iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer twin blade edger value?

Started by Stuart Caruk, September 29, 2015, 08:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Caruk

I'm getting tired of the off bearing of slabs to stack them, only to drag them back onto the mill to restack them and edge them, often times mixed in with flipping the stack again to edge the other side.

A buddy just bought a new edger and has offered to sell his old one. It's a Woodmizer twin blade edger with the trailer kit (missing the tongue and with busted lights...) It has a new 25 HP motor and another spare motor, a few sets of spare blades, a few dings here and there and the typical faded paint. IT seems to work very well and has been kept well greased.

Any idea what it's worth?
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

beenthere

Stu
What is it worth to you ? 

"worth" to us doesn't mean much for your situation.

It is only you that can say what it is worth. IMO.  ;)

Your buddy must not think it is worth much to him, as he replaced it. Just a thought...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brucer

Last March, my 2003 Twin-Blade edger (22 HP Kubota diesel, 150 hours) had a book value of $11,300 (Canadian $). It would be less in $US. As I recall, the diesel was about $3500 more than a 25 HP Kohler when new. The book value was quoted to me by Wood-Mizer.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

47sawdust

I paid $5800.00 for a 1999 WM edger 5 years ago.I bought it through the Sawmill Exchange.At the time it was about the best price I could find at a reasonable  distance.I wouldn't be without it.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Peter Drouin

Mine's a 2008 with a 26 horse Cat I think I gave $8,000 for it.
Works very well,

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Stuart Caruk

Well, I now own a Woodmizer twin bladed edger. Needs a couple things fixed up, but it seems to work quite well. I figured out what it's worth this afternoon when I ran off some board and batt siding.

Not having to stack the fliches on the arms, work my beams off and out of the way, restack them and edge them, flip them and edge them again, but rather just pull them off and run them through an edger... absolutely priceless!

I also quickly found I want to feed them into the edger rather than pull them out. 1 board is easier to handle than 3.

Now to rig up a laser to see where the live edge will hit...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

47sawdust

I found it best to have an octopus as your off bearer.As for as the laser,I found with a little practice i got pretty good at shooting the board thru accurately.Make sure your infeed and outfeed rollers are level side to side and front to back are it will fight you.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

PAmizerman

@Stuart Caruk did you ever add a laser to the woodmizer edger?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Tramp Bushler

I didn't look at the date when I started reading this thread. But it is a valid thot process. 
 I don't have a problem with manualy loading logs onto my mill, or turning the logs and manually dogging or setting toe boards. But, resawing flitches is just bad economy of time and energy for me. Yes it's worth doing. But its a long and drawn out affair. 
 After about my 4th day operating my mill I decided I NEED a twin blade edger. 
 Usually I get at least 3 flitches per log that need resawing. Sometimes a board or plank has a bit more bark wane than I want on 1 edge. Moving 16' planks around back and forth on the mill gets tiring. 
 Yup, I need an edger. 
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Stuart Caruk

Yup, I added a green line laser mounted on the wall of the building behind the edger infeed. It was awesome. Sadly I just moved the edger to the other end of my 450, and I haven't yet got it back up and going. I miss that little green line.

Lately I've been sawing hundreds of 2" and 2 1'2" by 1" thick batts. Normally I wouldn't even bother but at $1.95 / BF for the PITA factor it goes quick when sawing up the side lumber from long logs. The real time suck is that I'm currently sawing 36' + trim beams from 28" dia logs, so I'm dragging back the 1" thick side cuts and stopping to trim them twice so I get 12' boards. Once the beam is finished, I drag the flitches back up, stand them up and saw 4 pieces at a time. I have a pallet hanging on the forks of my skytrak so the good batts go on top, and get stacked, and the scrap goes to a pile underneath.
Stuart Caruk

Thank You Sponsors!