iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new to the forum

Started by petermiddletn, November 10, 2014, 10:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petermiddletn

Name is Peter and have lurked on this site many a day.  Born and raised in the great northern woodlands of upstate NY and currently reside outside of Nashville TN.  Raising three kids on a beautiful chunk of property.  Currently working in Okinawa Japan but my heart is in TN with my family.  Won't be home until the end of Jan.  My barn is currently full of 1inch ash lumber from some downed trees.  Going to build the kids some desks and other furniture when I get home.  Don't have a mill but my neighbor who is 84 and my second best friend (wife is first) has a band saw mill.  He cuts and I work the dumb end of the mill but learn loads from him.  I think a mill is in my future, growing up the Amish always milled my fathers logs. Anyway greetings to all, really enjoy the pictures of everyone's projects, great resource to learn. 
yankee pete

Magicman

Wow petermiddletn, you have been mighty quiet for the past couple of years.  Anyway a belated Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I wish you the best with your work, but your heart is rightfully in Tennessee.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Everyone needs a sawmill.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

slider

And an 84 year old friend.Welcome.
al glenn

drobertson

Howdy! not sure how it is in Japan, but spent lots of travel time through Tenn.  Cant' say I blame you for wanting to get home, but work has to pay the bill for sure.  glad you signed up.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

Welcome Pete, I just got back from a deer camp near Tupper lake. Beautiful country but it was blowing snow for two days. Its tough to want to do things but are stuck many miles from home. What do you do over in Nipponville, I've only been in their airport, and never had a chance to look around. Likely sawmills are scarce. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WV Sawmiller

Peter - welcome to the site. I just joined myself. Still waiting on my mill and reading up on what I need to know to use it.

Hope you are enjoying Okinawa. My wife and I were there in '78-'79. I was working on Futenma and we lived by the sea wall in front of Camp Butler. Our son was born there and we brought him home the day they changed the traffic pattern from right side to left side driving (Sunday morning 7/30/1978). I went back and spent all of 1986 up at Camp Schwab while the family stayed Stateside. Great snorkeling and scuba diving over there. Hope you get to enjoy some of it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

RM Farm

Welcome petermiddletn, I just joined about a month ago. As you stated, lot's of good info here. The knowledge base is unbelievable, and the people are great! :)
Thanks, Robert

Woodland Mills HM126; Kubota L3200 with FEL, quick attach forks.

dboyt

Welcome to the forum!  I can't blame you for wanting to get back to TN.  Hope the mill works out for you.  Meanwhile, learn what you can from your neighbor (which may include ways NOT to do things), and keep us updated on your experiences.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

schakey

Think-Dream-Plan-Do

jrose1970

Welcome to the forum!
   These guys can answer any question. I live in Tennessee too! It's great!
I don't have an 84 year old neighbor with a mill, but I'm a member of The Foresty Forum!
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, PetermiddleTn. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Greg Cook

Welcome, and hurry back home, Peter. The quote on the left says it all.  (I live a bit north of Murfreesboro)
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

manoverboard

Welcome petermiddletn! I too once hailed from NY, Hudson Valley to be exact. My family nd I spent four years in Misawa Japan, I've been to Okinawa many times. In fact my daughter was born at Camp Lester, that was a looong time ago! lol. Keep on truckin!
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

YellowHammer

Welcome to the Forum.  Glad to have you join in.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

mad murdock

welcome!! glad you could join us 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!