iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member Introduction And A Quick Question

Started by DaveinNH, August 05, 2015, 09:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveinNH

Just wanted to introduce myself. I took delivery of an LT40HD 26hp with a debarker on Monday. Several years ago I built what I call a hybrid (post and beam 1st floor, conventional truss 2nd floor) 28x40 barn with a small Lucas mill and a Hudson 18 inch mill. I had not had a sawmill in several years since then, started looking at smaller ones, and things just kind of got out of hand :o. It was actually my wife who said "you know it is always a mistake when we buy something that we outgrow". This forum was one of my research areas while I was looking, and I figured it was time to stop lurking and join.

Now to my question. I went down to the town hall to register the mill and get plates today. I was told I needed a certificate of origin to register it. I called my dealer in Maine and they told me Wood-Mizer would be sending that to me within a week. The town clerk also told me I would need construction plates, and that does not sound right. Can anyone who has registered and licensed a mill in NH tell me if they had to get construction plates?
Wood-Mizer LT40HD26     Polaris 6x6 Big Boss
Ariens 34 Ton Splitter       Stihl 460, 261, 70

TimGA

Welcome and congrats on the mill, can't help with the plates. Someone near you will know.
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome Dave. I'm from S.C. Someone will be able to help you.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ocklawahaboy

I can't help you with NH laws but I know DMV employees are pretty much the same everywhere.  They often give you an answer to get you off the phone, even if it isn't the right one.  Call back and ask someone else and see if you get the same answer.   I had to ask a lot of questions to find out I don't need a tag at all here in FL.

YellowHammer

Welcome and the same here in Alabama, a portable sawmill is specifically listed as a piece of road transportable construction equipment that doesn't require plates.  Sorry I can't help you in NH. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Celeriac

Quote from: YellowHammer on August 05, 2015, 11:13:05 PM
Welcome and the same here in Alabama, a portable sawmill is specifically listed as a piece of road transportable construction equipment that doesn't require plates. 

Ditto, same in Ohio.

This may be of some interest to you. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXI/261/261-64.htm

-Aaron
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

Bruno of NH

I'm in NH and have a Thomas mill . I have just a trailer plate . I had trouble a first until I put my foot down.
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

You will have trouble because you live in Derry I think .
Do you have a farm ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

rooster 58

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new mill  8)

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sprucebunny

Welcome to the forum !

My mill has just a trailer plate but my mill seperates from the trailer. I had to get it inspected by a local policeman and be issued a 'homemade' serial #.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

Good you have a mill,again. welcome to the forum. What's all the lumber going to be used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

highway

Congrats on the new mill, I haven't registered my mill yet for the road.  ;D

I guess I should do that though. I'm in NH too and thought I would just get a trailer plate, I hope that is the case.

Ed
2006 Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic, Kubota M4900 4WD, Kawasaki Mule, Team of Belgian Drafts for real horse power
www.fletcher-farm.com

78NHTFY

DaveinNH--Welcome fellow NH-ite, and congrats on the new mill.  Haven't registered my LT40 but know the town clerk and she's registered another local mill.  Will check to see if it was as a trailer or some other classification.  But as Bruno of NH indicated, Derry is pretty heavily populated and things may be different there compared to more rural areas.  Looking forward to pics.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

WV Sawmiller

Dave,

Welcome. Same here in WV as others listed above - mill is listed as a piece of mobile equipment and no tag required. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

deadfall

Here, licenses are charged by the value of the trailer.  So, we often license the value of the towing package separately, as opposed to the overall cost of the mill. 
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Bruno of NH

The town clerks think the mills are on flat bed tractor trailer units :)
You have to set them straight !
I haven't moved my mill but I still plate it don't want the hassle if and when I want to haul it down the road .
The NH dept. of safety has to much power in this state . It's just a money grab .
Jim/Bruno

SawyerBrown

Welcome Dave!  Good to have you on board!

