iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Dorian

Started by John Mc, August 29, 2019, 01:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

It looks as though Hurricane Dorian could hit Florida or Georgia on the holiday weekend as a Cat 3 or possible Cat 4 Hurricane. I hope any FF members in the area are in a good place ti weather the storm.

I have some old friends on Elbow Key (off Abaco) who I've lost touch with over the years. It looks as though they may get hammered as well.

Stay safe, everyone!
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

WDH

Mooseherder (Glenn), looks to be in the crosshairs.  Ellmoe (Mark), and Caveman (Kyle) as well.  Maybe Nomad (Bill). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Danny, the edge, or more, will get y'all, you Georgia boys keep your heads on a swivel.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

After Hurricane Michael came through here as a Cat 1 more than 180 miles inland, I take nothing for granted anymore.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

florida

Not trying to make light of it but it's just weather. Actually it's the least dangerous big  weather  event we can have. Heat killed 20X more people in the US last year than hurricanes did,  floods, about 15X as many, tornados about 15X as many, cold, lighting, wind, all killed far more people than hurricanes. At least with hurricanes we ger lots of warning, too much in my opinion, so have lots of options to protect ourselves.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Ed_K

My son lives in St. Augustine just txt me an said maybe sunday afternoon he'll put the storm shutters on the windows. It depends on track but he has the truck gassed up just in case.
Ed K

John Mc

Quote from: florida on August 30, 2019, 07:44:37 AM
Not trying to make light of it but it's just weather. Actually it's the least dangerous big  weather  event we can have. Heat killed 20X more people in the US last year than hurricanes did,  floods, about 15X as many, tornados about 15X as many, cold, lighting, wind, all killed far more people than hurricanes. At least with hurricanes we ger lots of warning, too much in my opinion, so have lots of options to protect ourselves.
Good point. For that matter, many more people are killed in car accidents each year, but I don't send everyone "best wishes" every time they get in a car. (My mother does: she has a sort of "blessing" she says to everyone as they leave after visiting her: "Drive safely, and may you encounter other safe and alert drivers only")

I have lots of friends and relatives in areas regularly hit by tornadoes, but since there is much less notice of those, my comments generally come after the fact (are you OK? any damage? need any help?)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Roxie

The hysterics of the weather people don't help the situation at all.  When I was young, the forecasters would say things like, "the hurricane made land fall at ______," or "the hurricane came ashore at _______."  Today they say, "it slammed into ______" or "_______ faced the hurricanes wrath" "it threatens millions in it's path."

All weather is treated this way today, and when everything is a disaster, nothing is a disaster. 

God bless 'em and keep our southern brothers safe, but this ain't their first rodeo. 

Say when

K-Guy

Either way, disaster or beautiful weather........They blame it on the cult of Global Climate Change.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

rjwoelk

Roxie you got it right. No mater what happens it is all over done with the adjectives. We have the same thing here, record braking this and that, and the record might have been 1 degree over the 40 or 50 deg F. Big deal weather is weather, I have never been near hurricanes. But we do get any were from a couple to dozen tornado's a year. But being only a little over a million people in the province (It has an area of 651,900 square kilometres (251,700 sq mi), nearly 10 percent of which (59,366 square kilometres (22,900 sq mi)) is fresh water, composed mostly of rivers, reservoirs, and the province's 100,000 lakes. ) The south part is were they hit. Sometime wiping out farms or towns etc.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

firefighter ontheside

I was hoping to be deployed to help, but I didn't make the roster.  About 15 FEMA search and rescue task forces are on their way to Jacksonville.  They are saying possible Cat 5.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on August 30, 2019, 08:33:37 PM
I was hoping to be deployed to help, but I didn't make the roster.  About 15 FEMA search and rescue task forces are on their way to Jacksonville.  They are saying possible Cat 5.
Your crews are going. You know those duties can be rough on the mind after about 48 hours. It was the post hurricane duties up here that were pretty much what overflowed my cup and sent me into the dark hole for a few years. Rough and dangerous work. God Bless all those who enter the corridor, may they exit unscathed. And yes, if I had the chance and there was a need, I would be anxious to get back in the middle, I can't help myself. It's what we do.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

