iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Tenon Cutter is Now Set Up.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 09, 2015, 08:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I can't believe people give money for them.
I don't think they will sell here.
Maybe it's a southern thing. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Some people have way too much money.  ;D  In this area,I don't see how they would sell. Most just don't have the money in this area.  :(  Have to wait for those filthy rich out of staters to come to Maine to buy them things.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Cfarm, the thing in the NE if we want one, WE will make one. Or anything for that matter. :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

RobSC

All the "finer" neighborhoods have at least 1 in every yard. Now at Christmas you are subject to see whole herds in peoples yards.  :D

kwendt

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 02, 2015, 10:20:59 PM
Cfarm, the thing in the NE if we want one, WE will make one. Or anything for that matter. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Absolutely! Hilarious thread.... But gotta say.... I wanna make a bunch of those benches for around the roadside farm stand... Perfect. Got the wood, got no saws, jigs, or nothing. Anvil and hammer won't work.....lol. I suspect there's a used junk shopping spree in my future...

Serious question, goat guy (POSTON), what do you clear coat the cedar with? PolyU?

Welcome RobSC.... Nice Mandy back on your pick!
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

kwendt

Quote from: thecfarm on April 02, 2015, 07:35:25 AM
Some people have way too much money.  ;D  In this area,I don't see how they would sell. Most just don't have the money in this area.  :(  Have to wait for those filthy rich out of staters to come to Maine to buy them things.  :D

CFarm... It's cause we're cheap! Or poor.... Or both.   :D
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: kwendt on April 18, 2015, 08:15:59 AM

Serious question, goat guy (POSTON), what do you clear coat the cedar with? PolyU?

NO POLY. Tongue Oil or really any kind of oil. I have literally used fresh motor oil. Never burned motor oil on Cedar but any clean oil will work for me.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

100% pure tung oil is a great choice. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

This is mainly for Poston but anyone with suggestions is welcome to chime in.  JMoore and I just got a log tenon cutter set like the ones shown on this thread.  We are going to build a jig to hold the drill and the logs/sticks.  Is there anything you would change about the jig you (Poston) made after using it? Maybe a piece of angle iron on the leading edge to hook the edge of the bench while pushing the drill?  Maybe a pivoting log mount for bent (character filled) logs? 

How often do you have to sharpen or change the cutters?
Do you prefer to run the drill at a slow or fast speed when using the tenon cutter?

Thank you for answering the questions.  The log benches pictured are really cool.  I think we may make some out of live oak for outside use.
Caveman
Caveman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ok Caveman,
On my jig, I would not change a thing. However if you can come up with an idea that helps you go for it and share your idea with me.  :) 2 heads is better than 1 when building a jig, but I like mine.

As far as the blade, I ordered a extra set just in case. I have cut several hundred legs and as of yet never had to change blades.
The trick to getting your best cut is to have your blades screwed tight in the proper place on the cutter. This is something you can experiment with. Before you put on your first new blade, take sand paper and sand the part of the blade that will be against the cutter. The blades are new and come with a film of oil on them. If the blade is not sanded a little, it will move during the cut and will stop cutting properly.

Now....this is important. To get the best and quickest cut, your drill motor must be a 1 speed drill motor that will not exceed 450 rpm. I bought the Milwaukee drill that goes with the Tenon cutters.
I am sure you can use a variable speed motor, I never have tried, but with some practice, you may be able to learn your best speed.

Good luck to you. Don't be afraid to ask me anything or PM me. If I can't help, by cracky somebody else will.
Post some pics of your work.  smiley_thumbsup
le for legs.
***** NOTE:.....Put wooden 2 x 4's or 4x4's on your jig table for legs. You can then bore holes in the wooden legs the size of your tenon. This allows you to take your tenon leg, put it in the hole you bored and will hold the leg while you sand it. ******

caveman

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.  I will probably not have time to start on a jig for a few weeks.  I made a cedar stool today while the bones were on the grill.  It looks awkward and I will probably cut the legs off of one end and bore new holes.  I am thinking of making an 8° shim for my drill press table so that I can splay the legs the way I want them.
Caveman
Caveman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: caveman on October 18, 2015, 09:39:35 PM
.  I am thinking of making an 8° shim for my drill press table so that I can splay the legs the way I want them.
Caveman

I went through this. The first set of legs will surely look like a spider that has been stepped on.
After a little practice, you will be able to drill all your holes by sight....and they will all be the same.
Just like learning to ride a bike....once you learn...no shims or training wheels needed. :)

caveman

I went out, cut the offending leg off, made another and while I was gently encouraging it to go in, I split the stool's seat.  It got polyurethane glue anyway and it will be a benchmark to measure future projects by.   

Do you drill your mortise holes with a drill press or with a hand drill?  It seems like using a forshner bit on an angle with a hand drill would be difficult. 
Buenos noches,
Caveman
Caveman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: caveman on October 18, 2015, 10:33:43 PM

Do you drill your mortise holes with a drill press or with a hand drill?  It seems like using a forshner bit on an angle with a hand drill would be difficult. 
Buenos noches,
Caveman

Drill press is not a could way. We have learned to stand and put the drill against our knee and push the bit into the wood and rock it a little. Take the bit out occasionally and clean it and start again. I understand it is tough sometimes.....but if it were easy, WDH and Magicman would be selling benches.  ;D

WDH

I do sell benches, but I get my legs from the Rite Leg Co. The are always Topless. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on October 19, 2015, 07:25:02 AM
I do sell benches, but I get my legs from the Rite Leg Co. The are always Topless.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Thank You Sponsors!