse, cross between an Arab and Quarter horse..but looks too
   much like a mustange. Amazing horse. Daughter won a pile of ribbons. Best trail horse ever.
   Can eat *DanG near anything and still keep weight on. Good confermation, never gets sick
  We spent less than a thousand on her.
3) Two Percheron Draft horses. Both relatively easy keepers. Also not picky about what they eat.
    One needs shoes and one doesn't..(100 bucks a shoeing for the one!) Slow but nice personallities.
4) A Percheron Thouroughbred cross. Yet ANOTHER easy keeper. Got the best traits of both breeds...
5) 6 ex track horses currently. (We have re-habbed a bunch more) Have a mix of panic time and
    wonderful!!! One named Monster (track name was "On the Ballance" is the best personallity in the
   barn. Period. 16-2 hand horse only raced twice. Big legs & feet (Why he wasn't fast) and doesn't
   need shoes or anything else special. Perfect horse...is being train for dressage & eventing. The other
   end of that TB spectrum is a club footed crazy mare named "Jettalyn" Will never be good for anyone
   but I like her and she's my pasture pet.

Bottom line is this...you know the right people and horses are not that expensive....finding solid
inexpensive horses is easy. Know the wrong people and it can and will suck you dry financially.

Couple of things that bring the cost down...
1) Owning your own facility where you have the pasture space, hay making capability....and barn
    with stalls. If you don't own then you better have a freind who does...other wise you are going
   to spend 200 dollars a month at the low end to over 500 buckeroo's to someone who does...
   and thats before hay expenses.
2) DON'T believe all you hear..especially from those who sell horses. There is a GLUT of good horses
    looking for caring homes. You don't always get what you pay for...and sometimes you can
   find the perfect horse for pennies as compared to standard channels.
3) Have a good ferrier. That can be the difference between a meat can and a solid horse. You can't
   imagin how many horror stories we have both heard and fixed created by so called experts just
   milking caring horse owners.
4) Get involved with the horse community both locally and thru internet nationally. Amazing amount
   of information available.
5) research thru the local horse community before selecting a vet. (Fortunatly we were close to
   CSU in Colorado and now close to Cornell here in NYS...very important to have those kind of
   resources available.
6) DON"T pay attention to sterio types...that can have you miss the perfect horse because someone
   convinced you one breed or another will never product a good horse for a given situation.

For example....we came to NYS complete Quater Horse biggots...if it wasn't a Quarter Horse it needs to
go to FRANCE.in a can. 

My Daughters introduction to Polo started an epiphany and the rescue operation we have built after
stumbling into a few desperate Thouroughbreds have completed the eye opening. Also the warm
blood thing gets interesting.....but another day.

When questioning the Polo coach about why ALL their horses and most in that league were TB's he
basically said it was that way because they were the only breed smart enough to learn the game...
A later exchange he asked me this "Why can a Quarter Horse have 75% ThouroughBred and still be
a quarter horse???"

We still like our Quarter Horses..but have found other breeds can product good horses too.

Anyway. By my calculation we spend around 150 dollars a month per horse as an average.
You can find tack at auctions for cheap...even good stuff. Know what you are looking for first as
the saddle has to fit the rider AND the horse....

Every spring we have a draft horse auction here in Cortland NYS and I watch amazing horses go
for next to nothing. Many to the meat folks which would be really nice horses for someone.

Last comment....the more "made" the horse is supposed to be...the more you will spend. Sometimes
thats not a guarentee of success.......back to the beginning. Get involved with the local horse
community. 4-H sometimes is the best starting point. If your an adult there are riding clubs all
over.

By the way..Norm-F's comments about his horse mirror our experience with our Draft Horses.....
They are usually easykeepers. As he said worm them twice a year....feed them grass hay...trim
them etc...Simple to own. Big pets. I would also add that the electric option for fencing is the ONLY
one that works for them! They will either push over or EAT any other fence type! (And your barn if
you miss a feeding or two)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

dail_h

World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

thedeeredude

Dail,
   I always heard that but why?  The amish are starting to switch to mules for draft around here.

PawNature

If you are going to work. Mules will out work horses any day. But don't try ridding one any faster than a walk. They are a regular jolt wagon. Now Festus on Gun smoke had a riding mule but I never say it run.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

FiremanEd

The best way to make a small fortune in the horse world is to start out with a HUGE fortune.

I married a horse one time.... what the dang horses didn't cost me the divorce did...

1st question I ask a women when I meet her is "do you like horses", a yes answer get's well wishes for a good life.
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Burlkraft

Amen Fireman.....................

I could never tell Jill that...too far into it already for that ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

But her lease horse seemed to be the perfect answer ;) ;) ;) ;)

She gets to smell like horses and I don't have to look at 'em 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Ernie_Edwards

Quote from: dail_h on December 31, 2005, 10:15:11 PM
   MULES IS BETTER

Dail,

As a mule lover I can't agree more. Anything a horse can do a mule can do better.

