iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Appalachian Red Walnut

Started by Ron Wenrich, January 28, 2003, 03:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Last week, when I was at the Chestnut booth at the Farm Show, I was talking with a guy who was making shaker boxes.  He told me he was interested in Appalachian red walnut.

This guy used to be a logger, and has now taken to building these boxes for a living, so he does know something about wood.

Anyways, he says this come from walnut that has a red heart instead of the traditional brown heart and is pretty rare.  I've never seen it in any of the walnut I've cut.  It's all had the brown or green tinge to it, never red.  

Anyone ever run across the red stuff?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

I've never heard of Red Walnut, Appalachian or otherwise.  Out of curiosity I've been searching the internet for anything having to do with it and can find nothing relative to a tree.

I found Red Walnut, Tenn., a town in Decatur Co., a Red Walnut Cemetary, a red walnut commercial stain/finish sold by Marshall Furniture,  and a red walnut dash kit that I suppose is a naugahyde fabric for automobiles.

Nary a thing about a Red Walnut Tree or Red colored Walnut tree.

:P :-/ ???

Ron Wenrich

He had a set of boxes he made from the red walnut.  There was a difference from the normal walnut.  It had more of a hue of cherry.  A really nice set.

He's always looking for figured wood.  He likes the mineral we sometimes find in tulip poplar - blue, brown, black and red.  The black finishes looks like leather.  He also likes wormy silver maple.  Anything with curl and especially crotch wood.

This week I've pulled about 200 ft that would normally either go into pallet or the chipper.  

When I take some wood down to him, I'll see if I can't get some shots of the red walnut.  Also get some shots of him making some boxes.

Bro. Noble

Ron,

I looked through the tree books that I have with no success.  I wonder if this lumber came from black walnut trees that are growing under unusual conditions or that have some kind of infection?  Ask your friend if he thinks this might be a possibility.

I have been saving back figured walnut for my brother.  Seems like a lot of times the figure starts showing up when the grade drops to 2C or lower.  My brother doesn't object to small knots so he will be pleasantly surprised when he sees what we have for him.  He was expecting to pay FAS price for figured wood.  I told him anything he doesn't want to give 50cents per board (not bdft) we'll put into pallet boards.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Norm

We have a lot of black walnut around here and I have not heard of or seen any that had a red tint to it. I'm anxious to see the boxes he makes and some pics of the wood if you get a chance to.

We had two white oaks that had a pinkish color to them that I sawed last fall. I q-sawed them and kept them for our own use. I air dried them in my shed and although they aren't pinkish in color anymore they are much lighter color than normal white oak. Guess this is what makes sawing your own wood so much fun.

Brian_Bailey

Ron -    Are these Shaker boxes the traditional oval ones?  I went through all my Shaker furniture books and there was no mention of red walnut being used by the Shaker craftsmen.

They tended to use local materials, but some craftsmen did use mahogany.  Could this be the wood that this guy is referring to as Appalachian Red Walnut?
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

woodbeard

Maybe a fungus similar to the one that turns boxelder red?

Ron Wenrich

This guy is making the boxes in traditional shaker style.  He basically takes thin strips of wood, boils them, and puts it around a form.  Then he uses copper tacks to hold the sides, and allows to dry.  For the sides he is using walnut, cherry and maple.  The sapwood on the walnut does not change color when boiled.

He then makes a lid and a bottom.  He even uses wood pegs for holding them on.  He uses various woods for the tops and bottoms.  A lot is "antique" lumber and he gives details as to which building that comes from and some history on the building.  At the chestnut show, he was using chestnut tops and pine bottoms.  He uses a natural finish.

He makes 9 different sizes.  A full set costs about $550.  I was rather surprised at some of the species he hasn't tried.  He has never used hickory or birch.  I've set some black birch aside that had a good red colored heart.  You also get some fiddleback grain in that.

Has anyone ever cut English walnut?  We have a few in the yard, but I haven't gotten around to cutting them yet.  I wonder if that doesn't have a different color.

I also remember seeing some walnut that has more of a milk chocolate color when sawn instead of the real dark brown.  I wonder if that is what he is talking about?  I also believe the Appalachian red walnut might be his label.

He did have a set of red walnut boxes.  They had a different luster.  It looked like a cross between walnut and cherry.

Fla._Deadheader

Hey Ron, any chance ya might get some pics?? These things sound really interesting. I would like to see one or three.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodbeard

English walnut is much like our black walnut, but lighter in color. I wonder if certain minerals or salts in the soil might impart a reddish color to the wood.
George

Weekend_Sawyer

Ron, was this the guy in the booth next to the Chestnut foundation booth at the farm show?

I beleive I talked to him for some time, very interesting.
I bought an american chestnut cutting board from him.
but I can't use it, it looks too nice, guess I will just hang it on the wall.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Ron Wenrich

Yep.  That's the guy.  I spent all afternoon with him.  We swapped some lies, then we talked about wood.  I'll be swapping wood for my cutting board.   ;D

I hope to get down his way next month.  He is doing a show in Frederick, MD  on Feb 8,9

Weekend_Sawyer

Ron,

Can you give me some information on that show, I am about 45 minutes out of Frederic.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Ron Wenrich

It's held at the Frederick Fairgrounds and seems to be right off of I-70.

Here's their website.  http://www.cabinfeverfestival.com/

L. Wakefield

QuoteHe had a set of boxes he made from the red walnut.  There was a difference from the normal walnut.  It had more of a hue of cherry.  A really nice set.

He's always looking for figured wood.  He likes the mineral we sometimes find in tulip poplar - blue, brown, black and red.  The black finishes looks like leather.  He also likes wormy silver maple.  Anything with curl and especially crotch wood.

This week I've pulled about 200 ft that would normally either go into pallet or the chipper.  

When I take some wood down to him, I'll see if I can't get some shots of the red walnut.  Also get some shots of him making some boxes.

OK, so I have a question now-- when we were cutting wood in WV back along, we got a good bit of the tulip poplar with the blue color. I bout stood on my head trying to figure out how to make the blue color stay- we used it for paneling and shelving in the library and the kitchen (it's still there..)--

but as soon as it started to dry the blue color faded right out- regardless of oiling, planing, or whatever else I thought of to try (which wasn't much).

Can you ask him if he succeeded and if so the secret?? That stuff is absolutely GAWGIOUS when it's fresh cut..lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!