iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moisture Meters

Started by WoodBurner19, September 18, 2016, 04:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodBurner19

I searched for this topic but did not find anything.  Can anyone please recommend a worthy moisture meter for firewood, I do not mind spending a few bucks more for a quality one.  Thanks guys!!!
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

glassman_48

WoodBurner19,
You might try looking under moisture meter, I remember the forestry forum had a topic on this a while back.  I am looking for one also, so waiting for some more info on this.

Robert Owens

Moisture meters are discussed under the saw milling section and I remember reading about them about a year ago. I have a Delmhorst that I bought for checking wood for building furniture. Not sure if you need one like that for firewood but there are a few different brands both analog and digital that would work well. You can look online for sawmill supplies and learn about the different brands and their sensitivities. Hope this helps.

WoodBurner19

Thank you Robert. I found it under Sawmill & Millings forum.  Page 37,  "What Moisture Meter do you use".  You started the thread & I thank you for that! I was able to write down a few recommended meters. I will choose one this week. :)
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

WoodBurner19

Finally, after some research I found one that I believe works good. I bought the Lignomat E/D for firewood only. You can choose what suits you best.
For those of you looking for one I have some options for you. Hope this helps!
The list is as follows,

Delmhorst rdm3     $661
Delmhorst J2000    $328
Wagner MM220      $395
Wagner  MMC210   $375
Lignomat E/D         $100
Dmiotech               $29

WoodBurner19

I cut this piece of oak in 1/2 to check the moisture in the center. Not too bad!  It's also been seasoning for 2 years.
I used the 7/16" pins that came with it.

woodmills1

I am pretty sure a moisture check on end grain will give a false reading, I would suggest testing the face.  I use a David White pin type for firewood, it also says tramex on it.  I have a pin less Wagner for boards.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WoodBurner19

Quote from: woodmills1 on October 02, 2016, 07:43:24 PM
I am pretty sure a moisture check on end grain will give a false reading, I would suggest testing the face.  I use a David White pin type for firewood, it also says tramex on it.  I have a pin less Wagner for boards.

I agree with you. Thats why I cut the piece of Oak directly in half and took a reading from the dead center. I cannot get any more center than that. Right?

woodmills1

no you get a false reading at the end of any piece.  You need to put the pins in the face and they should be across the grain.  stand the meter up and use it on the wider flat not the end

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

williaty

Quote from: WoodBurner19 on October 02, 2016, 08:53:26 PM
Quote from: woodmills1 on October 02, 2016, 07:43:24 PM

I agree with you. Thats why I cut the piece of Oak directly in half and took a reading from the dead center. I cannot get any more center than that. Right?
No, you've got it wrong (or at least off by 90 degrees). You need to *split* the wood and then measure in the center of the freshly spit *face*. Try to keep both pins in the same growth ring/grain line as well.

WoodBurner19

Ok Williaty & woodsmill1,  I will split a piece this weekend & take 2 readings from the advice that you both give. We'll see what happens :)

woodmills1

WoodBurner19

Here is a picture of a fresh split piece of Cherry with meter in center with a 28% reading.

Here's the same piece but on the end grain at 23%.  So I guess there is a difference on where you take the readings!

Thank You Sponsors!