iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

solutions for deere exhaust in limb riser?

Started by green mt treetapper, April 21, 2015, 03:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green mt treetapper

hello, I'm new here so please forgive me if this has already been a topic.I recently picked a 548d that needs some TLC.One of the first things is  I'm looking for a good solution to get the exhaust from the manifold to  the limb riser or maybe not even use this  original set up and run a pipe all the way up to the roof? Isn't this a problem on all the older jd's ,340 440 540 640's? I have a 440c that has some sort of aftermarket flexpipe going up to the limbriser,works ok ,but always leaks some even when I try to tighten the clamps or  attemp to seal it up good. Maybe someone knows of some really good ss flexpipe? I would love to hear (or better yet see in pics) some of your ideas!

celliott

Welcome to the forum green mt treetapper!

I can't help you with your skidder exhaust, sorry, just wanted to welcome another fellow Vermonter to the forum.
Lots of knowledgeable guys on here though, I'm sure you'll get a good answer.

Whereabouts in N. VT are you?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
A pic of your dilemma would help.
Am thinking that a muffler shop or truck shop could take your measurements and make a pipe to fit. 
Have seen some pretty tricky jobs fabricated by such shops.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

cutter88

The trick with them is to cut the spout that sticks out of the limb risor off and change the angle so the piece of flex isn't so badly bent it seems they did it wrong right from factory I changed the angle on mine and it never leaks, also run 1/4 flat bar up both sides of the limb risor gives it strengh seems they get week from years off hot exhaust running threw , as far as running exhaust elsewhere you will regret that because it will be like them old clarks and jacks steady getting bent and banged up. Hope this helps
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

treeslayer2003

on the clarks, if the exhaust gets bent up its not like factory. the factory piping was protected by the sweep and had guards on top.

i redid my 540 by replacing the sweep tube with a new piece of heavier wall tube and welded an elbow into it for the flex. weld the elbow high on the tube so any water runs down the tube instead of into the turbo, drill a hole down low on the tube so the water can get out. i may have a pic.......

i will try and get ya a better pic tomorrow

Oliver05262

Treeslayer, I like your design and may use it on a 640D I need to build new limb risers for. The exhaust one is rotted out, and we ran a piece of flex pipe beside it right up on the roof for now. The right side one is bent down bad. I had planned to replace both with 1/4" wall 2"X4" tubing and keep the exhaust out of the riser, but maybe the owner will let me take the time to do as you did. Looks great !!!
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

coxy

on the old case skidder it went through the limb riser it took a few elbows to get it right but worked great the newer case skidder we went up from the manifold 9in then an elbow  then went up to the roof then another elbow then over top and out the back this was all made with good heavy pipe and was less than 100 bucks  there is no muffler just straight pipe mind you this is not a Detroit  :D its a lot quieter with no muffler than a Detroit with 3 mufflers  :D :D

tantoy

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on April 21, 2015, 09:04:22 PM
on the clarks, if the exhaust gets bent up its not like factory. the factory piping was protected by the sweep and had guards on top.

i redid my 540 by replacing the sweep tube with a new piece of heavier wall tube and welded an elbow into it for the flex. weld the elbow high on the tube so any water runs down the tube instead of into the turbo, drill a hole down low on the tube so the water can get out. i may have a pic.......

i will try and get ya a better pic tomorrow
I like that, good idea
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

Thank You Sponsors!