iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS362 chain won't spin when revved.

Started by MTSawyerboy, June 28, 2018, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTSawyerboy

So I have a 362 that starts up fine and idles well, but when I pull the trigger and rev the engine the chain will not spin. Doesn't even spin a little bit. It sounds like it is bogged down or the chain brake is on. (It's not). Clutch/drum spin by hand when I opened it, and the brake band is fine. Choke shutters move normally. Everything appears fine and in order, until I go to run it. I tried putting on a different clutch (not a new one but one from the parts bin) and it was the same deal.

If anyone has had a similar issue and knows of a fix or suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

sawguy21

Check the bar tip sprocket, it may be seized.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Can you turn the chain by hand? I've taken the bar and chain off and reved the motor to see it if will rev up. BUT rev it just a little,don't rev it up even half throttle,just a quick bleep. Seem like someone sent thier sprocket or something just a flying or rolling across the lawn into the house at a very fast rate of speed. :o Might even be one of the drivers bent too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hedgerow

Maine372

MTSawyerboy

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 28, 2018, 07:48:54 PM
Bar tip sprocket turns freely, I can move it by hand but it wont budge when trigger is pulled while running.

MTSawyerboy

Quote from: thecfarm on June 28, 2018, 08:16:53 PM
Can you turn the chain by hand? I've taken the bar and chain off and reved the motor to see it if will rev up. BUT rev it just a little,don't rev it up even half throttle,just a quick bleep. Seem like someone sent thier sprocket or something just a flying or rolling across the lawn into the house at a very fast rate of speed. :o Might even be one of the drivers bent too.
Yup, I can move it by hand, it just wont go on its own when I turn it on and pull the trigger. Drivers and chain in general are good.

MTSawyerboy

Quote from: Maine372 on June 29, 2018, 05:54:07 AM
do the chain and bar gauges match?
Yup, we've been running the same chain type and bars here for a while, its gotta be something going on in the powerhead, just stumped as to what it could be...

MTSawyerboy

Quote from: hedgerow on June 28, 2018, 08:17:16 PM
Quote from: sawguy21 on June 28, 2018, 07:48:54 PM
+1
I checked it, turns normally. No bent drivers on the chain or anything like that. Issue must be coming from powerhead. Pretty stumped on what it could be though. I've tried a different clutch and the drum/sprocket are new. Same results.

barbender

Are you sure your low speed jet (or is this an electronic carb) isn't out of adjustment? Could also be an air leak causing a lean bog.
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

The chain should still move, he is missing something.

barbender

No, if he has a bad low speed lean condition, the engine won't speed up therefore the clutch won't engage. I had a saw that would do this when it was cold out, due to a leaking carb boot.

joe_indi

How does the saw rev with the bar and chain removed, powerhead only?

MTSawyerboy

Quote from: joe_indi on June 30, 2018, 01:07:29 AM
How does the saw rev with the bar and chain removed, powerhead only?
So I just tried it with the bar off. When I disengage the chain brake, the drum spins at what I'd describe as a medium rate of speed. However when I tried to rev it up it didn't go any faster, making the same bogged down sound. I'm feeling a little more perplexed than I already was.

sawguy21

I assumed (I know, that's dangerous) it was a bar/chain problem but obviously not. Remove and check the muffler screen, it may be plugged with carbon. If not the saw is running too lean due to an intake air leak or lack of fuel.

MTSawyerboy

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 02, 2018, 11:46:51 AM
I assumed (I know, that's dangerous) it was a bar/chain problem but obviously not. Remove and check the muffler screen, it may be plugged with carbon. If not the saw is running too lean due to an intake air leak or lack of fuel.
Do you know how I'd go about looking for/locating an air leak? Wouldn't it still be able to turn somewhat? I'm thinking maybe the other clutch I put on was also worn and that could be the issue. Worn out springs so it wont engage perhaps?

Hilltop366

Just remove the entire clutch and start the engine to eliminate or confirm it as the cause.

If not the clutch my money is on the high speed circuit in the carb.

(well really it your money)

barbender

My money is on the low speed jet, or an air leak. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in, when I was checking a saw for an air leak I sprayed carb cleaner in the suspect areas. Mine ended up being the carb boot.

Grandpa

Kind of a long shot, but I did hear of one where the rev limiter in the coil screwed up and wouldn't let the saw rev up. There used to be video of it on youtube but I can't find it now. It did sound like a lean/air leak situation.

kalevan

I once did a cut where the chip chute was blocked. Chips filled up the chain cover and in between the clutch cover and brake band. 
The saw "bogged down." (go figure:-)
A thorough cleaning restored the saw to "normal."
It required removing the screw at the back end of the brake band, and jimmying it out to get to the chips so I even had a hope of pulling the clutch cover off. A PITA... 
If you have an air compressor and jet nozzle available, get it thoroughly cleaned out. 

Could the clutch be worn out? Are the guts in tact? 

While you're at it, grease the needle bearing under the clutch cover. 

sablatnic

Quote from: Grandpa on July 03, 2018, 06:04:25 PM
Kind of a long shot, but I did hear of one where the rev limiter in the coil screwed up and wouldn't let the saw rev up. There used to be video of it on youtube but I can't find it now. It did sound like a lean/air leak situation.

I have had a hedge trimmer do the same. New coil and it was fine again. 

Thank You Sponsors!