iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by smith2bj, May 12, 2009, 04:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smith2bj

I just bought the Stihl 361 and am thinking about doing a mm on it.   Its a good runner but I am thinking about about jumping up to the Jon. 2171.  Is a mm recommended for it?  I havent seen anyone really write anything about doing that to the muffler.

chucker

what are you cutting ? is it for yourself and on weekends or for a full time job/work?  the 2171 is a work horse by its self from the get go !!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Rocky_J

The Husky 372/ JRed 2171 muffler is comparatively easy to mod and still have a stock appearance including a spark arrester screen. There is a bracket across the lower front of the muffler. Remove it and cut an oval hole in the bracket, then mark and cut a corresponding hole in the muffler. I don't own a dremel so I usually end up poking a couple holes with a drill and then using a file to shape the hole how I want it.

Once you have holes cleaned up, you can reassemble and sandwich a screen in between the muffler and bracket. This particular hole is a bit too large but you get the idea.

Maineloggerkid

Rocky, after doing this, do I have to adjust any settings? I'm thinking about doing this to my 385.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Rocky_J

The saw will flow a lot better so it will need a little bit more fuel. You will need to richen the carb adjustment a little bit. If the stupid EPA limiter caps prevent you from reaching the correct adjustment then you will need to remove or trim the tabs on the stupid EPA caps in order to adjust your saw correctly.
http://www.madsens1.com/saw%20carb%20tune.htm

Maineloggerkid

So, would I just adjust the high throttle crew?

My muffler is the same, right?

Thanks for this info, and especially the pics. Very helpful
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Ed

I used the screw on deflector and screen from a Husky 288xp when I did the muffler mod on my 2171. Quick and easy, looks like it came from the factory.
Part #deflector 503 07 83-01 screen # 503 40 56-01
2 small sheet metal screws are also needed, #6 x 3/8 long

Ed

woodsrunner

Hey Ed,
Do you have a picture you could post of you muffler mod using the 288 parts? Seems like I have seen one like this (maybe yours?) but can find it (I'm old and addled).

Scott

Ed

Yup, I've got pics now, didn't yesterday.  ;)

I did bend the top mounting flange of the shield to conform to the upper curve of the muffler. The shield is fairly soft steel and bends easily.
I drilled the new hole 1/2 diameter, with one of those uni-bit step drills, they don't grab on sheetmetal like a normal twist drill.  ;D

Ed

smith2bj

Do the jonsered and Husks keep dust off the air filter better then the stihls? Or as long as you keep the air filters clean then it doesnt matter?  Right now i clean my filter after every time cutting.

Ed

Quote from: smith2bj on May 14, 2009, 09:31:03 AM
Do the jonsered and Husks keep dust off the air filter better then the stihls? Or as long as you keep the air filters clean then it doesnt matter?  Right now i clean my filter after every time cutting.

For the most part, yes, Husky has a better system.
Newer Stihl models (441 & 361) do have a better system (similar to Husky) than older design saws (460 & 660) which require more frequent cleanings.

Ed

smith2bj

I do have the 361 and it seems to get lot of dust on the filter.  On the Jonsreds and huskys do you not have to cleans them as much?  and they a better saw then the stihls because they blow air off better?

Ed

I'll clean the filters on my Stihls after every use, Huskys get cleaned when I think of it, in reality, probably, every 4th or 5th trip to the woods.

Are the Huskys better than a Stihl? IMO no, I still like my Stihls even if it does require a little more maintaince.

Each brand has it's good and bad points. A bad dealer will break any brand of saws reputation, so that has to be considered also. I'm lucky enough that isn't a concern for me.

I wouldn't give up my trusty 046 for a Husky, nor would I off my 2171 for a Stihl.

Ed

beenthere

I've not had a problem with any appreciable collection of dust on my Stihl MS361. I shake it off (tap it on the workbench) when I touch up/sharpen the chain. Depends on what I've been cutting, and which way the wind is blowing while sawing.
Seldom do I get anything on the filter other than fine dust.

Not familiar with other saws, but would expect they all have adequate filters to protect the saw. Don't see it as an issue.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ed

One of the reasons Stihl cam out with their "intellicarb" was to address the debris buildup on air filters.

Probably the worst saw I own for buildup is my 026. While it's a good saw, the air filter issue is a pita.

Ed

GASoline71

Ed... that is a nice and clean lookin' muffler mod.  I like that the screen is still there too...  :)

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

woodsrunner

Thanks for the pics Ed. :) I like that design very much.

