iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where the lumber has gone- start of a shop

Started by Farmer Jim, November 06, 2014, 05:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Jim

Hello, just wanted to share a picture of where the EWP I've been sawing has gone.  Health prevents me working as I would like, but slow and steady will get it done.  I'm not a carpenter, so there are mistakes, but it should house beekeeping equipment upstairs and allow me to make bee hive parts during bad weather as well as a number of other projects.  16'X32'   18' floor to peak

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

Farmer Jim

Window was framed in before the stairs, now that window is a wall  :D
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

slider

al glenn

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

TimGA

I think it looks great, you really did not want a window there any way.
                               Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dboyt

Terrific workshop!  Did you build it from plans?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hunz

Something funny I have noticed over the past few years, is about how "carpenters" talk about or reference themselves. The ones who think they can build fine furniture because they put together a flower box is one bunch, letting everyone know their superb skills. The others are like you Jim. They act like they know  nothing about using a speed square or miter saw, but build a whole barn essentially from scratch with wood they sawed themselves. My hat is off to you for being a humble and accomplished man! :laugh:
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

OntarioAl

Nice touch with the tree nailed to the peak.
Very nicely done
Al
Al Raman

Bill Gaiche

thecfarm

As I say,my wood working skills stops when the tree hits the ground. What are you using for siding? Keep the updates,pictures coming.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mmartone

Shop looks great! I like the upstairs area, heat?
I wonder if I'm the guy building flower boxes or fine furniture?  ;D
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Sawyer697

Great Job Farmer Jim. Happy Bee Keeping, Hope you are having a good year. fly_smiley fly_smileyope
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

5quarter

Jim...Great looking shop. I'm hoping to "not be a carpenter" someday.  ;) Hunz...Man, you ain't seen my flower boxes. you can hardly see the nails.  ;) :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

blade69001

Great looking shop Jim, keep the pics coming please.
Quote from: hunz on November 06, 2014, 07:23:03 AM
Something funny I have noticed over the past few years, is about how "carpenters" talk about or reference themselves. The ones who think they can build fine furniture because they put together a flower box is one bunch, letting everyone know their superb skills. The others are like you Jim. They act like they know  nothing about using a speed square or miter saw, but build a whole barn essentially from scratch with wood they sawed themselves. My hat is off to you for being a humble and accomplished man! :laugh:

Us carpenters are a funny bunch, all too few of us actually are Masters at our trade. Because of the way the construction industry is, we learn the basics and then specialize in a specific field.  I learned framing pretty good when I was a young man but darned if I can figure out a whole kitchen from a few pieces of plywood like some of my friends can.
We are also supposed to have a working knowledge of all other phases of construction as well theoretically, HVAC still boggles my mind. it is ok for me though as we are all still learning and the trip is the real experience not the destination.
SeanP.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

ely

nice build... I claim that I can do just about any job I want to....just not real fast and sometimes not real good, but I can get it done. :D

Farmer Jim

Quote from: dboyt on November 06, 2014, 07:00:42 AM
Terrific workshop!  Did you build it from plans?

The only plans were that it be 1 1/2 stories and 16X32.  I wanted windows, didn't know what size and was ready to frame the walls when my Uncle came by and asked if I would be able to use some he had removed from his original house.  I went and looked took measurements and framed up the walls to use the five windows and a door that he had desperately hoped someone would use. 

Aside from the treated that I used for the in-ground posts, kiln dried for the above ground part of the posts (to keep the dimensions consistent with the treated), treated 1st floor joists, and treated Drimax T&G for the base decking of the 1st floor, the rest of the lumber is from trees grown and harvested off our land and sawed into lumber on our mill.  It will be sided with batten on board EWP.  The downstairs will be heated with a wood stove.  Hickory flooring for the first floor due to its toughness.

There will be two 4' sliding barn doors at each end to allow for easy removal of any project and ventilation in the summer as well as easy in and out with any long boards.

I would like to thank all of you for the kind words.

78NHTFY

Jim--bee-utiful job on that barn.  Been at mine for 2 yrs now--a little bit every time you get the chance and it will get done ;D
If you have time, you win....

woodworker9

03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Raym

Quote from: ely on November 06, 2014, 09:54:52 AM
nice build... I claim that I can do just about any job I want to....just not real fast and sometimes not real good, but I can get it done. :D

I second that! I often say that the best education comes from a desire for knowledge.
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

backwoods sawyer

What makes a good carpender is their ablity to hide their mistakes ;D
Fine looking project.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Leigh Family Farm

Nice craftsmanship! Do you plan on selling the beekeeping equipment or is for personal use only?
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Farmer Jim

Quote from: kilgrosh on November 06, 2014, 03:35:43 PM
Nice craftsmanship! Do you plan on selling the beekeeping equipment or is for personal use only?

I don't currently plan on selling equipment.  The plan is to increase from 10 hives to 40-50 next year.  I have taught myself beekeeping by reading and then doing.  Ten hives is too much for me, but 2 of my children have taken an interest and helped a bunch this year so we will make the equipment, it has become cost prohibitive to buy it all, so they can make a go of it.  I also taught myself to graft larvae and raise our own queens.  I have been queen rearing for 5 years (beekeeping for 13), so the only "cost" for the expansion will be time and the price of wax foundation, because with our own woodenware the 10 hives can be divided into 40-50 NUCs which can be full sized colonies by next Autumn and make money the following year.  It has great potential to become a viable business for them as there are very few beekeepers left around here and there is a huge amount of nectar producing plants all around as well as demand for more honey than I have been able to produce.

ozarkgem

pretty nice work for not being a carpenter.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

dablack

What a great build.  Yes, please keep us up to date with pictures.  The bee keeping plans sound good too!
Building my own house in East TX

woodweasel

Knute

RM Farm

Thanks, Robert

Woodland Mills HM126; Kubota L3200 with FEL, quick attach forks.

brb

Thank You Sponsors!