iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The beginning of my dream shop is underway...(some pics for ya)

Started by ayerwood, August 18, 2013, 02:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ayerwood

Well, after dreaming about it for years, lots of planning, and having the need for our working forest, the construction has begun.  ;D  I am working on an in depth "intro" for you guys that will go through the entire property, history, and what all we have, but that will be for another day.

The shop is being built at my existing landing and the footprint is 100'x50'.  It will also have a large lean-to down the road for additional storage.  It's going to be big, but it needs to be to support over 200 acres.  My thought was build big in the beginning...you can never have enough space.  The "warehouse" will be 50x75 with 18ft ceiling and on the far end will be two story at 25x50.  The first story will have an office/break room and also a mud room.  Lotsa storage as well!  Here are some pics from the dirt work until framing began last week.  I will add to as the build continues.  I know you all like pics, so I hope you enjoy...

Ljohnsaw

Very nice.  Looks like you had a bit of rain during your foundation digging  :(  That will be one sweet building soon.  Did you cut or buy your lumber?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

m wood

Whoa! that's a nice project you got going on.  keep us posted
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Magicman

:o  Wow, you work fast.  This should be an interesting project to watch.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lyle niemi

Piston

This will be fun to watch your progress.  Most of us can only dream of a shop that big!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

customsawyer

Looking great. There isn't much better than seeing weather moving in and knowing it isn't going to effect you.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ayerwood

John- We bought the materials.  Seemed sacreligious since I have my mill, but had to be done.  I don't have the kiln or support equipment necessary to dry and prep the boards...yet.  ;D  It will be my last lumber purchase ever...I promise myself!!!  All interior and siding will be done with my own milled materials.

Also started milling some western red cedar for board and batten siding.  We will have beveled siding in the gables to contrast and will also be building custom cedar doors for the large bay openings.  Here is some of the cedar I have milled already...

outerbanxer

I dunno, it looks pretty and all, but it might not be big enough :D

All I can say, is if I ever get divorced, I will build one of these and just frame in a little apartment overtop! AWESOME workshop!

slider

al glenn

Geeg

Looks great!, congrats on the new shop, kind of like my new shop except you super sized yours  ;D. Keep those pic coming.

Geeg
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Leigh Family Farm

Nice! With a shop that big are you gonna host the Western Pig Roast?!  :D :D
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

grweldon

Just absolutely magnificant!  That cedar on the outside will add a BUNCH of class to the building!  I'm drooling just thinking about it!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

sawmillhand

QuoteMy thought was build big in the beginning...you can never have enough space

My thought always when in doubt build it bigger and add 20 feet to that lol  looks very good i know you will enjoy it.  ;D
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

amgont75

It looks amazing.  Can't wait to see the finished pictures.  GOOD LUCK
Andrew From Arizona

sandhills

There is one major problem I see that will need to be addressed immediately, location location location!  I'll send you my address  ;)

dboyt

Beautiful.  Will it house the mill, too?  That telehandler is the perfect tool, opens up a lot of possibilities for construction & log handling.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

thecfarm

A very nice plan and building you have there, good luck with the adventure.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

50x100 may seem huge now, but wait until you start putting stuff in it. Suddenly you will need a second build for the rest of your stuff. hahaha.  :D

ayerwood

Well, last week, we got the second story up and some of the osb siding.  It is starting to look more like something that I may be able to use.   ;D  We are currently waiting on a custom sized beam so I will get more pics as things get done next week.

hackberry jake

You could fit two of my shops plus two of my saw sheds in that dude. Do we have an envy smiley?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ayerwood

In response to dboyt.  The mill will not be inside.  I will have an open air shed to house it under.  I will probably start this in the fall/early winter when things slow down for me a bit.  I am also putting up a dehumidifier kiln(or 2 or 3 for different quantities and lengths) and building a bunch of "air drying roofs" for my stacks.  I stole Jim Rogers' idea for that.  ;D  Thank you Jim!  It's a great thread for those of you who haven't seen it.  Simple and smart.  The thread is called "My lumber storage story" and you guys should check it out if you haven't yet.

Basically, Rome wasn't built in a day.  I hope to have all the infrastructure by late spring/early summer of next year.  I will continue posting pics of the progress and I hope you all enjoy.  It's very exciting for me and my whole family.

mad murdock

Wow, tell me about it!! 5,000 sq ft and that is just the bottom floor plan, add the upstairs and leantoo, I bet that place squares out at almost 12,000!!! I wanna see pics of all the toys it gets stuffed with 8). That WRC board N bat going to be my-T-fine!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WoodenHead

That is a really nice building!

Perhaps I missed the story behind the building, but I was wondering what you were planning on doing?  Lumber sales I assume?

Thank You Sponsors!