iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TF shed

Started by WineandWood, May 07, 2012, 11:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WineandWood

We have been in need of a shed since we bought our house.  We live in a subdivision so the shed will have to remain small 10X12 at the largest.  I was planning on stick built but a few weeks ago came to the conclusion this might be a good way to learn TF since I have always wanted to.  I have too many questions to ask at this point but have to start some where.  What would be the best floor for this type of project? Would it be possible to frame a floor on cinder blocks and then from there up TF?  Frame in mortises for the post to attach to the floor?  My idea would be to keep the floor off the ground.  Also would beetle kill pine work for post and beams? I have a friend who needs help on a cabin on some property that got hit hard with beetles.  A lot of dead trees that need removed.  We both have CSMs and I just bought a Ripsaw.  Could we cut the timbers out of these?  I like the price of this option the best ;D.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: WineandWood on May 07, 2012, 11:15:25 AMWhat would be the best floor for this type of project? Would it be possible to frame a floor on cinder blocks and then from there up TF?  Frame in mortises for the post to attach to the floor? 

You can do a timber frame floor or you can do a stick built floor and timber frame above that. That is up to you. The more timber framing you do the faster you get and the easier it becomes.

QuoteAlso would beetle kill pine work for post and beams?
Could we cut the timbers out of these?

As long as the wood is solid it would be fine. And you can use any method you can to cut them into timbers.

Keep asking questions, and welcome to the forum.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Have you viewed the thread by jander3 ?  He built something like that this past year.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WineandWood

Thanks for the info so far.  I read the topic by Jander3 earlier.  Seems very similar to what I want.  The main reason for going stick built floor is all the free cinder blocks I picked up for when I was going to stick build the whole thing.  I am sucker for free.  I am told the logs are very solid just dead and standing dead from the bugs.  I am hoping to have enough to saw up some lumber for wood working projects.  I am hoping to start this project this summer but seems everytime I turnaround something else is a higher priority.

Brian_Weekley

Here's a photo of a nice small timber frame shed on blocks.  It's 10x14 with a 6x14 lean-to.  In my opinion, this is a mighty fine looking shed too!  If you search the internet for "William Cullina Shed", you can find his web page with some basic info and construction pics.  Might give you some ideas.

e aho laula

WineandWood

Thanks for the Pics.  Looks like a great shed.  I will definitely check out the construction site.  Thanks again

jander3

Sketchup drawing for the 10' x 12' shed I recently put up. This one has three bents because I wanted a loft...so it is considerably overbuilt.

The drawing is done with TF Rubies so you can print shop drawings for each piece. 

Thank You Sponsors!