iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

453 loading up and lots of white smoke!

Started by RKH Logging, June 03, 2014, 11:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKH Logging

Treeslayer evan with this much coolant in the air box you dont think its the sleeve o rings? Im confused.

treeslayer2003

not usually.........detroits and coolant problems normally mean head or gasket problems.
how ever, any things possible..........i'm curios as to what happened..........

RKH Logging

ok im lost. the other day before i pulled the engine i put 2 gallons of antifreeze in the reservoir and as fast as i poured it in it came out the air box drain. now that the motor is out i capped off all the coolant lines, and filled the engine with water and pressurized the hole system with 25lbs i let it sit pressurized for 30 minutes. well it was sitting thiere pressurized i shined a flash light into the air box cover just waiting for the water to come out and i got nothing. i have not turned the engine over since the last time i put coolant in so all the pistons are in the exact same spot in thier sleeves.

im getting really confused now. i thought that as soon as i put the water in it would just poor into the air box but its not. now what?

RKH Logging

I took the exhaust manifold off to see if i could see which cylinder was burning the anti freeze and i cant tell each exhaust port looks the same as the others.

lumberjack48

Take your finger and wipe it in the exhaust port, the one that tastes sweet is the one leaking.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

tantoy

If you haven't pulled head yet, try pulling injectors and pressurizing cooling system. If injector tube is leaking you could see it. Here is a picture of my 353 I have been working on. Good luck

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

beenthere

tantoy
For that picture of the 353, and for the uneducated, what are we looking at there?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bert

I had a cracked block on a Detroit between the liner and airbox. Coolant came out the crack and filled the airbox. It was much worse when the engine was hot as the crack opened up. My motor had to be junked. I chased  a lot of the likely problems before finding the crack. Take all of the inspection covers off and take a look around with a flashlight. That's one possible problem.
Saw you tomorrow!

treeslayer2003

Quote from: beenthere on June 19, 2014, 12:31:31 PM
tantoy
For that picture of the 353, and for the uneducated, what are we looking at there?
you are looking at the top of the cylinder head..........the brass rings are the tops of the injector tubes..........some of the valves and the injectors are missing.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: RKH Logging on June 17, 2014, 06:35:33 PM
I took the exhaust manifold off to see if i could see which cylinder was burning the anti freeze and i cant tell each exhaust port looks the same as the others.
any news?

treeslayer2003

bump............im really curios as to what happened here

rockwall

whitepine2

Quote from: Bert on June 19, 2014, 01:50:48 PM
I had a cracked block on a Detroit between the liner and airbox. Coolant came out the crack and filled the airbox. It was much worse when the engine was hot as the crack opened up. My motor had to be junked. I chased  a lot of the likely problems before finding the crack. Take all of the inspection covers off and take a look around with a flashlight. That's one possible problem.
Ditto on this been there done that.Had to get a new block and start over guess this is a weak spot with 53's

RKH Logging

Number four cylinder had a pinched o ring. Its still in the shop ive been down 3 weeks now. The blower had to be resealed also, And the valve seals. I have been depressed for the past few weeks not getting any work done and no money coming in. I sold some split firewood off the landing and what ever i could retrive with the pick up to substitude some income. Things like this makes me want to go back working per hour for someone. But thats the name of the game. I got a few backhoe jobs to hold me over next week and im hoping to have the engine back in by next friday.

treeslayer2003

ain't that sumthin.........ima be into one before to long i think.

keep yer chin up bro, things will get better

ehp

did they do anything else ?, check the rod and main bearings ? piston rings? anti freeze is quite hard on these parts , seen way to many main bearings spin on the crank after anti freeze gets in the motor oil and it does not take much of it .

RKH Logging

Quote from: ehp on July 16, 2014, 07:03:30 PM
did they do anything else ?, check the rod and main bearings ? piston rings? anti freeze is quite hard on these parts , seen way to many main bearings spin on the crank after anti freeze gets in the motor oil and it does not take much of it .

No anti freeze got into the oil just in the air box and blower. All the bearings are brand new. The motor had new bearings and pistons and sleves put in it last year.

RKH Logging

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on July 16, 2014, 06:07:34 PM
ain't that sumthin.........ima be into one before to long i think.

keep yer chin up bro, things will get better

Thanks man. I guess weve all been here before its just another hill to climb.

chester_tree _farmah

Hang in there RKH. Just a bump in the old road. :-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

rockwall

What's happening now with your machine? Good news I hope!

Thank You Sponsors!