In Az I had as many as 12 mules at a time, bigtime into packing into to back country for hunting, fishing or just getting away.

My wife is an avid horse lover and still has 2 of them. I got rid of my mules as the riding in Michigan is not my style.

A couple of things I have told Darla is (I can say it here cause she won't be reading this)

1. Horses ears are the same size as mules ears, it's just that the mules brain is fully developrd and pushed the whole ear out.

2. Horses are good for 2 things, making mules and dogfood.

Patty

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 31, 2005, 01:04:32 PM
Where horses are horses and chickens are scared. ;D

Yea, I won't mention the sheep.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

thecfarm

When we went to OH to see the Amish they would hook up mules on the outside of a 6-8 hitch.They claimed the mules are not as clumsy,would not step on plants when turning,would not run into anything at the end of the rows.If there was something at the end of the rows,stonewall,fence,the mules would not run into it and skin their legs up.We saw this alot in OH.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodcarver

I have two cousins who own riding and pack mules.  When they travel to the western states to hunt, the mules go with them.  More sensible and sure-footed in the mountains than a horse.

One of the cousins is an avid coon hunter.  He and his wife ride mules when they are night hunting.  When the come to a fence they dismount and climb over the fence.  The mules jump the fence, they re-mount and continue their hunt.   

crtreedude

There are advantages to mules for sure - One is that you cannot make a mule do something stupid - a horse will sometimes do it anyway - proving you both wrong.

However, if you want to race a mule against a horse, just let me know if you think a mule can do anything a horse can...

Tom

AS good as a Mule is, he/she can't make another mule.  :)

I've always wanted to see a team of Bi-i-ig mules at a horse pulling.

HORSELOGGER

Well, from what I've seen of em around here, aint no amount of sweet talkin, nor cussin and whippin that can make them get on a load once they they think it aint gonna come. I like a good honest pair of horses, they leave it all out for ya 8)
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Woodcarver

My grandfather had a draft mare, a Belgian, that had that attitude.  He said she would give it all she had on the first try.  If whatever she was hooked to didn't move, no amount of persausion would get her to try a second time. 

Ernie_Edwards

Quote from: crtreedude on January 01, 2006, 06:47:12 PM

However, if you want to race a mule against a horse, just let me know if you think a mule can do anything a horse can...

For a while in Arizona I was into endurance racing.  50 miles of running thru the mountains with only 3 stops for vet checks. Usually an Arab would win the 1st place across the finish line. However the most prestegious award was the best conditioned animal. This was determined by a vote of all the vets and their rating of many things including recovery of resperation and pulse rates. Hydration and overall condition played a big part.

It was not uncommon for a mule to get that award. Sure did agravate the owners of those $30,000.00 arabs, especially in a sport that they thought was for them alone.

My second mule was a nice 16-2 hand mule that won the first and many following mule races at Riudoso Downs in New Mexico. When I had him I could beat everything I was up against till an Apendix mare owned by a friend just barely beat us. I bought that mare to raise a mule out of but she would never settle.

Also spent a lot of time helping a neighboring rancher  work the cattle on his Forset Service lease of 21,000 acres of some pretty tough country. He would show up every day on a new horse so yesterdays horse could recuperate.  I just brought the same mule day after day.

If you give a mule the same advantage of breeding, the same mother horse of a certian breed, you will find that the mule will do pretty good for you. A draft mule of the same weight as a draft horse will outperform the horse.
But you have to be smart enough not to ask it to do something that will hurt it as a mule is smart enough to not hurt itself.

Most dyed in the wool horse owners have a hard time either with an animal as unbecomming as a mule, or in some cases can't stand a critter that is smarter than they are.

Only horse I ever had that I was pleased with was a big mare mustang I adopted from the BLM. She wore a #4 shoe, for those who know what that means. Well, I got her to raise mules out of and got 2 wonderful mules from her. Smartest horse I ever rode in the mountains as that is where she grew up. But I could always tell that there was a possibility that she would do something stupid, and I never felt that on a mule.

Had my friend kiss one mule, Nancy, for a picture. He did and asked why. Well, I told him, I always wanted a picture of you kissing my          .(fill in the blank yourself)
He's still getting me back for that.

