iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl HT 75 maintainence

Started by Bilge Rat, February 06, 2014, 09:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bilge Rat

New here
I own a farm/ woodland that we have over the years added over 10,000 oaks and other trees.I need to start limbing some of them.

I am preparing my HT 75 pole saw for heavy use.

My question is how do you disassemble, clean/lube the drive shaft?
Do you pull the saw head off and get to the shaft from that end or from the motor end or both? Is there anything in there that has to be watched for, jump out and land behind the lathe in the piles of misc. parts and pieces never to be seen again?

While i am in there the chain oiler is not oiling as much as it should. How is it driven?

Stihl does not turn loose much information on their products, even parts diagrams. I do most of my own maintainence  In my business, Drycleaner, Farm equipment, Built dirt track race cars, engines, skeet and trap machines, and inshore fishing boats, motors and wiring.

The 2 stroke saw motors are not much of an issue other than the small parts and older eyes but i like to have shop manuals so i can work on my equipment. I like to do a task right the first time instead of twice.

Thanks

Jiles

Not sure if this will help but I have a Stihl HT250 which has a 40 cc power head. My pump is not adjustable but oils good enough. As for the driveshaft, mine has a cable about 1/4" made like a speedometer cable. It has been a while but I believe I removed the chainsaw bar/chain assembly from the end of pole and removed the cable and replaced after greasing it with EP2 grease. Same grease I use to lube my equipment. Don't know if this is good or not, but it has worked for me.

Oh--welcome to the forum!!

Satisfy needs before desires

mad murdock

Can't help you on the pole saw, but I can wish you a hearty welcome to the forestry forum!! Might want to look into a silky pole saw as a backup if you have that much limbing to do. They are good saws as well, and real easy on gas ;)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

ZeroJunk

My advice to you would be to leave it alone. You are much more likely to have problems because you were messing with it than because it wasn't sufficiently lubed. Keep the chain sharp.

David-L

There is a pick up screen in the oiler as I recall and that gets plugged. I have owned an HT 75 pole saw for years and has paid for itself many times over. Just remember to undercut before you top cut to let the branch snap and fly as the bent pole shaft is pricey to fix and I know that part to. I also own three sections of  wood pole and a good blade for the smaller stuff.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

thecfarm

Bilge Rat,welcome to the forum. Maintaining 10,000 trees will keep you busy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bilge Rat

Thanks for the welcome.
The manual wants you to clean/lube the shaft every year. 10 yrs. old now so it  is time to look. 

Sprocket and oiler ,general checkup.  When the urge to work hits i need the equipment to work.

100% rain tomorrow so inside work is in order. 
Here in Georgia temps are in the  60s,  i feel for some of you north of here.

We have 70 acres of creek bottom, pine hills, and natural mix of trees. We added white oaks, cypress, etc. into and around everywhere and along field edges. The fields are planted in peas, butter beans, sweet corn.  Deer, dove, quail, turkey, and rattlesnakes are my livestock. It is my hideout.

ZeroJunk

Make notes on the order of the parts and which end the rivet is on.

Bilge Rat

Yesterday i removed the saw head and pulled the shaft a few feet out. There was plenty of good clean grease on it so i just slid it back in.

Cleaned the bar oil tank out as well as the vent on the cap. Found a little sawdust on the filter screen. Cleaned the rest of the head and passages then reassembled.
Cleaned and checked the powerhead then fired it up. Chain is now getting enough oil. Cut and trimmed up the bushes and trees in front of the house, about 2/3rds of a tank of fuel.

The pole saw runs great, chain ran cool enough that it needed no adjustment and stayed sharp.

It is ready for some real work now so i touched up the chain and put it on the ready pile.
Now the old abused 039 needs to be gone thru or replaced, used as a backup.

Thanks,  I have been reading thru here. There is some good information in here that will help most anyone that wanders thru the woods.

Thank You Sponsors!