iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

372 bar oiler problem?

Started by D._Frederick, April 25, 2007, 08:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I hadn't used the saw since last October, I filled the oiler tank with the same oil that was in it. It does not appear to be pumping the same amount of oil as in the past.

What would cause the change in the volume of oil being pumped? Has some thing broken, or can I re-adjust the pump?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kevin

Is the bar plugged with sawdust?

SawTroll

What sort of bar oil do you use?

..maybe dried out oil in the feed line... ??? ???
Information collector.

D._Frederick

To answer some questions: The bar is a 24 inch Husqvarna made in Canada. I am using a locally made bar oil that goes by the name of Durex.

I took the bar off and took the saw out side and started it up, at a fast idle it is pumping. I suppose this oil has a different viscosity than what Madensen had put in it. (This is only the second tank of fuel that has been run through the saw.)

I was sawing some blocks off of a 12-15 inch log, the bar gets warm (can hold your hand on it) to the touch. I don't see any oil between the chain and the bar. With the old Homelites, you could see the oil on the bar when cutting.

How much oil do the new high speed saw need?

Kevin

Make sure the oil hole in the bar matches the oil hole on the saw when the bar is tensioned.
I was once sold a bar that fit the mount but the oil holes didn't line up.

IndyIan

The oiler is adjustable as well, try opening it up to full and see what happens.  I've never run an "old" saw but I hear they used to spray quite a bit of oil off the bar.  The new saws are a bit more thrifty with the oil. 
With normal cutting and oil the bar will get warm but not hot, watch the chain for "stretch" as well, if your not getting enough oil the chain will expand and loosen on the bar quite abit and then contract when it cools.
Ian

SawTroll

Quote from: IndyIan on April 26, 2007, 06:34:38 PM
The oiler is adjustable as well, try opening it up to full and see what happens.  ...

Good point, if he haven't done it already - somehow I assumed that he had.

My 372xpg oils a 24" bar more than adequatly with the adjustment screw 3 turns out - that is with Husky Veg-Oil. I believe max output is at 4 1/4 turns.
Information collector.

D._Frederick

I wonder if Husqvarna designed their bar oiler pump for using veg-oil only? I have a Husqvarna pole saw that will not pump unless I thin the Durex bar oil about half with diesel oil.

What kind of Bar Oil is being used by you guys?

jjmk98k

my 372 only gets fed Husqvarna B&C oil and I think its pumping it out just fine. 

I used to use Poulan Pro but after some comparison and talk here on the board, I am not going to use it any more. For me, the 1-2 gallon per year user, I can stomach the husky oil price tag for peice of mind.

Jim
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

D._Frederick

I turned the adjustment screw 4 + turns and I can see oil between the blade and the chain now.

Most places that handle chain saws do not have bar oil from saw mfg's, they carry oil from cheaper sources. I guess that there is not specifications on the type of bar oil so that it is all the same. (learned something again)

Thanks for the help.

rebocardo

On my Husky 365 I turn it all the way out. Oil is cheap and the more the better when prolonged cutting in 28" white oak. I get about a year out of my longer bars.

IndyIan

I run 10W40 full synthetic oil in my 372, nothing but the best! 8)

Well the 10W40 has gone through my atv first and I do mix it about 50/50 with real bar oil for some tackyness, but I don't seem to have any problems.  I don't really like to run my oiler to open either, makes that side of the saw a goopy mess!
But too much is better than too little!

SawTroll

Quote from: IndyIan on May 08, 2007, 09:49:05 AM
I run 10W40 full synthetic oil in my 372, nothing but the best! 8)

Well the 10W40 has gone through my atv first and I do mix it about 50/50 with real bar oil for some tackyness, but I don't seem to have any problems.  I don't really like to run my oiler to open either, makes that side of the saw a goopy mess!
But too much is better than too little!

Sound like a really bad practise to me - used engine oil, that is...... ::) :-\
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: D._Frederick on April 27, 2007, 12:09:02 PM
I wonder if Husqvarna designed their bar oiler pump for using veg-oil only? ...

Definately not, but you need less of it, for the same oiling effect, and if flows easier, specially in cold weather......... 8)

It is better for the environment and your clothes also. 8) 8)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!