Frickman

A mule is a horse with brains. smiley_scholar smiley_scholar

I've made alot of money over the years selling hay, corn, and oats to horse owners. Many of them had more horse than pasture and fed year round. I just smile all the way to the bank.    :) :)
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

UNCLEBUCK

If anyone wants to see a good selection of equestrian shows check out the tv schedule on www.rfdtv.com  its quite interesting and the shows are on everyday .  I had always let horses run with the beef cows and they only got what the herefords didnt want . It didnt cost me anything .  I hope to have horses once again as soon as I am 100% positive I will be home for good to do chores . My old truckin boss had 6 semi trucks and it was  horseshoes from minnesota to california every week to little ma and pa shoeing and tack shops . Whenever I arrived people would be waiting for a certain size horseshoe box , all the women were dressed up like tammy wynette and the men like george strait and sometimes it was like walking onto the front porch of the hee-haw tv set , the smell of leather and money , it was awesome and I can see where one could get carried away and want to get the latest gear . I even would stop at the roy rogers museum up in victorville ,ca and see old trigger . Everybody remembers trigger . Oh you have to get a horse deeredude ,
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

MULE_MAN

OK !!! Here's my 2 cents,  on cost I always like to have more pasture then stock
And only have to feed Hay when there's snow on the ground . And I bale more
Hay off the place then the stock can eat during the winter, so that's not a problem

As far as grain. If they're not being used  daily . They don't get any. just enough
to keep them coming up to the barn & keep them gentle & come when there called.
I have raised Reg. Quarter Horse & Reg. Belgian, But for the last 12 years have
pretty well settled on Mules. We raised them out of good Quarter Horse Mare's
They have the Quarter Horse conformation , plus the speed .

Today Mules are not like the old raw bone's Mule of the past , If you use a good mare
with brains you'll get a Mule the same way. When my son was still in school he would
put them in competition against Barrel racing horse & has beat them in speed event's
I knew it blew people minds when he would ride his Mule in the ring & probably some people laugh
But they weren't laughing when they announced the time & his Mule Lucky out ran there Horse !!!

I know that one show we when to several years ago when we were coming home, My son
ask me what I thought those people thought of there Horse now !!! I laughed and told him
you'll probably hear gun shots going off all over the country. There going home & shoot there
Horse. I was just kidding him, We got a good laugh out of it any how !!

We pretty well quit rasing them now, But still have 4 Mules out in pasture that we just trail ride & go to
Colorado Elk hunting when time permits. I just feel that a well train Mule is allot tougher then a
horse & allot more sure footed then a Horse. And when properly trained will really but it over
most Horse's . Just my 2 cents !
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

johncinquo

They moved the Roy Rogers museum from Victorville out to Branson.  With all the tourists going there already it was a $ decison, whos gonna go out to Victorville volountarily!    My pap and I dug out Roy and Dales swimmin pool years ago. What a couple of nice folks. 

I've ridden pleasure, amatuer competition, and worked cattle.   I still love to ride on occasion and own part of a 4h show horse.  She takes care of it all the time, I ride a couple times a year.  When she sells it off I get most of my money back.   My best advice- Buy a quad!   at the end of the day you turn the key off, and your done.   Now if I didnt have 2 kids, a mortgage, and expensive habits and hobbies, i'd be living in the front end of a trailer with a couple goods mounts and not much else. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Ernie_Edwards

Quote from: Tom on January 01, 2006, 09:05:48 PM

AS good as a Mule is, he/she can't make another mule.  :)

Tom,

That is why they have a long face. :'(

beenthere

Horselogger
How is the horse logging going this winter?  Are the woods a bit on the muddy side? 
Thinking of a side trip down for a short visit if we can pick a good time on your end in the next couple weeks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

When??
Kinda waitin' to hear from you on 'when' would be a good time.... :)

Any good days the next couple weeks - 'cept Fridays?

PM me a phone number and when would be a good time to give you a call.
Thanks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

eagles nest

my horse is like a big dog thats what i call her most time she eats 3-4 big round bailes in winter (i trade milling logs for the hay} & pasture rest of the time i feed 1/2 of a 3 lb coffie can of cattle cubes a day cost about
$ 10. a month havent had a vet bill in years in 15 years the vet has been out 3 times so my cost is about $10 or 12 $ a month tack is left over from show cercit in 1977
i dont see what all the fuss is about my wife spends more on 12 chickens than i do on my wood lot cruser{horse} draw back is mine gets lonely
if i get busy
she plays with our chickens& dogs

Tonys other half

Here is something to think about.  Horses are like kids.  If you have to have a vet come out more then once a year for shots you need help.  To get your horses shod up here is $45 and trimming is $20 in iowa anyway.  A normal horse only eats about $5 a week, unless you feed them grain.  All horses need is hay (alfafa and grass mixture).  I only spend about $200 in the summer to have the vet come and give them their shots (3 horses: Red, Sassy, and Howdy.)  Remember ladies a sawmill cost more then a horse ever will.  Just think of the eletric or gas they will use.  A horse all you have to do is to treat them like a kid and you get to go riding.  That is the funnest part all it all.  With a horse it is a one time cost, brushes, hoof pick, saddle, and bridle if you take care the items.  With a sawmill things wear out!  It is hard to ask a question about horses because your a horse lover or your not there is no in between. 

Thank You Sponsors!