iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unknown evergreen(Identified. Norway spruce)

Started by Jeff, May 14, 2007, 12:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

When we were in Wisconsin, Pasbuild was describing an evergreen that he could not identify. When we were loding the Peterdon sawmill at Burlkraft's, it just so happened that Pasbuild spotted the exact same type of tree growing there by his driveway.  At first I thought it to be a Norway spruce, but I don't think I am correct now.  I snapped these photos for Bob so we could post them here.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

A few years ago, in the waning days of the last Century, I was visiting a friend in Maine.  He had a tree in his yard that, to the best of my recollection, looked a lot like that.  He called it a Weeping Hackmatack.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

As far as I ever knew, Hackmatack was slang for Tamarack or Larch.  Larch looses all of its needles in the fall where as this tree does not.

Gary_C

Looks like a Norway Spruce or White Spruce. I'm not sure how you tell them apart. Why did you think it was not a Norway Spruce?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

Because of it's weeping branches. The Norways I know of that are Norways , look very similar but the branches do not hang quite like this one. Other then that, the cones look right, the needles look right, everything else looks right to me.  White spruce have small cones. The cones on the tree pictured are large, probably 5 to 7 inches in length.

Ianab

Himalayan Spruce - Picea smithiana ??

The big cones, weeping branches and bark look right.

It's an asian species but we see it growing in NZ.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dodgy Loner

Being a southerner, the only spruce I ever see much of is red spruce, but have you considered that it could be a weeping Norway spruce, Picea abies 'Pendula'?  It looks like a normal Norway spruce with the exception of the drooping branches, and is a fairly common ornamental in the frozen tundra of Yankee-land.  ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

A pendulant Norway Spruce ???
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pasbuild

Both examples that I have seen of this tree have been yard trees, they may very well be an ornamental variety.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

caz

I've got 6 in my yard and they do weep with great big cones waht ever they are

jon12345

My vote is for Norway, see them a lot around here in some of the CCC plantations.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

solodan

My first guess was Sitka spruce, but then I noticed the scales of the cones were different than a Sitka, so I will go with Brewers Spruce. Brewers Spruce is native to the Cascades. Brewers Spruce was planted in Scandanavia as an ornamental, so maybe this is one more thing that the Scandanavians brought to Wisconsin and Minnesota to remind them of home. They should have left the Lutefisk behind. :)

SwampDonkey

Pretty sure they are Norways. The branches droop on them here and they have big cones similar to Colorado blue spruce. We plant thousands of acres of them on private lands. I find they suffer from wind burn in winter quite bad when newly planted, but they grow fast on good sites.

Looks like a new crop of cones or pollen cones are emerging.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

Definitely a Norway spruce.  Maybe an ornamental cultivar, but definitely Norway spruce.

WDH

Way to go guys.........I am Norway spruce challenged........
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!