iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: The weather 2019

Started by SwampDonkey, January 01, 2019, 04:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxskllr

Almost 90° again, but drier, and a decent breeze. Can't say I like it, but summer in MD can be much worse. Got a bunch of wedges cut for my Alaskan mill. I cut cedar branches from a pruning job a month or so ago. Just quick cuts with the chainsaw. They're on the dash of the truck, making it smell nice. I'll get around to stripping the bark later. Pretty much got all the pieces to start milling. Just need to get it all assembled. I've been slacking getting started on it all. It's so hot, it's hard to get motivated to push a screaming engine through a log. I'll try to get my rails on the log and aligned next week, and maybe even get a saw in the wood by the end of the week, or early the week after. Sure wish it were fall...

thecfarm

A light rain last night and another light rain tonight. My garden needs the rain. The wet hole by the road don't need the rain. ;D  Still she water in the ruts the wife made mowing. The last few days has been nice for temps. Not much sun. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

A Scottish mist overnight and this morning, looks like fog, but when you are out in it you see rain drops falling. ;D 90% RH outside and 65F. Turned the furnace on early to draw down the humidity, now at 62% RH and still falling with 72F. Of course with dehumidifer on in basement, 50% RF down there and fairly steady within a percent.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

A few showers this morning, all done now and blue sky over us. We are starting to need a bit more rain here, bone dry under the taters. Cold front moved in here, and drying out the air mass again. I did get 11 taters yesterday under the first hill I dug. New taters and Bar-B-Q- steak today. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Maybe that cold front will head my way.
Warm here all ready this morning. I am watering the garden. My soil up by the house is on the dry side. I can plant in my garden before some people can even walk on thier's. But I am watering before them too.
Finally things are starting to grow. That month of almost steady cold,cloudy,rain,set me back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lxskllr

85° right now, with 90° expected. Humidity ~52%. could be worse I guess. Felt coolish when I went out on the porch to finish getting groceries in from this morning. Decided to bring the big wood up to the porch I cut earlier this week. Out in the sun's a whole different game. Got the biggest stuff up and quit. That violates my policy of not sweating on weekends if I'm not having fun. I'll get it some time next week after work when I'm already sweaty and disgusting.

Old Greenhorn

I haven't posted on this thread in quite a while. The weather has been 'normal' some hot, some cool, some rain. No snow or ice. Tomorrow I start my annual week of camping and working in the middle of a hayfield. The weather matters somewhat. :)Glad to see the forecast has nothing special, no temps over 90, the humidity should stay 80% or below. If it is true, it will be one of the best weeks we have had in years. Usually we get some heavy rain, some 95 temps with 95% humidity. We have also had night temps in the 40's. I have to drive to get to the nearest tree, so it can get hot in the sun. As I am 'working' (providing medical support to the public, artists,  and staff) there is little opportunity to chose where I am. Seems like every time I get a serious case to work, it is in the blazing sun every time, except those at 3am of course. ;D :D
 Here's to hoping the weather Gods finally cut us a break for the next 8 days. If @thecfarm 's wish comes true, we can work with that too. Better than the 300 heat related cases we handle some years. Never had a frostbite case yet at this one. ;D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

:D That reminds me of one of my fishing trips some 25 years ago. We camped out in a tent on the grounds of an old saw mill site, along the banks of the Renous River. It was 95F by day and near 32F at night time. The coldest, I just couldn't stand it no more, we hopped into the pickup at 2:00 am or so and put the heat on. Man, that was the hottest and coldest days and nights one should endure in July under the northern sun. :D :D

SwampDonkey

65F here this afternoon on the porch, sending some along down your way @thecfarm . ;D

SwampDonkey

Dang, it's hot! 95F on the porch, 87F upstairs, with 50% RH. Going to cool down though, 70's next week and one day in the 60's with rain. Will get northern summer back again. :)

thecfarm

The garden is a growing now. And yes it is hot too.

Chuck White

The "heat index" was over 100 here today!  smiley_sun  smiley_sweat_drop

Lots of sweat even when just trying to relax!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Garden is bone dry here, no water of significance for 3 weeks. The cuke beetles have stunted the squash and set the cukes back a bit in the main garden. Never see any at all in the upper garden, those cukes are growing like gang busters up there. Should see the onions up there, monster tops. :) Probably should have had more manure on the squash. Will likely put on floating fabric next summer on squash until they blossom. Gotta have them bees ya know. Actually, mine are the wild kind, I don't use poisons on the garden.  ;) The corn is also shading the squash. So, no squash this year. The beetles chewed up the cotyledons, which were nearly 3" long, , which are essential for seedlings to get that initial kick. The beans and pumpkin vines are going gang busters in the main garden.

