iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Machine for S4S and T&G?

Started by Brad_bb, November 05, 2017, 09:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

campwags

After getting and reviewing the WoodMaster material on the 4 head planner, for me I would opt for two of the 18" planers.  I have one already with the 3 head molder and spiral planning head.  I would set one up with the spiral planer for surfacing the top and then the 3 head molder for the T&G and back relief cut.  I also have a set of Log siding blades that I have not used yet.  ???
Life is for Living, Loving and Laughing; Not Crying and Complaining!

TK 2000, Woodmaster 718, Kioti DK65s w/Farmi JL501, Kioti NX4510 and a Kubota KX 41-3 excavator, Japa firewood processor and an assortment of trailers, solar kiln and out buildings.

Kbeitz

You can cheat with a pony motor...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

scsmith42

Brad, I had a Baker M412 four head moulder in my shop for a few years (bought new).  It was similar to a Logosol PH360 and quite frankly the Woodmaster WM4000 appears to be very similar....

It was fine for limited runs, but I sold it because I felt that it was too light duty for production rates of flooring manufacture.  We had to replace many of the bearings in less than 500 hours of use, and the fellow that bought it from me had to do the same thing.  They just are not heavy enough for 6 hour a day continuous operation.  Feed rate was slow too.

We had to presize our blanks within about 1/8", had continual problems with chip extraction (15HP dust extraction which works great on my 25" jointer/planer but was not adequate for the small Baker moulder...).

If you plan on doing any type of volume, then I would suggest a good, used 5 or 6 head moulder. 

My 2 cents.  By all means though explore the WM4000; they are a site sponsor and worth following up on for a demo.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!