iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New table !!!

Started by isawlogs, August 20, 2015, 03:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

We needed a table, ours is still at the farm as my daughter was living here she had her table in the house, wejust took over her things but new she was leaving and she did, with her table...   :D :D

So, after making her, her (Tom) rollin'island, I had some white pine slabs in the shop. I got to it and made a table ... it aint quite done yet but its almost there. Putting on the poly then the beeswax and in she goes.

Table is 60" X 42" legs are 5" X 5" with a 2" top, it was thicker but need to have a meeting witht he mill to rid it of cup..... It will be fine, heavy enough as it is.... Use some minwax stain, Golden Oak. It has three coats of polyurethen and will get four more, then three or four coats of beeswax. 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

lowpolyjoe

Wow - that is a stout looking table.   Bet it weighs a ton.

Looks like something the giant would have in his kitchen in Jack and Beanstalk

Great stuff  8)

samandothers

Like the color!   You could dance on that thing.

Andy White

Marcel,
That is some really fine grain on that top. It looks like it runs cross the face of the boards. Love the color. The banding is a neat way to wrap the top. Better than breadboard. Design is perfect.     :o :o   Andy
Just looked at the last picture again, and see the ring pattern in the boards! How do you make the top look "banded" in the other pictures??? That is way Cool!!    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

Andy, its a trade secret....   :D :D

That I will share with you. I do that by putting the top together first, then I resaw it in two peices on the table saw. The twopeices then get a ride to the mill, they are put on, locked in place and then to make that nice rippled patern, one needs to do what every body tells you what " NOT" to do with a band mill......  get the blade going , lower the head till its touchs the board then just a little pressure will do.... but this has to be done at the tail end of the mill, and you go backwards  to the front..... And no the blade does not go flying off, it makes a nice little ripple in white pine.

I like the rustic look and just love the saw marks on the table. It gets sanded down to 220 then stained, sanded down, then polyurethan (no gloss) six coats, then I finish with four or five coats of bees wax.
  the legs and apron I do with my bandsaw in the shop, again pulling the wood into the blade at an angle so that the saw makes the little cuts like the mill.  ;) :P 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Doggone Marcell, that top with the curly pattern is outstanding!  Now, you have let the cat out of the bag (old saying).  Love the apron, too.

Maybe I will adopt you after all  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andy White

Marcel,
That has to be the most effective trick of furniture building I have ever heard of! The results are fantastic. You did not learn that from any woodworkers I've ever seen. I will have to build a table to try this!  :P :P :o :o :o  Andy
Thanks for sharing your secret.
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

WDH

Note to self:  Go find some thick white pine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: isawlogs on August 20, 2015, 08:44:33 PM
Andy, its a trade secret....   :D :D

That I will share with you. I do that by putting the top together first, then I resaw it in two peices on the table saw. The twopeices then get a ride to the mill, they are put on, locked in place and then to make that nice rippled patern, one needs to do what every body tells you what " NOT" to do with a band mill......  get the blade going , lower the head till its touchs the board then just a little pressure will do.... but this has to be done at the tail end of the mill, and you go backwards  to the front..... And no the blade does not go flying off, it makes a nice little ripple in white pine.

I like the rustic look and just love the saw marks on the table. It gets sanded down to 220 then stained, sanded down, then polyurethan (no gloss) six coats, then I finish with four or five coats of bees wax.
  the legs and apron I do with my bandsaw in the shop, again pulling the wood into the blade at an angle so that the saw makes the little cuts like the mill.  ;) :P

Wha chu talkin' bout Willis? ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

plowboyswr

The Mrs. is already complaining about our dining room table... I see what I will be doing in the future.  ;D :D between you and Danny I'm doomed especially if she sees this.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

rasman57

Excellent!  Very nice work.

I am curious about the beeswax over the poly.  Since the poly seals the wood and in theory protects it from spills etc., is the beeswax for making the poly less grippy and smoother?   Never heard of beeswax over poly.  Interesting.

WDH

Plowboy,

Just knuckle down and get it done.  Out of cherry  8). 

isawlogs

I love the poly for what it is, I hate the smell and the feeling of it when dry... I love the bees wax, but itself takes many coats to be of any use, so I compremise with both. Every coat of poly gets sanded down , the last one I usualy do I will be at 320 grit or 400.. this one being 400, then goes on the bees wax because I love the smell and really love the feeling when touching the wood. It is very personnal to me, I will put three to four coats of beeswax. I have two on it now and may stop there as it looks good.  :) 

Marcel

plowboyswr

Quote from: WDH on August 22, 2015, 07:57:20 PM
Plowboy,

Just knuckle down and get it done.  Out of cherry  8). 
If you only knew of the cherry I've been eye ballin'  :D :D of course I have been thinking of some Osage also. But gotta get a mill first.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Thank You Sponsors!