iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tried doing some milling on my new old Cook's AC-36 today???

Started by customcutter01, December 12, 2017, 09:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

Yep, pretty hard to swish a mill around.
I am not crazy about it being a structural part of the mill.
I would be tempted to fill it with something that would stabilize and stop the rust, then come up with a removable tank for lube bypassing it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

customcutter01

Yes the "tank" is a section of 2x6 tubing approximately 36" long that is welded into the head and is structurally part of the mill head.  Still debating what I'm going to do.  I think I'm going to try dis-solving the rust (almost 2" deep in the bottom of the tank), with some type of acid, then neutralize it.  If I can do that I will always use diesel as a lubricant in the future.  If I can't dissolve the rust I will either cut that section out and replace it, or add a small poly tank of some sort to hold lubricant.
Husqvarna 350 decked,ported,pop-up piston by me
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 570 rebuilding now
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
Cooks AC-36 Hyd Bandsaw Mill
New Holland TN65D

starmac

2X6X36 doesn't seem like it would hold all that much liquid, I might be tempted to fill it with evaporust, once I got the loose rust out of the bottom.

If there was a drain in the bottom, I would be tempted to put compressed air to the bottom, while using a shop vac on the fill hole and try to get the most of the loose rust out.

kelLOGg

You might try using a peristaltic pump to get agitation in the tank. The plastic lines those pumps use will hold up to the acid.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Dave Shepard

2x6x36 is 1.87 gallons. Less if you have to subtract the wall thickness of the tubing.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

starmac

It would be worth 2 gallons of evaporust, it wont hurt anything and doesn't need neutralizing. Iirc it also treats the metal so it will not rust again.

Don P

I've never done it, is this where setting up some kind of electrolysis would dissolve it. Or at the least it would remove that evening shadow  ???.

kelLOGg

Quote from: customcutter01 link=topic=99102.msg1532608xmsg1532608 date=1513479127
The tank is a section of 2X6 tubing built into the frame.

That sounds small. My manual Cook (MP32) has lube tank measuring 34" x 6" x 3. Wall thickness is probably 3/16" - that's what the main rails are.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

customcutter01

Yes, tank is actually 3X6.  Sulfuric acid didn't touch it, partially filled it added with H20, added sulfuric acid (drain cleaner), and let it set for 3-4 hours until it quit foaming, zilch, nada, nothing.  Still had several inches of crap in the tank.  I stuck a stick in the tank and felt the consistency of the material it was like a hard grease, similar to what you would find in an old time "grease trap".  We tried hot boiling water and Dawn detergent for 2 days, 4 tank fulls and a 36" bottle brush.  Finally got all of the greasy junk out of the tank.  Pulled the lines and went to Lowes and got 2 micro spray lines with valves and new brass fittings to fit.  Everything is working great now, and it will only get diesel from now on.

Also checked the alignment on the rollers.  The "good" side was out 1/2" over 20" straight edge that I used to measure with.  So when I got it aligned I just started cranking on the "bad" roller.  It was still out 1/2" when I did the first measurement.  Everything is properly aligned now and cutting so much better and quicker.

thanks,
Ken
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
New Holland TN65D

customcutter01

Forgot to mention, we milled more lumber today, than we did in 3 days last week! 8)
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
New Holland TN65D

KamHillbilly

My homemade mill has a similar tank , I added a separate tank made out of 4" abs pipe to run water pinesol mix when wanted ,made it easy to remove if needed . similar previous owner hade water in the inframe tank but wasn't as to the extent of rust you had.
Homemade Bandmill ,Clark 664b ,Case 780b ,Jonsered 670,630

Thank You Sponsors!