iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS170? Really?

Started by btulloh, February 28, 2019, 09:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

Yesterday a friend came by to buck up a red oak blow down I let him have for firewood.  He has a MS170 that he uses for limbing and light work and I was surprised at how well it sawed on some of the 8-10" tops.  I've been wanting a light weight saw for little jobs. I've never been a fan of the HO saws, but for the price this thing doesn't have to last forever.  I've kinda tempted to buy one of these.  Any opinions out there?  (Ha!   :D)  Any other suggestions on 30cc saws?  I've never owned one of these small saws, but I'm thinking . . .
HM126

Southside

A few weeks ago I picked up an 80V Kobalt chainsaw as part of a package with a hedge trimmer I needed to address some very over grown yard stuff.  Figured my wife might use the saw now and then if a piece of firewood was too long or something like that - well, lets just say I am impressed with that thing, so much that I have "procured" it and it has a very nice resting spot at the head of the sawmill where I can knock off or trim to length boards, cants, etc when I need a quick cut.  It's not a 372, but even with the safety style chain it came with it sure cuts.  I am going to use it so lift up some cedars in a meadow if the ground ever dries one of these days and give it a real world work out.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

knuckledragger

I tried a 170 out for the first time in 2007. Paid $169 new. Since that time I've bought two more. My opinion is that little saw is one of the most durable, tenacious saws I've owned. Inch for inch pound for pound. I'll buy another when the the present 170 retire. Too many outstanding 30cc saws out there to put a finger on one. Husky,Stihl, Echo, availability and dealer support should be the deciding factor.

mitchstockdale

My first saw was an MS170, which i still own.  I upgraded the bar and chain to a more aggressive one. The saw works great I have cut a ton of wood with it and its still going strong.  From my experience for bucking and limbing trees up to 12" diameter this saw will do it all day long no problem, additionally its super light compared to my 361.

sawguy21

The MS170 is a good saw for it's purpose, occasional yard work and light firewood duty. As long as the gas is fresh and the chain sharp it should give years of service.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

millwright

Good little saw for the money, I have had one for several years to use around the sawmill.

AZ_builder

Is it the one with the plastic gear handle thingy for adjusting the chain, I dispise that adjuster! 

Loggerpro.

Yes I have, hehe, my fav saw for the money ms180 with a 14 inch, but do the bar and chain upgade, youtube donnyboy or doing it on the cheap to get the stihl part numbers. The ms180 is a small tree killer of note, its crazy good for the price.  If money is not issue get a 241c with a 18 inch bar for limbing , it will save your back a bit. My 180 is also my rescue saw for when I get my ms261c stuck.

sawguy21

Quote from: AZ_builder on February 28, 2019, 01:35:25 PM
Is it the one with the plastic gear handle thingy for adjusting the chain, I dispise that adjuster!
That is the MS180C. It also has the assist spring start which I don't like.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

wild262

Quote from: Loggerpro. on February 28, 2019, 02:13:17 PM
Yes I have, hehe, my fav saw for the money ms180 with a 14 inch, but do the bar and chain upgade, youtube donnyboy or doing it on the cheap to get the stihl part numbers. The ms180 is a small tree killer of note, its crazy good for the price.  If money is not issue get a 241c with a 18 inch bar for limbing , it will save your back a bit. My 180 is also my rescue saw for when I get my ms261c stuck.

The 241 is discontinued.  Best hurry if you want one.

realzed

Quote from: wild262 on February 28, 2019, 03:20:52 PM

The 241 is discontinued.  Best hurry if you want one.
Still shown as a current model in the brand new 2019 Stihl catalog here in Canada and on the Stihl website in the US.. with no notations in either of a status change..
The new 500i is also in the new Canadian catalog - so it must be very close to showing up here as well!

hopm

Dont know why but I have a couple of 170's a couple of 180's.....they end up stuck on the truck, on the tractor, at the sawmill....just seems to be a handy pick up saw that has saved me a bunch of steps and a bunch of time. 

lxskllr

I think the necessity of getting a "pro" saw is overstated by many. A lot of people act like it's either a pro saw, or junk not worth buying. There might be a shred of truth there if you're hammering the saw day after day, all day long in professional duty, but there can be a lot of value in a cheaper saw for someone who isn't using it every single day.

