iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

25 years old, sawmill and woodshop intro WITH PICS!

Started by hackberry jake, May 27, 2011, 06:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Been into wood working a long time, just recently broke down and bought an ez boardwalk Jr with track extension. It's sawn over 1000 bf of cherry from one tree and enough cedar/ hackberry/ sycamore/ white oak/ hickory/ and locust to build itself a home. I'll upload pics when I get to one of those new fangled computing devices. I'm using my phone at the moment.

sawshed progress

16' hickory 6x10 mounted on 6x8 locust posts with 1/4 dimond plate brackets and 5" lag bolts

sycamore lad

me standing next to trial run with router lathe

cedar mounted in router lathe

buddy standing next to cherry butt log

cherry adirondak chairs

brother milling up sycamore log

ambrosia sycamore grain

halved sycamore butt log

half on mill

my ez boardwalk jr.

walnut bedroom table

another view

with lid up. used wooden hindge for prop
cedar and white oak tree stand
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Cedarman

Welcome Hackberry Jake!  That rolls off the tongue real well and must have a story behind it.  Tell us some more about yourself.  We are a curious bunch. (Is that another way of saying nosy?)
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

Good morning hackberry jake, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  It will be interesting to hear more about you and your experiences. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LOGDOG

Welcome Jake. Looking forward to the pictures and stories.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Jake, this is a good place to hang out when you can't be sawing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bro. Noble

Quote from: Cedarman on May 27, 2011, 06:23:05 AM
We are a curious bunch. (Is that another way of saying nosy?)

Could be Cedarman,  but it could have another meaning :D :D :D :D

Welcome Jake :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ely

paul case

welcome here jake.  where is here for you? (sorry my english aint that good. i been out cutting trees in the hot too long) 
congratulations on the new mill purchase.
where you located at?
pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

hackberry jake

I live bout thirty miles east of fayetteville. By the little town of saint Paul, Arkansas. Never knew how much is enjoy my mill til I got it. I figured up prices on what the lumber was worth just to build my sawshed and the mill has saved me over $1000 just from one building. I figured treated posts and the rest untreated. My shed is a 32x18 with 12 6x6 cedar posts, 2 6x8 locust posts holding up a 6x10 hickory beam for the main opening. The hickory beam/opening is 16' and the high side of The building is 12' with the low side at 9'. The rafters and braces are mainly sycamore. There's also some hackberry, ash, and white oak mixed in. All the lad boards are 2x4 sycamore. And all the rafters are 2x6 with the longest span 10'. Just now to the installing sheet metal part... hard to do by yourself with 4x20 sheets.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

hackberry jake

Oh. Just so you don't have to look up general area, its northwest Arkansas. I also just recently came across a brewco sharpener for an awesome deal. Can't find anything about them online tho so finding parts might be troublesome. I'll cross that.bridge when I get to it tho. It's working great at the moment.

Fil-Dill

Hope you enjoy your mill. It is amazing what the jr. model can cut. Especially for the price. How well did the sycamore work for rafters. I have alot of that on my farm and was thinking the same uses for it. Check out EZ boardwalks new website. Jeff has done an excellent job of putting it together. Welcome.
EZ boardwalk 40

hackberry jake

It worked great. I think its very comparable to pine. Watch out for knots, they have very little strength. I cut it and put in in an old chickenhouse sickened for about 3 months before I used it. It seemed very dry when cutting it for final use. There was water coming out of it when I milled it. Me and my brother tested it by putting a 2x4 that was 4' long on supports on the ends. Jumped up and down on it. It finally broke, but it wasn't easy. We are both around 230lbs.

hackberry jake

And that's 1.5x3.5 for you "curious" folks

hackberry jake

Their new site is way better than their last one. It is amazing what that dude will cut. I have numerous boards of cherry and sycamore over 24"wide! Very impressed

paul case

i bet that was supposed to be ''stickered'' . i have been sickened by some of my tries at using sycamore too but that was before i got my ez boardwalk! ;D 

pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Cedarman

By being "curious" I found out the sycamore is a lot stronger than I thought it was.  Just didn't think of using it for rafters.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

thecfarm

Yes,we do like pictures. Have fun with your new mill. You can save alot of money using your own lumber. You say wood working,what are you making? How are you getting trees? On your own land?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Carpenter

Congratulations on the new mill! 

hackberry jake

got the pics posted with descriptions... finally. theyre all cell phone pics, but not bad quality really. i have many more finished woodworking projects, but just need to get around to taking pics of them and posting. hope you guys enjoy  ;D

Bill Gaiche

Welcome hackberry jake to the FF. You say west of Fayettville and I looked on google and I see St. Paul as being east on hwy 16. Am I lost? I lived in Benton Co. for 35 yrs. Like your photos. What are you using the cedar poles for? bg

LOGDOG

I can see you're going to fit in real well around here Jake. Great pictures. Can we see more of the router lathe and how that's laid out/works. That walnut table is awesome. Looks great.

ljmathias

Welcome, Jake, and nice work on the walnut especially- sure wish I had some of that to make lumber and stuff out of.  Hope you like it here.   :)
Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Carpenter

Nice pictures!  I'm interested in hearing more about the router lathe as well. 

tyb525

Jake, you're doing exactly what I plan to do. Is that on your own property?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!