73F and 60 % RH this morning. Suppose to cool off today, but not looking that way. :D

Al_Smith

It's been in the 90's for the last week also had plenty of rain.That part is working well .I don't use herbicides so the weeds are doing well .Tomatoes,yellow squash ,cucumbers doing well. Planted the green beans twice.Must have gotten a bad bunch of seed or something.
The heat has the grass slowed down but the buck horn is doing well .Only needs mowed about once every two weeks which doesn't break my heart .
In spite of late planting for the farmers the corn looks good,soy beans so so .They might make out okay with a late frost .I haven't heard how well the wheat did but it should all be off by now .

Skip

HOT  :o. Waitn, for that cool Canadian air ,supposed to be delivered tomorrow. :'( 8)

chevytaHOE5674

Haven't posted much but summer arrived. Had 2 hot dry weeks and got quite a bit of other people's hay made, also bought another farm so been busy getting that setup. Been raining daily and hot/humid over the last week (~4" of rain). Thunderstorms last night with a cold front and now today it's only 65°.

SwampDonkey

Well, it has cooled down to 70F outside with some light showers and a breeze has started up. Going to be a nice pleasant week in the north country, almost need my plaid shirt on today. :)

lxskllr

It's awful here. Currently 93° and rising. Dying to do some tree work, but it's just too hot. It's supposed to "cool down" to ~80° later in the week. Hopefully I can get my stupid grass shorter, then work on getting my Alaskan setup. It's been too hot to even think of it. Also, on the farm, there's a broken willow limb hanging next to the drive. That'll be a climbing gig, and I suppose it'll be tolerable at 80°. Got to check it out further, and develop a plan.

lxskllr

Hot again today. Spent most of the day in the office, but went out with the boss to do a quick job. On the way back, we stopped by the pond to inspect the beaver damage. It looks like he was working on the big willow more, and that little #$!@# cut one of the bald cypress(formerly known as dawn redwood) I found down, and pretty much girdled one of the nicest ones around the pond. We found some sheet metal to put around it, but it didn't cover the whole trunk. I don't think it'll help anyway. There's hardly any bark left   :^(

I might have to come up here in the morning with my shotgun. Those trees are what got me started cleaning the farm. I can't have that thing cut down every decent tree there. Of course it barely touches the sweet gum that grows like a weed  :^S

SwampDonkey

72F is as hot as it was today.

Here is the state of the gardens and maybe we will get rain tomorrow. :)

July 2019 Gardens - YouTube

lxskllr

Fairly pleasant today. I don't think it hit 80°, and there was off and on light rain; mostly off.

The beaver chronicles continue... We tried wrapping some more shaved cypress with silt fence filter cloth. I'm hoping that'll discourage them from chewing. Aside from chewing the trees I like, I'm almost amused by their work. The pond's getting filled up. Some of you might remember my thread asking about filling in a riser. Looks like the beaver's got that covered, but he didn't put the bypass pipes in first. It's gonna get interesting down there really soon  :^D  It actually looks pretty good. I just wish they'd keep their teeth to themselves, or at least stick to cutting sweetgum.

thecfarm

Cooled off here too. Did warm up late afternoon.

SwampDonkey

82F here yesterday, but RH of 50% or so. Was overcast this morning, but suspect same kind of day. I was out in the garage this morning putting up a bench and shelves and I didn't sweat none at least. The house is about 68F down stairs and 72F upstairs, just right. :)

SwampDonkey

We are in a hot stretch for 3 days here. Yesterday, I was out in it until I could barely lift my feet. Walking through ferns and raspberry plays one out in the heat. That stuff was growing in under young hardwoods we are going to thin and was mixed together. So it was like walking through baler twine all day in the old trails. :D

Not bad in the house with the fans on and furnace bringing drier cool air up. Windows were open last night and humidity was 78% this morning, but the furnace and dehumidifier has dropped it to 65% already. It'll probably drop to 55%. :)

Ljohnsaw

After a hot weekend (106°F) both days, yesterday's 93° was like spring.  This morning, its down to 65° and will only get to 90-92°.  Got the house down to 68° 8)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!