iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storage Buildings

Started by EZ, February 15, 2003, 02:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

I know this logger that said he would sell me small logs cheap, if I wanted them. He said he could probably have a load a month. I know that the logs wont be the greatest lumber, but I was wondering if I could use the lumber for small storage building & sell them. Say 8 by 10 or 8 by 12 ft buildings. What I'm trying to do is find a way for my son-in-laws to make a little money on the side, their $6.00 an hr jobs just dont do must for them. I am a excelent carpenter, but not a very good speller.
EZ

dail_h

EZ,
  That's my plan for my treeservice pine.There's a guy selling that type buildings up on the 4lane-US17 here for $1500. to $3000. Ought to beat $6.00 an hour ok. I hope it and custom sawing will get me away from G P at $10.00/hr.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

ARKANSAWYER

EZ,
 I have built a few small sheds and it is the delivery that is the problem.  I built a demo and then just put the walls together with a screw or two and made it where I could take it apart and assembled at the site. Made it easier to haul in these hills.  I make the bottoms from old power pole lumber and the walls from scrap pine.  I use tin for the tops.  It cost me about $300 to build one and I can make one a day.  I sell a 8x10 for $650 about $200 below the lumber yard.   It is a good way to use up scraps and leads to bigger things.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Norm

I've seen the storage buildings that they sell at the big box stores, usually just slapped together with poor quality wood. I'm not sure where your located but if you get some traffic by your place you might try making one and putting it out front with a for sale sign. You'll most likely do better if you can deliver them for an additional fee. Another thought is to make up one and load it on a trailer and take it to some of the stores like wal-mart and park it in their lot with a for sale sign and price on the side, include in the price delivery within 50 miles or so. Ask permission first but you might find that if you offer to stay at the far end of the lot and don't leave it there overnight they are pretty nice about it. Another place to try is the big grocery stores that get a lot of traffic, try the same tactic with them. One last thought is to try the lumberyards themselves, sometimes the big box stores are friendlier than you might think, if you get turned away try the next one. Another thing to think about is to use colored steel for the roofing, weighs less and looks real nice

Good quality, reasonable price, and persistence may make this a way to earn some extra cash.  

Good luck.

KURT_STURZ

Hi Guys,
Up here in southwestern New York the Amish are building storage sheds by the hundreds. They are selling them for between $800.00 - $1500.00 delivered. They have them delivered on tilt beds, makes it fairly easy to load and unload. Some of them are very nice. They are making them out of white pine and they coat them with crude oil. Most of them have shingled roofs. They are getting orders for 25 - 50 at a time.
Good Luck!
Kurt Sturzenbecker

Ron Scott

I use to get my firewood up there from the Amish when I lived in Warren, PA
~Ron

EZ

I'm thinking maybe building the floor, then building the sides like double wide trailers. What do you guys think about this.
EZ

ADfields

Bild it on runners and not over 8' 6" (102") wide and most tow companeys will move them for you.   I have moved countless sheds on my tow trucks over the years.   I charged 2 times the car hook up price and same mileage rate, was $75 and $2.65 a mile but I was the highest priced in that town.   Some times thay must be set in a back yard with a crane or bilt in place so you need to know the kind of yard it's headed to befor you call the truck.   It would be a good plan to find your tow guy and get input on how he needs it bilt for the best shiping, also talk to light crane guys for rates so when you get in this spot you know what to do for your customer.   The runners need to be braced real good or as it's winched on the bed the floor joists will twist down flat (can you tell I did that?) and you will have a big fix job.   Just a 2x4 angle brace from the top of the joist past the bottom of the next joist and nailed to the side of the runner, 1 pointing frount and one back per runner will do the trick.
Andy

Ron Wenrich

I ike the built in place idea.  It would be easier to move around, and you aren't limited by size.

I would opt for something more in the line of a pole building.  All my sheds are made with 4x4 corners and 2x4 headers and purlins.  2x4s are used at doors and windows.  Simple design and a lot less lumber.  I've had over 3' of snow on these buildings and they never fell down.

For the walls, you could used air-dried stock, and use a board and batten system to keep out air leaks.  I'd prefinish the boards before installing.

On site, you would need a small generator, and air compressor.  Eventually, you will figure how to design and cut so your on site time is minimal.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

KURT_STURZ

Hey Ron!
You lived in Warren? I live about 20 miles north in Frewsburg - Kiantone NY. Those Amish are amazing. They get the whole family out there sawing and building. There's a reason for having 13 - 16 kids.
Kurt
Kurt Sturzenbecker

Ron Scott

I lived in Warren PA, 1978-81. Worked in the Allegheny NF Supervisor's Office as Recreation, Fire Control, and Law Enforcement Staff Officer. Use to go up to Jamestown NY a lot. It was our closest airport for commercial flights.

I remember a number of Amish sawmills up that way and use to watch them do their horse logging on their propertys to their mills. I also remember a lot of young kids working, especially with the horses. They also provided some good bakery goods along with low cost firewood.
~Ron

KURT_STURZ

Ron,
Were you over by the Kinzu Dam on Rt 59 Alleghenny National Forest Station? I know where the forest station is over there. If I had it to do all over again, I would be a forester. No doubt. I work in Jamestown and have lived here my whole life. I have alot of Amish friends that we work with back and forth. Very interesting people. They're like everyone else, There's good and bad in all of us. I know this is off the beaten path for this thread, But its good talking to you Ron, and good to know you're familiar with this neck of the woods.
Kurt Sturzenbecker

Ron Scott

Yes many times as I use to oversee management of the whole Kinzua Dam Recreation complex up to the New York border. The Allegheny Reservoir is a very interesting place, excellent boating, fishing, camping, swimming, scuba diving, etc.

~Ron

Brian_Bailey

Thought some would like to see what Ron & Kurt are refering to about Kinzua Dam Rec.area in Pa.

Here is a pic of the dam.

This is looking down the Allegheny river from the top of the dam. Warren Pa. is a few miles down river.

This is a view of the Rt.59 bridge heading east at Kinzua Point.

This is looking north out over the reservoir towards New York from Kinzua Point.

It certainly is a beautiful area, pictures don't do it justice.  My wife and I ride our motorcycles around the reservoir at least once a year.  Makes for a great day of riding.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Fla._Deadheader

Nice pics. Nice area. Thanks
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Scott

Brian,

Great pictures. They bring back some memories. We use to scuba dive below the dam every summer when they turned down for us. That's where we would get our years supply of fishing tackle.

The Reservoir made for some very interesting scuba diving with the old town of Kinsua on the bottom. Use to explore old buildings, fields, roads, railroads, the old river bed, etc. all underwater.

We also use to "drift" dive the Allegheny river for interesting artifacts. Some of my associates were "hard core" bicycle riders and they would bike the 100 miles around the Reservoir.

Is the Marina still there at Kinzua Beech?
~Ron

Brian_Bailey

Ron,

I was hoping the pictures would bring back some memories for you.  That has to be quite an experience to explore an under water ghost town

My wife and I bicycled around part of the reservoir one year for the American Lung Assn., I don't think we could do the whole reservoir though.

Yes, the marina is still there.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

KURT_STURZ

I've been away for two days. Getting some grade White Pine and working on the mill. Brian, your pictures are great. We live in a very nice part of the country with alot of natural resourses. Thanks Ron for helping to take care of it.
Kurt Sturzenbecker

Ron Scott

I remember that H-59 bridge being underwater when Hurricane Agnes came through there. Unbelievable!
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!