I looked it up on Stihl's site. Looks like a nifty little saw.

wild262

Quote from: realzed on February 28, 2019, 04:13:39 PM
Quote from: wild262 on February 28, 2019, 03:20:52 PM

The 241 is discontinued.  Best hurry if you want one.
Still shown as a current model in the brand new 2019 Stihl catalog here in Canada and on the Stihl website in the US.. with no notations in either of a status change..
The new 500i is also in the new Canadian catalog - so it must be very close to showing up here as well!

Yes, as long as inventory and supplies last.  I cannot speak for Canada, but I would say it universal.

olcowhand

Obviously, to each his own, so if you found something you like- go with it....
I bought an MS170 a few years ago to back up my old 039, just to limb and cut the smaller stuff. It worked okay, but lacked the UMPH I needed for some of these hardwoods. I traded up to an MS 180 (put a 20" bar just to keep me from bending over...), but I got tired of needing to work to find "yellow" chains. I then traded my 039 in and bought an MS461, and got an MS 211 for Limbing. The 211 also disappointed me, so I followed Holmen's advice, and traded that in for an MS261CM. Now I have two saws that I feel are the perfect combos of weight/ power ratios that I can get.....
Whatever you end up with, I hope you are at the point that you can look at another new or more powerful model, and say to yourself: "Nope, I'll stand pat...". That's where I am.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Air Lad

Love my 170
1. It was free A mate gave it after he melted piston
2.Was easy to fix
3. After establishing it would run good bought new bar and chain
4.runs ,cuts, lightweight,reliable little workhorse and can bring down larger stuff with patience and good management
However if I was to purchase a new saw to fill this role it would be ms181c

OddInTheForrest

The 170 is in my opinion a great saw for its size and price. I tend to carry several saws under 40cc, and I think 90% of my total running hours last year was on my 193. The 193 and 200 / 201 is a even better saw than the 170 / 180, as they are better balanced. They are all sold new here in Norway with the 1,1 chain and 12" blade (00.43? in the US, for the chain). In my opinion, very good saws with anything up to 14" 00.50 B/C. Anything more takes away the ligthweight aspect of it all in my opinion.

Best regards.
Odd.

Inaotherlife

Obviously part of the appeal is the low cost. Which makes suggesting something like an MS201CEM feel out of place.
Although I'd at least want the plain Jane MS 180. Actually I'd prefer the regular 180 offering as opposed to the one with all the bells and whistles. All that extra stuff just adds weight.

But I chose an Echo CS-361P for my go-to small saw. Very lightweight at just over 8 pounds(powerhead only), yet very capable.

And I got the older Echo CS-346 that weighs in close to 7 pounds.

And an even older small Stihl 009L that's listed at 9 pounds. About the same as an MS180, but smaller.

I like them all. And only use the 50 and 70cc saws when I have to.

Even this little 5 pound 25cc saw will cut 8 or 10 inch limbs when I need it to.

btulloh

That's all good info.  Thanks for the responses.  Sounds like it might be a good little pickup saw, and for the price I don't feel bad about taking a chance.  After all I don't need it to do big work.  Just want something handy.

I've been wanting a small, light saw, and I think for 180-200 bucks I'll take a chance.  I stopped in and looked at one today.  They sure don't compare to pro saws - that's for sure.  Now there's a new version - the ms171 - just to add to the confusion.  Supposed to have a few upgraded features, meaning that Stihl improved their bottom line and reduce the manufacturing cost somewhere.  It may be better to stick to the older model.

For the record, I have a 362c-m, a 25 year old 026 that still runs great, and a dead 066 which I don't feel the need to replace.  (I have easy access to a couple 80cc huskies if I need - and that is very seldom these days.)  I like the 026 as small saw that will do some decent work, but I really find the 362 to be almost as handy as the 026.  So that's why I'm looking for a really small saw, but not a top-handle.  

The ms170 comes with rmm3 chain, which I am not familiar with.  It looks pretty dainty, but I guess that goes with the little saw.  I haven't looked around to see what other chain will run on it.  Hopefully there's a yellow chain that fits it.  Somebody mentioned they put a different bar and chain on their ms170, but didn't mention the particulars.  Curious about that.

Thanks again for the replies.  - BT
HM126

lxskllr

To throw sand in the works... You might want to look at the echo 2511t. It's ~$400, but it takes tiny to a whole new level. If not for the front handle, it would fit in the cargo pocket of my pants. It's the most fun saw purchase I've made over the last year.