Scott

smith2bj

Ed,
how many saws do you have?  I like to do this muffler mod to the saw do you have anyone who you would recomend in michigan? 

smith2bj

One more thing is the 372/576 the same saw the the 2171 or is the 2171 better then the huskys?

Ed

Quote from: smith2bj on June 03, 2009, 10:16:42 AM
Ed,
how many saws do you have?  I like to do this muffler mod to the saw do you have anyone who you would recomend in michigan? 

At last count there were 14 saws in the shop......subject to change.  :D

It's easy to do yourself.  ;) Just pull the muffler off and position the defelector, mark holes, drill deburr and reinstall. My 2171 was set a little rich, didn't need to readjust the carb.  ;D still doesn't hit the revlimiter.

Quote from: smith2bj on June 03, 2009, 11:45:36 AM
One more thing is the 372/576 the same saw the the 2171 or is the 2171 better then the huskys?

372 is the same as the 2171. main difference is the handlebar angle, Husky is angled, J-red is straight. I prefer the straighter one.
J-red doesn't have a comparable saw to the 576....yet.

Ed

smith2bj

Do you have a tree serve that you have all those saws for?  And is the stihl361 easy to do the mm to?

Heywood

??? The CS2171 and presumably all other Jonsered saws have a warranty that says that using a synthetic or semisynthetic oil will void the warranty.  I see that the Husky 372 is supposed to be the same saw as the Jonsered 2171.  Husky dealers sell synthetic oil for Huskys that is Husky branded.  Any thoughts on this?  I fail to see the advantage or disadvantages to using it in my chainsaws if my older saws cannot use the same oil as the newer ones.

I really like my 2171 with a 24" bar but wonder if I can use a longer bar with a skip tooth chain to have on hand for the few occasions when I have a really big tree. And where could I buy the bar and skip tooth chains for it.

Ed

Quote from: smith2bj on June 05, 2009, 03:01:50 PM
Do you have a tree serve that you have all those saws for?  And is the stihl361 easy to do the mm to?

Nope, no tree service. Personal use, I'm guessing I cut 75 face cord per year, by the time I'm done for my family and helping out several friends.

I also do salvage logging for myself.

There's a good thread over at AS on muffler modding the 361, I don't have any experience with the saw myself.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=33528

Ed

smith2bj

So the 372 and the 2171 are the exact same saw but different color and one has a straight handle bar?  Is one made better then the other?
Where in mid michigan are you located?

Ed

yup, same saws inside.  ;)

48414 zip.

Ed

SawTroll

Quote from: Ed on May 14, 2009, 09:54:43 AM
Quote from: smith2bj on May 14, 2009, 09:31:03 AM

For the most part, yes, Husky has a better system.
Newer Stihl models (441 & 361) do have a better system (similar to Husky) than older design saws (460 & 660) which require more frequent cleanings.

Ed

441 yes, 361 no (it is a bit older).

The soon to arrive 362 will have it, but probably a lot more weight than the 361 as well..... Pop_corn Pop_corn
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: Ed on June 10, 2009, 03:15:34 PM
yup, same saws inside.  ;)

48414 zip.

Ed

Yes, except the 2171 doesn't have the option of the high air filter (mostly not needed anyway, imo).

All Jonsered pro saws, and the better non-pro ones, are made at the Husky factory these days.

Information collector.

smith2bj

hey Ed, is the 2171 and 372 clutch on the out side or is it in the inside of the saw like on my 361?  and since we live in the same area do you know anyone who would have a bigger saw laying around?

Cut4fun

Quote from: smith2bj on September 08, 2009, 03:47:37 PM
hey Ed, is the 2171 and 372 clutch on the out side or is it in the inside of the saw like on my 361?  and since we live in the same area do you know anyone who would have a bigger saw laying around?

Not Ed, but have a bunch of 122cc saws laying around south of you. Even a 118cc one. Is that big enough?   candle_smiley sling_shot

smith2bj

yeah  where are you located?

Rocky_J

The 372/2171 has an inboard clutch.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Maineloggerkid on May 13, 2009, 07:10:41 AM
So, would I just adjust the high throttle crew?

You might have to readjust both the low and high speed jets .Just depends .

If you get that high speed cackle but it dogs on spool up ,fatted the low speed just a fuzz .You just have to tune it as it needs it .Forget all that "it must be exactly 1 and 1 half turns out " stuff . I don't know  who ever came up with that idea . :D--or lay a tach to it and set it for exactly 13,200 and it's running so lean it's about to fly  to pieces like a dollar watch . That Madsens thing with the recording is most likely the best thing to do for someone not totaly familiar with carb tuning .

Thank You Sponsors!