iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

240a deutz smoking at idle

Started by millcreek40, February 11, 2016, 05:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millcreek40

New to me 240a  motor is supposed to have 1500 hrs on a major rebuild. Runs great but smokes at idle  or anytime it sits running  for more than 5 mins. I had my mechanic come look, he thinks the cylinders are set to high. Anyone have any thoughts.
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

treeslayer2003

you mean they used to thick shims? that has been a source of great confusion, i rebuilt a 3cyl and they gave me three sets and said to use the same thickness that was there..........yeah thats precise.

millcreek40

Did yours smoke like mine? Exhaust  seems wet like unburnt fuel

treeslayer2003

no, i guess i got lucky. i don't want to sound like a smart aleck but you did check the air filter.....
other wise i might blame injectors.........idk alot about these engines, but they do seem a little more smokey than some.

millcreek40

I had the same thought on the air filter  took it out and it was dirty I thought great  put in a new one . It didn't change,but it did need a new filter anyway

jwilly3879

millcreek40

Andy is the one I always call   he said it would be fine the way it is but I don't like the smoke   he said it is shimmed to high  he looked it over last night guess I will use it the way it is till mud season than have him work his magic   doesnt smoke when working it ,just when idling

David-L

My five cylinder smoked until it warmed up, and yes setting the deck height if the jugs have been off is in the manual. I changed a few fire rings but did not have to take the jugs off. Hows it start in the cold, and does the intake heater and fuel squirt work. I did replace my injectors and that did help with smoking alot. The tips on the old ones were done. Good luck.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Corley5

You replaced the outer filter but did you replace the inner one too  ???  Been there, done that  ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

millcreek40

I don't think it starts as good as it should.  It will start but you have to glow plug it a few times.  Andy did put in a new glow plug last night  the fuel squirter was only getting a few drops.? Ordering a new one  how do you check the injectors.any other deutz I have ever been around start great

lopet

Deutz engines run on Bosch fuel pumps. The earlier 6 cylinder had rotary pumps, but if yours is about thirty years old, it most likely has the piston pump, which are trouble free.
If that engine had a overhaul 1500 hrs ago and the pump didn't get touched, I would lean more towards a pump setting. No harm can be done , but like you said, may not all fuel gets burned.

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

kiko

It is still major engine work , but bringing the liners down is a whole lot easier than bringing them up.  After measuring the crown clearance, and removing head the liner can be raised enough to snip the right amount of shims. As for as the injector go, break them off one at at time while the engine is smoking and see if one clears off the smoke,  not to likely all injectors have failed in the same amount in the same way.  Also a compression check would test the crown clearance issue for validity.

David-L

Mine would start great down to 20 degrees and after that I had a flex pipe from my truck exhaust to the jugs and it would fire up after a little warming. I beleive I looked at your machine and was wondering about the injection pump as at 25 degrees the day I looked he had to crank it abit to make it run.

millcreek40

Wood butcher

Does it use motor oil? I have a 4020 diesel JD with low hours on overhaul that smokes at idle. It uses no motor oil. I replaced injectors and it still does. The culprit is the injector pump which was not rebuilt when motor was.

David-L

Yes , Plainfield near the the capitol.

David-L

Great motors, You will get it sorted out and it will be worth it. Mine was a good puller after getting it fixed up a bit.  That pic is getting it back together after some fire rings and  good advice from Kiko along the way..

millcreek40

millcreek40

What do you mean by the inner filter???

Logger RK

Im curious to find out what your problem with it is. I have a 5 cyl that does the same. Idling cold it smokes. Once it's warmed up it doesn't. Doesn't burn oil. I changed rings a couple years ago & didn't help. Was told I should've  done sleeves Pistons & rings. Maybe I'll loosen injector lines one at a time & see if I find which is bad,like stated earlier.

Corley5

Maybe yours doesn't have one but my Deutz has an inner filter inside the outer filter.  It will look fine but is plugged and will make the engine smoke.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

millcreek40

I was saying before that I didn't think it started very good. It was zero here this morning, I put the hose over the exhaust on my truck,  stuck the hose in the hole on the side of the motor. sharpened my saws and it started. Not exatly like summer but it did start

millcreek40

It's been a while since I last posted. I have running the 240 a lot   Swintons came over & checked the jug clearance with solder. They were to high. Took it all apart & got the clearance where it is suppose to be. Got it running again it still smokes!!  Maybe not as bad. Andy thought maybe there was a lot of fuel in the muffler so I took it of and ran with a straight pipe. It's the same. Going to try adjusting the timing by turning the pump.  Any thoughts????

kiko

If breaking it off after the crown clearance correction still does not isolate the smoke to one cylinder, it could have a timing issue.  To be correct it must be flow timed.   What color is the smoke?   

millcreek40

The smoke is white. Looks like it wet stacks after it sits idleing for a while. It cleans right up when running it. No smoke at all.  Just when it sits. I think it is over fueling some how

Thank You Sponsors!