iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved: Pine Lily

Started by Tom, August 28, 2001, 12:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

This is one of the things that makes woods walking so much fun.

CHARLIE

This looks like a lilly, though I don't see the stem.  Up here in Minnesota we have "Ditch Lillies" (Grow in a lot of ditches around here) which are the same color. The story told to me is that lillies keep spreading so the farm wife would thin her bed of lillies and throw the bulbs into the ditch, where they would take root and grow. Don't know if that is true or not, but sounds plausible. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Texas Ranger

Earth Star comes to mind, but I don't believe that is it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

It's  a  lily and even though the pictures don't represent it, it's stalk gets as much as 2 feet long and sticks this pretty flower above the grass in the pine barrens.

CHARLIE

Does that mean I finally won? 8) 8) 8) 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bill Johnson

I've absolutely no idea what it is but I know if the wife saw it we'd have to dig at least one up for her garden. :D
Bill

Tom

Naw.........we can't quit yet........

Charlie, guessing that that(double word) is a lily is kinda like guessing that a Jaguar is a car.  You will have to open a book I guess.  :D

CHARLIE

:'( You're still trying to git back at me for throwing hot pepper sauce in your eye......ain't cha?  I can tell >:(  Well, it ain't a ditch lilly 'cause they're orangie kinda.  I think Don_P is gonna have to nail this one down. ;)
Charlie

Tom

Pepper sauce !  Oh-h--h I can still feel that.

Oh bye the way......there is a hint in this thread

Don P

Aw shucks, I tried to mail Charlie my guess but he's gonna make me take the heat. Found my guide under the bed this morning, its as bad as looking behind the fridge now I gotta vacuum under there. :D
I'm thinking its a wood lilly. :P

Tom

It does look a lot like one Don but the petals are separated.  your in the right ballpark though.

Tom

I was just reading your Texas saying Don s........I didn't know charlie knew Steinbeck.  

Charlie, you didn't tell me you ran in those circles.

Gol-l-l-e-e-e-e

Jeff

I usually stay out of this because of an unfair, and to remain unamed source I have. But I want to win once in a while too!

Catesby's Lily or also known as
Pine Lily
Lilium catesbaei
Family: Lily

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

You win It Jeff....................we need a picture of you and the hat you won now.  

Hey guys.....Jeff won ! !

This flower has been put on the endangered list in Florida.  Not because it is necessarily rare, but because the residents are attempting to pave the state.  It can find few places to take root. Where it finds room to grow is  "in the undeveloped areas of little economic importance" like my place.  I don't feel too bad though, the tax assessor thinks my land is worth more than I do......go figure.

Did you know Charlie ran around with John Steinbeck, Jeff?

CHARLIE

I should get at least 1/2 credit for this one!  I mean....I identified it as a lilly.  Jeff wouldn't have known it was a lilly if it weren't for me. :D  

Heck yeah I travel with John Steinbeck. He's quite famous for inventing the Steinbeck piano line. :P
Charlie

Don P

Boy, Jeff speaks Latin too.
Charlie, I'm just as free with advice on car repair and romance, you're on your own if you take it. :D

"Travels with Charlie" is by far Steinbeck's best work IMHO. Sure wish we had read that before that book on muscadines, might have made it more interesting. ::)

Gordon

Jeff who is your inside source? Guess we would be shocked if we knew huh. :o

That flower sure is a work of nature at it's best. Beautiful.

Gordon

Jeff

I don't have an inside source, I have an "unfair source". ::)

Charlie, yes you must be right. I bow to the fact that you knew it was a Lilly first. ::)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

OK, Charlie.  Your right.  You need the credit for discovering that it was a lily and you did it right off of the bat too. For you award I will treat you to a haircut the next time you come down to visit, and I won't even make you have to decide which one.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!