Bunch of us were just comparing notes on that last weekend at the FF Pig Roast.  Every state is different, so I guess you were right to ask your fellow NH'ers.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Magicman

No help, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, DaveinNH. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DaveinNH

Thanks for the all the welcomes and advice on the plates. I guess I will just have to wait until Wood-Mizer sends me my certificate of origin and see what happens. In response to a couple of questions:

I do not have a farm just a little over 6 acres (until the state bought 1/3 of an acre for the I-93 widening project). My step father and I cleared all of the hardwood off of it the week between Christmas and New Years. You really appreciate how much wood that is when you haul it out in 18 inch sections in the back of a 6x6 atv. I had hoped to borrow a friends log arch and pull the pines out in log length, but all of you in New England know what type of winter hit shortly after that. The barn I built was for my wife. She is a wood artist and does turning, pyrography, carving, airbrushing and guilding. The lower level is finished with a 200 amp service, as well as a pellet stove for heating.

As to what I plan to do with the wood that's a little complicated. The first thing I am going to do is no longer mill 150 to 200 cherry, walnut and figured maple blanks a year for my wife by hand with a chainsaw. Cutting a 20 to 36 inch log into 18 to 24 inch lengths then making a total of 6 cuts lengthwise to remove the pith and produce 4 blanks with flat edges on each side is no longer fun with a Stihl 460. I also mill smaller pieces for her for higher end artwork, and she has mentioned that she has an idea for some larger pieces. That is the primary reason we decided to get a mill again. The reason we went with a lot more than we need for that is I really enjoyed milling on the smaller mills I had for 3 years. The thought is this is something I can maybe do part time when I retire. I also have dodged 4 layoffs at the company I have been with for the last 16 years, and it would be nice to have something you enjoy doing to possibly generate a little extra income if the worst happens. Hopefully not, but you never know. In the meantime it is for my wife's business, so we can write it off on her taxes, I can learn to use a bigger mill more efficiently, and have fun with a few side projects like a sawmill shed in the meantime. I figure worst case scenario this mill will hold most of its value.

Thanks again everyone you sure know how to make a newbie feel welcome. I think I noticed that the annual pig roast is in Michigan. I lived in Grand Rapids for 2 years, my wife is from there and still has family there, so maybe I can combine a trip sometime and meet some of you.

AnthonyW

Good day Dave,

When I registered my mill, I was told if the tow-behind was purpose built and could not haul or be loaded it requires a CE plate. Campers, utility, snowmobile trailers, and the like can be loaded or loaded with anything and therefore get a trailer plate. This corresponds to the information I found on the NH DMV website.

While I was there I asked about log splitters. I see them all the time being towed down the road without a plate. I was told they require a plate, a CE plate to be exact. Anything travelling on a public road requires a license plate and registration. An unregistered item travelling on a public road could be subject to a ticket and fine.

Now finding an insurance company that will just insure the mill for travel was trying.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Ox

Welcome to the forum!

Here in upstate NY a sawmill is considered farm equipment and doesn't need any plates but maybe a farm plate (orange triangle) to be completely legal.  Most of us around here don't bother with that crap but we are in the middle of farm country after all and we're left alone.

It's funny how we're in the worst state of the union but certain things are too easy and common sense-filled like stated above.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

DaveinNH

Update

Today a certificate of origin arrived from Wood-Mizer along with a bill of sale for just the trailer portion of the mill. I took those 2 down to the town hall and was able to apply for a title and received a plate with no issues. I am really starting to appreciate Wood-Mizers customer service and attention to the little details.

Ljohnsaw

Dave,
Welcome to the forum.  Glade it worked out for you.  Out here in California, the highway patrol officer told me anything that runs on the road needs a plate.  I got one for my backhoe that converts into a trailer.  It was a SE (Special Equipment) plate the size of a motorcycle plate.  But it was an ordeal getting that.  The DMV person saw that it had a motor (to run the hydraulics) and that it could be driven (at 2 mph) and was considering that it should be a licensed vehicle...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Chuck White

Quote from: Ox on August 10, 2015, 10:36:21 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Here in upstate NY a sawmill is considered farm equipment and doesn't need any plates but maybe a farm plate (orange triangle) to be completely legal.  Most of us around here don't bother with that crap but we are in the middle of farm country after all and we're left alone.

It's funny how we're in the worst state of the union but certain things are too easy and common sense-filled like stated above.

Keep in mind though, if you put the orange triangle (slow moving vehicle) on the mill, you would then be limited to a max of 25mph on the road, otherwise you could be ticketed.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!