iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

interviewing a forester

Started by upman, November 28, 2007, 05:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upman

what would be an approximate hourly rate for a forester in upper MI? i ask because, i've been living on my 80 acres for a year with no plan :o. recently a forester for a local logging/mill company stopped by. they wanted to know if i'd be interested in trading timber for an adjacent 80 acre lot.

i suddenly find myself needing much advise. i also see this as an opportunity to pursue my visions of this property. i don't want to waste a foresters time. but i can't see myself handing over the plan making or timber selling to the first guy who shows up. i'm just trying to figure out how to select a forester. will they come out and walk my property with me, answering questions for say two hours(paid of coarse)? kind of a walking lecture of sorts. is that done in this industry? i'm  just not sure how else i should go about finding a forester that is in 'tune' with my goals. i'm not made of money but it would seem worthwhile to meet with a few foresters.

am i missing something? ??? is it done another way?

Gary_C

You ask a very good question and especially timely with another discussion going on right now. I can't help you with answers to your questions, but I do strongly urge you to get some help no matter what you have to do or pay so you do not become one of the people that comes back later with a story of how they were cheated.

That forester/mill company may just have a great deal for you and have the most honorable intentions, but you do need some professional help to advise you and get the best deal in your interest.

Ron Scott may just be the forester you need if he is available and close to you.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Sorry I'm half a world away, but I was wondering if there was an online directory as well as whom ever on the forum that would like to chime in. I'll do some looking.  ;)

Have you tried this resource link? :)

http://miforestpathways.net/5-Owners.htm
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

UPman,
Where are you located in the UP? I may be able to provide you with some forester contacts for possible help.
~Ron

upman

Quote from: Ron Scott on November 28, 2007, 08:29:45 PM
UPman,
Where are you located in the UP? I may be able to provide you with some forester contacts for possible help.

the western side of the UP, about 20 miles north of iron mountain. thanks for any help.

Ron Scott

There are a number of foresters in that area that should be able to help you. I'll send you some contacts.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!