ellmoe

The biggest problem around here will be the rain. We are already at flood conditions and slow moving storms drop a lot of water . There is no where for more water to go, swamps , rivers , ponds , are all full . After Irma two years ago our neighbor's dock was just about under water . Now , I can't see the dock . We have had rain at the mill for all but four days since the 1st of July , and three of the dry days were earlier this week! I haven't been able to get a mulch truck in here for six weeks . Wednesday I called my customer and told him he had about two days to pick up some mulch . Wrong ! We got flooded this afternoon . The swamps are so high the cottonmouths have moved into the mill . If it gets any wetter , we may start seeing catfish!
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

caveman

I would really prefer that this storm just blow some fish around and not make landfall.  This tropical cyclone has cranked up considerably over the past 24 hours.  Just a few days ago it was predicted to be a tropical storm that would dump a lot of water. Now it seems like it will deal misery if it does come ashore.

In case any of you were wondering, the skeeters are already benefitting from the excess surface water that Ellmoe mentioned.  We have had standing water in parts of our yard for three weeks.  Last night, after a lightning strike took out our transformer, I was outside talking to the linemen who were waiting on a replacement (one was my son in law and the other was a former student).  We had clouds of mosquitoes around us.
Caveman

John Mc

From Friday's New York Times:
"If Dorian maintains its strength, it will be the most powerful hurricane to make landfall on Florida's east coast in almost 30 years."

It's also arriving during the time of the King Tides on the east coast, which could make flooding and storm surge worse.

caveman

When we started working this morning at 6:30 we fully anticipated spending tomorrow boarding up.  After spending 14-15 hours cutting, loading, hauling, and unloading pond cypress it seems that we may have dodged a bullet.  We are still in the cone of misery but just barely.  I hope that it continues to track eastward and spare all of us the experience.  It would please me that if in a year from now that nobody even remembers Dorian.
Caveman

rjwoelk

It sounds like the Bahamas will get the brunt of it. 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Claybraker

Evacuation orders for Fernandina. Makes sense, being as it's a barrier island with only one way on or off. Most folks I know been ready since Wednesday.

xlogger

I was heading down to the coast this past weekend to start finishing up repair on our place from the last hurricane. I didn't do anything but tie up outside furniture and move golf cart to high ground. I might head back Wed to do more or bring some things back. The latest track dark line which could change show we are closes to where it will be off shore here in NC.
This retirement place is becoming a PINA. 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

florida

The only possible reason the news media is talking about King Tides is to scare people. King Tides are what used to be called Spring Tides and only happen on the full or new moon which was 2 weeks ago. Actually the Tides now are st their lowest. Surely the media knows that.
Retired now!

Roxie

That doesn't play well into their mass hysteria programming.  Then they always seem so disappointed that we all didn't die.  Of course, they are heavily invested since they began "Live Coverage:  Tracking Dorian" over a week ago and they still don't know where the storm will track, or when it will get here.  Weren't they predicting it would hit Florida on Sunday?  Don't even get me started on the 'spaghetti' charts, or the cone of expected impact.  You can't make this stuff up. 

Say when

florida

Roxie,
I agree. It's all a crisis until it isn't. I wonder how  much money people on the west side of Florida spent on food, gas and getting out of town for a hurricane that was a never a danger to us. I do understand the need for caution and being prepared but scaring people is not the way to do it. I'm prepared every day of the year. I'll need to put my plywood up but it's cut and marked in the shed, I usually have 4 full cans of gas. We have plenty of food and water, tarps and plastic.
I see the governor of SC has declared a mandatory evacuation for all the coastal counties and even closed I 26 to southeast bound traffic so people evaucating could use it. I just lookied at a traffic cam  north of Charleston and there is virtually no traffic.  Who can afford a week off work, motel bills assuming you could find one this side of western TN and the gas and meals you'll need? 
Retired now!

btulloh

The track of the hurricane is uncertain, but there's a 100% chance the governors will be criticized for jumping the gun / waiting too long. 
HM126

xlogger

We had those tides Thursday and Friday night at Atlantic Beach, NC.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

caveman

We are getting rain now from the outflow bands but we will likely miss the brunt of this storm.  I am thankful that they did not predict this one accurately.  It would please me to have this storm weaken and stay offshore.  The Bahamas evidently took a beating.  This storm, with its slow movement and high winds/rain would be like being in a wet tornado.  There may be some good deals on new/used generators in the coming weeks.  Good luck to all of you who are still in the cone of possible misery.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!