iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Logging Accident

Started by rooster 58, January 27, 2013, 09:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

I'm sad to report that someone i knew very well died on Friday, 1-25; from blunt force trauma to the head and abdomen.
     Seth was from the area that I originally lived. He grew up on the neighboring farm in Beaver Co., Pa. He was a resident of Chester, WVa. at the time of his death.
   The incident occurred whe he was helping to clear trees on the same family farm where he grew up. It is not clear to me if he was on a machine or i he was felling or working on the ground somehow. He was an excellent operator, as was his father.
    This is a tradgedy that strikes close to home and reminds me and should remind everyone to be cautious and work safely. It is ironic that on the next farm over, the owner was killed when he got caught in a p.t.o. that was engaged. Two terrible losses for such a small community :(

thecfarm

That is so sad. How old is he? I suppose he leaves a wife and kids behind?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rooster 58

Cfarm, he was 52 yrs. old, and yes he left a wife and a child behind. He had lost another daughter before his passing.

I forgot to mention that he sustained his injuries from a falling limb, whereby he had blunt force trauma to his head and abdomen

mad murdock

Sorry to hear of your friends accident. Tragic indeed.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

ND rancher

Sorry for the loss of an old friend May your memories of him bring you peace as you mourn.  Keith.
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

Rocky_Ranger

These are terrible losses to an industry and way of life that we most likely all cherish.  I used to cut right-of-way timber on road projects when I was really just a kid, then went to farming 18 - 20 years with all the PTO's and, even worse, grain augers, feed bins and large fans; still have all my fingers, arms and legs.  Lost count of the close calls, just lucky to be still kickin'.  Lost several friends and acquaintances along the way.  My condolences to the families affected .
RETIRED!

g_man

Prayers  to him, his familily and friends. I feel there sadness as it brings memories of others that were closer to me.

gjersy

Thats a sad story, that's terrible for his wife and child to have 2 deaths in the family, life is fragile RIP.
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

Magicman

Thanks for the sobering reminder that our jobs have so many potential hazards. 

Condolences to the family.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

I don't have any specifics, but I just got word of a chainsaw related death involving the former husband of a very good friend.  He was a hermit-type, and was found by a neighbor some time after the accident, possibly a day or more.  What info I have says he was standing and cutting an overhead limb, and he sustained a chainsaw injury to his neck. 

Feel very sorry for his boys, whom I have come to know well. 

Be careful out there.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

rooster 58

Hey Doc, sorry to hear about your friend. Accidents happen so easily and so fast, especially when one is too comfortable with the task. It sure reminds you to be vigilant regarding safety. But it still hurts to lose someone you knew well :(

Thank You Sponsors!