CS-2511T Top Handle Chainsaw | ECHO X Series

edit:
I somehow missed the post above mentioning this saw  :^/  Still worth a look  :^)

btulloh

That's a pretty impressive weight.  Looks like a nice saw.  Good price for top-handle.

I definitely don't want a top-handle saw though, and I've decided I'd like to test out a $200 saw.  Something about the low price kinda makes me want to buy something I don't really need.  Plus I'll also get to find out how all that plastic holds up.
HM126

Inaotherlife

Quote from: btulloh on February 28, 2019, 08:09:25 PM
That's all good info.  Thanks for the responses.  Sounds like it might be a good little pickup saw, and for the price I don't feel bad about taking a chance.  After all I don't need it to do big work.  Just want something handy.

I've been wanting a small, light saw, and I think for 180-200 bucks I'll take a chance.  I stopped in and looked at one today.  They sure don't compare to pro saws - that's for sure.  Now there's a new version - the ms171 - just to add to the confusion.  Supposed to have a few upgraded features, meaning that Stihl improved their bottom line and reduce the manufacturing cost somewhere.  It may be better to stick to the older model.

For the record, I have a 362c-m, a 25 year old 026 that still runs great, and a dead 066 which I don't feel the need to replace.  (I have easy access to a couple 80cc huskies if I need - and that is very seldom these days.)  I like the 026 as small saw that will do some decent work, but I really find the 362 to be almost as handy as the 026.  So that's why I'm looking for a really small saw, but not a top-handle.  

The ms170 comes with rmm3 chain, which I am not familiar with.  It looks pretty dainty, but I guess that goes with the little saw.  I haven't looked around to see what other chain will run on it.  Hopefully there's a yellow chain that fits it.  Somebody mentioned they put a different bar and chain on their ms170, but didn't mention the particulars.  Curious about that.

Thanks again for the replies.  - BT
Yeah. Definitely get a small saw.
You won't be sorry.

wild262

Quote from: Inaotherlife on February 28, 2019, 08:27:14 PM
That's all good info.  Thanks for the responses.  Sounds like it might be a good little pickup saw, and for the price I don't feel bad about taking a chance.  After all I don't need it to do big work.  Just want something handy.

I've been wanting a small, light saw, and I think for 180-200 bucks I'll take a chance.  I stopped in and looked at one today.  They sure don't compare to pro saws - that's for sure.  Now there's a new version - the ms171 - just to add to the confusion.  Supposed to have a few upgraded features, meaning that Stihl improved their bottom line and reduce the manufacturing cost somewhere.  It may be better to stick to the older model.

For the record, I have a 362c-m, a 25 year old 026 that still runs great, and a dead 066 which I don't feel the need to replace.  (I have easy access to a couple 80cc huskies if I need - and that is very seldom these days.)  I like the 026 as small saw that will do some decent work, but I really find the 362 to be almost as handy as the 026.  So that's why I'm looking for a really small saw, but not a top-handle.  

The ms170 comes with rmm3 chain, which I am not familiar with.  It looks pretty dainty, but I guess that goes with the little saw.  I haven't looked around to see what other chain will run on it.  Hopefully there's a yellow chain that fits it.  Somebody mentioned they put a different bar and chain on their ms170, but didn't mention the particulars.  Curious about that.

You won't be sorry.
I'll second that.  I also have a 361P.  Best little saw I have ever owned.  Had a 346 Echo in the past, and the 361 has a much better powerband.  The ms 200 rear handle would have been a canidate if it hadn't been for the carbs giving problems.  I like to run saws, not work on them.  I have pluenty of re-builders for that.   Glad I went with the 361.  My favorite limbing saw. 

Inaotherlife

Quote from: wild262 on February 28, 2019, 09:22:05 PM
Quote from: Inaotherlife on February 28, 2019, 08:27:14 PM

You won't be sorry.
I'll second that.  I also have a 361P.  Best little saw I have ever owned.  Had a 346 Echo in the past, and the 361 has a much better powerband.  The ms 200 rear handle would have been a canidate if it hadn't been for the carbs giving problems.  I like to run saws, not work on them.  I have pluenty of re-builders for that.   Glad I went with the 361.  My favorite limbing saw.
Yeah, the little 361P rips pretty good.

Woodcutter_Mo

The ms170's are actually a prety good little saw for the money, I know several other people that have ran several and like them. They make prety good limb saws since they're so light. If one keeps them clean and maintained they can last a good while and pay for themselves many times over. 
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Thank You Sponsors!