iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw for milling with logosol

Started by tpiton, April 04, 2024, 08:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpiton

Hi folks, I'm a newbie in the world of milling. I have cut a lot of logs before and always paid someone to mill them for me. I will keep doing this when I have a lot of logs. I was looking at chainsaw milling for a while for hobby milling at my hunting camp. Logosol looks like a easy transport. I ask logosol what would be the best saw, the told me this :

Yes you can mount a MS880 if you want but the MS660/661 is more common on the F2/F2+ since you can run the low profile ripping chains on those chainsaws. Since the height adjustment steps are 1/4" on the F2/F2+ the low profile chain matches better since it has about 1/4" kerf. A normal 3/8" ripping chain or 0,404" ripping chain will give a slightly thicker kerf.
_------------------------------------

Is it just for precision of the cut or is the narrow kerf makes the 661 as fast as the 880?

richhiway

I ran a 661 on mine with granberg ripper chain. worked well. I also used a 460 magnum and that was sufficient. 

I used the 90cc saw to break down the logs and 70cc saw to cut the boards, the chain stays sharp longer on the boards so it speeds up production.

A 50cc saw will work on smaller logs. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!