iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makita DCS 400 Chain Saw / Dolmar 34/45 ( so iv'e been told ???? )

Started by Whitty, November 27, 2015, 03:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitty

Good Morning and a Happy Thanks Giving from the UK
Can anyone tell me how to pull off the Flywheel on my DCS 400, the pullcord assembly is on the underside, I've overpulled the pullcord, and has come off or broken ?? i assume it needs a top puller, i was going to make one but cannot find any screws to fit the pre tapped scew holes in the flywheel.
Has anyone ever repaired the same, would be really gratefull for any advice
Thanks a Lot
Whitty from the UK

dougand3

Welcome, Whitty. The DCS 400 pulls off like most any flywheel. I just parted a DCS 400 out and here is how I did it: Loosen flywheel nut till nut is above crankshaft. Hold saw by flywheel. Tap nut with hammer. Key is not hit crankshaft directly or you may mess up threads. I have also looped thin wire under flywheel to make a cradle and hold wire while hitting nut. Keep the recoil spring in it's position or it's not fun to rewind.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

SawTroll

To the heading; I believe the DCS-400 is the PS-401/411, and not the crappy and ugly 34/45.

If so, it is a decent little saw.
Information collector.

CR888

Sounds like you have broken a 'starter pawl' and that needs replacing. While not familiar with that particular saw design l am confused as to why the flywheel would need removing to fix something wrong with the starter assembly unless you broke the bits off the flywheel/fan that the pawls grab onto. Starter pawls are cheap and easy to replace.

dougand3

This saw is different than most. The pulley, spring, rope, starter pawls are UNDER the flywheel. The "starter recoil housing" is just a flywheel cover - piece of plastic with 4 screw holes.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Whitty

Hello Dougand3
Thanks a lot for your responce, would you believe it, before i opened your letter, i messed around, shaking my head in my garage , i finally decided the flywheel had to be pulled upwards after seeing the tiny keyway slot on the flywheel, i had made myself a primative puller going across and over the undone locknut on the shaft, with 2 No set screws fixed down into the pre drilled holes in flywheel, one turn, just on one of the screw's and off it came, and at the same time the pullcord mechanism freed itself, i checked it all out, before reassembling it all and it works ' Perfectly ' Fired up straight away, keeping ones fingers crossed.
Just for interests sake the DCS 400 is still a great little machine, still cuts like a new machine, as long as you keep the chain sharp.
Thanks for your help
Whitty

dougand3

Thank You Sponsors!