iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting slabs from 48 inch poplar stump with STIHL MS 461I h

Started by Kerrymr, February 24, 2017, 10:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrymr

I have a 48 inch stump from a tulip poplar that fell. When I cut the stump off the 15 foot root ball fell back down into place. I want to get as many 3 inch slabs as possible out of the stump before I bring in the excavator to remove it. I have a 36" blade on my saw. Ideas on getting as perpendicular a cut as possible from a stump that is sitting about 30 degrees off vertical. The stump is about 5 feet tall. I want to cut out some living edge round table tops. Here's a picture of the tree before I cut it two weeks ago. I sealed the log and stump with anchorseal.

Newbie to personal sawmilling- grew up in sawmill and pallet industry- Using Norwood Lumbermate LM29

HuckFin

Why can't you cut 5 feet off then cut your table tops with the log laying horizontal on the ground?

Kerrymr

Because that was way too simple an idea. I was needing some physics, geometry, and sophisticated new gizmos...but it turns out your idea is the best one so far...Thanks HuckFin
Newbie to personal sawmilling- grew up in sawmill and pallet industry- Using Norwood Lumbermate LM29

HuckFin

If you want to keep that first cut perpendicular, you could tie a rope around where you want the cut, paint over the rope then after removing the rope you should be able to see the line where the rope was.

plantman

I'd like to know what you're going to treat those slabs with to prevent them from splitting as they dry.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kerrymr on February 24, 2017, 10:51:21 AM
The stump is about 5 feet tall. I want to cut out some living edge round table tops.

Are you saying you want to cut some cookies?  That would be pretty cool but you know, its gonna crack.  The best you could do is to purposely make a radial cut to relieve the tension as it dries and hopefully avoid any further cracks.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

plantman

It's my understanding that if you soak the wood with a oil like tung oil or timber oil ( sold at Lowes ) that will slow the drying process and avoid splits. But I've never tried it myself that's why I'm asking.

Thank You Sponsors!