iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Partner saw models of the early 1980s?

Started by Native Cutter, August 03, 2015, 02:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Native Cutter

So Im hopin you folks can enlightenn me as to what saw models Partner was selling in the early 80s in the 50-65cc range. My dad had bought one new back then and liked it a lot but we cant remember the model#. Id like to find one just for the heck of it.
He bought it when we were in Mendocino county and when we came back to Humboldt most guys hadnt seen one and they thought all yellow saws were McCullochs lol.
If you have pics or links thatd be great.

sschradle

I'm not sure on the years but we have a P100 Super & a P55.  Good saws.  Dad bought that P55 new and it just keeps rocking.

Native Cutter

Thanks Sschradle.  If you have a chance to post some pics thatd be awesome.

mad murdock

Native Cutter, if you look on the chainsaw collectors website (mike acres) you will find specs and pics of most models. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Native Cutter

Thanks Mad murdock,  I have been lookin on there and am still on the hunt.  The deal thats makin it somewhat difficult is I dont know how their numbering system works and they made soo many models thru the years. So Im just going thu em, and its not worked out as of yet. Not all the dates are there yet, same with pictures so as incredible a rescource as it is, Im hopin for somethin to narrow it down some. 

rburg

I bought an s50 in 1982 that was 55cc. Partner had several 55cc saws at the time.

snowstorm

lumberjack48

I owned a 70 Plus and a 55, ran them everyday for many years. Not the best balanced saw, but tough as nails.
Heres a picture of the 70 Plus, just dropped a White Pine with it.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

I have the McCulloch version of the Partner P100,the PM 1000.

I seems to me one other saw manufacturer sold this model as well under their name .

At any rate it's 100 cc  .

I might also add a few of the 50 some cc saws made by Partner are highly sought after to run in the 3 cubic inch race saw competitions .Very fast and powerfull for their size .

SawTroll

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 03, 2015, 08:38:58 PM
I have the McCulloch version of the Partner P100,the PM 1000.

I seems to me one other saw manufacturer sold this model as well under their name .

At any rate it's 100 cc  .

98.5cc really, and the third brand was Jonsereds. ;)

Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 03, 2015, 08:38:58 PM

I might also add a few of the 50 some cc saws made by Partner are highly sought after to run in the 3 cubic inch race saw competitions .Very fast and powerfull for their size .

3 cube means that it has to be the P5000/5000+ (48.7cc).
Information collector.

JohnG28

Partner 5000/5000+ would be on the smaller end, same as Jonsered 490. I think there was a P65 also, not positive though. C4F would know more on those saws.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

SawTroll

The P65 didn't belong to the R16 family, but to the more modern but fragile P50 family. I'm not sure the P65 ever hit the market, and the family was shortlived anyway
Information collector.

Native Cutter

Thanx guys. Very good info, this site is so informative. I like it :)
  Ive gone thru every model on the acres site and have a few that I think may be it. I gotta show dad, I was like 9 when he sold it so I dont remember everything lol.  Im thinkin it was it was in the bigger end of my range as it has a 24" b&C from the dealer and cut strong, even in dead hardwood.     

Lumberjack48, thats an awesome picture! Thanks for the info.

sawguy21

Some of the Pioneer models were rebadged as Partner and Pioneer-Partner for a short time. I have seen a few Partners but they were virtually unknown here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Native Cutter

Sawguy21, I had read that and find it interesting. Id like to see a picture lineup of the models from both companies sometime.   Its interesting how brands were distributed back then And who survived.
Partners werent well know to the other cutters here either but a county or two away they were popular. Go figure

Native Cutter

Sawguy21, while Im thinkin about it, what can you tell me about the Pioneer 1200? Pretty sure thats it. Anyways my cousin has one he got to fix up and get going again, cut some firewood with it. Just for the fun of it.

sablatnic

They had two lines of "cube saws" in that range, ranging from 55cc to 70cc, and the 500 - 5000 range. Does he remember if it used 3/8 or .325 chain?

Did he fuel it from the right hand or the left hand side? (The cube saws were fuelled from the right hand side).

Oh, and the colours - was it all yellow or was the bottom half black?

It can have been a semi pro cube, s55 or s65:
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/e1ca7961be257ac788256afd0050e1ea?OpenDocument

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/e1ca7961be257ac788256afd0050e1ea?OpenDocument

Or a pro cube, P70:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/e15520967d0fd4c288256afd004f9838?OpenDocument

Or a semi pro 500:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/86a3ccf91236aa1988256aff00167cb7?OpenDocument

Or a pro 5000:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/5ae1c9dc8924fcaa88256aff001524a3?OpenDocument

sawguy21

Quote from: Native Cutter on August 04, 2015, 11:36:32 AM
Sawguy21, while Im thinkin about it, what can you tell me about the Pioneer 1200? Pretty sure thats it. Anyways my cousin has one he got to fix up and get going again, cut some firewood with it. Just for the fun of it.
It was almost a carbon copy of the Homelite XL-12, one of the most successful models at the time. Remington and Lombard did the same thing, they all got in trouble over patent infringement. The resulting lawsuit finished Lombard.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Native Cutter

Sawguy21, that is very good info. How funny! Im glad I asked.

Sablatnic,
Thanks for the info. You sound like you know ur Partner sawss for sure.  Ill run those models by him this evening. Regarding chain size, the bar was 24" and I dont remember him saying it had the small chain which woulda stood out on a 24" bar.   I remember it gassing up on the bar cover side but like I said I was 9 last time i saw it lol.

Narrowing it down now tho, this is cool.

JohnG28

My dad had a little Stihl when I was a kid, long gone years ago and I think that's part of what got me into Stihls.  I searched for a long time and think I figured it out to have been and 019, but not positive.  My dad wasn't into saws or anything and picked up at a garage sale or something to that effect, so he was not much help when narrowing it down.  Like your idea to find something from childhood though, always fun to think back on stuff like that.  ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Native Cutter

johng28, thats pretty much it. It was a neat saw and not common at all around here. Id like to at least know what model it was, it woulda been easy if it was a Husky Or Stihl. We've owned so many of those over the years that the model number is how theyre referred to, this was always simply the Partner. 

Al_Smith

I'm not certain if anybody really got in trouble over the Xl-12 take offs .It wasn't just Remington and Lombard .Poulan had almost a carbon copy in I think 65 or so cc range.

I think Remington had one model upwards of 80 cc .Some had a few as small as 2 cubic inch size .

Lombard got passed around to several owners before the name circled the drain .Fact the Lombard Comango I have on Mike Acres site was Campbell -Hausfield .American Lincoln had the brand for a while as well .

Never the less stories abound over the famous Xl-12 .Who is right about it is anybodies guess but of those talked with they all claim to be correct . ;)

SawTroll

None of my attempts to post attachments here worked, as the forum doesn't accept JPG or JPEG attachments???? ???
Information collector.

beenthere

That is what your gallery is for.. to put pics. Forum accepts them, no problem.

Find the procedure to follow on the Home page near the bottom, something about "how to post pics". 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!