iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

whatzit eh?

Started by Engineer, September 01, 2006, 06:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Got a whatzit question for some of you old-timers, maybe.

The following pictures show what appears to be a round saw, almost like a giant hole saw, except that it is about 3' in diameter and appeared to be driven by a flat belt.  My first instinct was to call it some kind of cooper's saw, for barrel staves, but I've seen those in action and this ain't one.

Anyway, this was found on national forest land and is going to a museum.  The person who helped get it out of the woods runs a John Deere dealership near me, and asked me if I could help him and the forest folks identify its' use.

Any ideas?  There are apparently more parts to it which they either haven't yet gotten out of the woods, or they weren't convenient for photos yet.

One more item - the 'ring' part of the saw, with the teeth, is attached to the back by a large number of countersunk bolts, which they are having a very hard time removing.  I don't know why you would want to remove only the teeth, but it is apparently possible.

jon12345

It was used to cut doors for Hobbits  ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Mooseherder

A porthole saw.

To see the Forest thru the Tree ;D

VA-Sawyer

Could it be used for cutting the notch in logs for building log cabins ?

Buzz-sawyer

I believe it was used to cut cooperage...the slats that barrels were made from :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

customsawyer

The foresters back in the days used that as a boring tool. You know back when the trees were a little bigger. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

getoverit

I would guess that it is a primitive circular planer
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Woodwalker

Ain't ya'll ever wondered where they got them wooden wheels for them two wheeled mexican ox carts?
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

beenthere

My instinct is for cooperage too, but here is a shot of a barrel slat (stave) making machine. Similar, except the  barrel is longer.

Raises curiousity and hope someone identifies its application.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raphael

It wouldn't make for very long staves. ;)
  Perhaps this is part of why the toothed band is removable, this could be the blade the coopers used for cutting the tops and bottoms.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

mike_van

I think it's the first bandsaw, the builder didn't know you needed two wheels -  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Ron Wenrich

What strikes me as being a little unusual is the place for the babbit bearings.  They are at the end of the shaft.  Being that its a flat belt, you would think the operation was fairly stationary.  Either steam or tractor driven. 

The problem with the cooper saw is that it isn't very deep.  Is it even deep enough for shingles?  I have no idea why you would want a rounded shingle.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

DanG

Hmmmm.  Debarker, perhaps?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sandmar

I am not ashamed to say....I have no idea  ::) I have seen plumbers use similar to drill holes for pipe...........musta been one serious pipe that went through that hole ;)
Sandmar

Engineer

Went back to my friend's dealership today, he told me that the remainder of the piece is a large cast iron "table" with two babbit bearing halves such that the large round saw would sit on the halves horizontally and be driven by a flat belt from maybe a tractor.  He also said that there is some sort of feed chute or opening about 12x18" such that when you are facing the feed opening, the saw shaft extends out to your left and rotating toward you and the teeth are near the opening.  It's a poor description of a second-hand account of an absent machine, I know.  One suggestion that he had was a saw used to make the sides of wire reels.

I am personally stumped myself, I can only hope that there might be some kind of raised lettering or name plate on the rest of the machine.   ???

Onthesauk

TTT   

Curious about this.  Any ideas yet?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Percy

I know , I know.....back when the streets were made of wood,,,uhhh,,, they used that thing for "man hole" cutting....ya ...thats it... :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

sawguy21

Ya gotter Percy. They stood the street on its side to cut the hole then put it back. Common practice in the UP ;)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mometal77

Is it for making round tables or for rounding off the heads of logs?  Havent been on here over i have a new job and work longer hours.. lot going on this summer hope all are well..
robert
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Murf

Well, 3' in diameter would make an awfully squat, pot-bellied barrel, that's for sure!!  :D

It may have been some failed attempt at a firwood cutter, putting a log in 6' would give you a pair of three footers with one cut.  ::)

Either that or a piece of 3' long cordwood with rounded corners to squeeze the absolutely biggest piece of firewood possible in the firebox.  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

iain

Is that another bearing mount between the back of the blade and the pulley, viewable in the last pic,
I'll go along with trimming big cable drums, as there is no pilot in the centre of the blade i would assume that the work piece was precentred and well clamped

iain

SwampDonkey

I'm thinking it was used the make the bottom of the barrel, and maybe even covers for pickling barrels. Anyone will tell ya about walking outside the general store and grabbing a salted cucumber pickle from the barrel. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

Barrel top trimmers were much different than this type of saw.  I did some research on the Old Woodworking website where they have a bunch of tools.  They have 2 barrel saws and one top trimmer.  The top trimmer is nothing like this. 

I also hit on a site that talked about cylinder saws.  They were invented in the mid 1800s by a company in New Hampshire.  I think this would be considered a cylinder saw.

They came in various sizes.  We've been thinking of barrels, since that is something we have seen in our travels.  However, they made smaller sized ones for buckets and tubs.  I think this is more on the size of making bucket slats.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Gus

Well I never   :P ???

Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

SwampDonkey

Went looking on Google for barrel manufacturers and came up with most being in China. Never did find a site with equipment on display.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!