iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Battery operated chain saws

Started by ForestMan, January 03, 2018, 04:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForestMan

I am interested in buying a battery operated chain saw.  Reasons include avoiding noise and exhaust and to add portability to my electric chain saw.  I like the fact that with my electric chain saw, all I have to do is add chain oil, plug it in, and I'm cutting.  I don't have to mess with mixes, worry about biofuels messing up my saw, or issues pulling a cord to start my saw.  The drawback, of course, is the length of the cord.  If I could cut the cord and make an electric saw portable, that would be good.  I have heard that batteries have come a long way and you get decent cut time now.  What kind of price and brands are we talking about for a decent saw?  It does not have to be professional, but sturdy.  Thanks for any input you can give me.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

starmac

There is a couple of active threads going right now, one on the new husky and one on stihl.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

VirginiaFarm

I bit the bullet and bought a Stihl MS200C-BQ this summer- took a month to get here because it was backordered. That was disappointing, but a good sign that others were getting them too.
The saw has been excellent. They say to sharpen it more frequently than gas-powered saws. I use it for many purposes- limbing trees, cutting firewood & close-up work/brush clearing. I have dropped several 12"+/- trees with it.
The saw takes some time getting through thick stuff, even with the 14" bar over the 12". I was cutting oak firewood and had a couple 20"+ logs to cut. Took a lot of effort, but I prefer it to the noise and maintenance of gas powered saws, especially for smaller limbs.

mike_belben

The smaller the bar the faster it will cut.  Also the more agressive and narrower the chain the faster itll go.
Praise The Lord

TKehl

A small generator and a wagon may cost less than a new battery saw.  Just a thought.   ;)

I like my Oregon battery pole saw and have friends that like the Oregon battery chainsaw a lot.  Nice feature for the chainsaw is you stick the scabbard on and run the chain a couple seconds and POOF, it's sharp.   :o

I may get one of the chainsaws eventually.  The batteries interchange between it and the weedeater and polesaw I already have and can be purchased as a bare tool at lower price.   Or swap batteries and keep cutting.  ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

HolmenTree

Whether you buy a Stihl or Husqvarna battery saw, make sure either saw is converted to the Stihl 71PM chain.
This chain is a extended pitch .043" 1/4" chain that takes a small diameter 1/8 " file.

Narrowest kerf semi chisel chain on the market which takes the least ammount of energy to cut through a log and makes more cuts per battery charge.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

They have their place but aren't for everybody .By the same token not everybody would have use for a 100 plus cc gasoline chainsaw .

starmac

Why would it be recommended to sharpen the chain more often than a gas saw? A gas saw should have a sharp chain too.

VirginiaFarm

I was told by the Stihl dealer that my battery-powered saw produces less cutting power and therefore puts more wear on the chain. Not sure what cc equivalent gas saw he was comparing it to.

Al_Smith

It would not necessarily put more wear on the chain .It's just the fact the chain would require to be kept much sharper to preform well .
I think these things are like a battery drill motor .They will drill a hole but it would take forever with even a slightly dull drill bit .Like an old farmer once told me .Son a sharp tool will make you money,a dull one will cost you .

zoltar

By the way, does anyone know why most electric and battery powered saws have a different type of throttle trigger lockout switch than gas saws? Except for a few Husqvarna models (436Li, 536Li, and 321EL), all of the electric saws I've seen have thumb-operated switches, while all gas powered saws have the switch on top of the handle that you press with the palm of your hand.

I have not used any of the electric saws with thumb-operated switches, so I can't compare, but the palm operated switches found on gas saws are engaged simply by holding the saw, so they must be more comfortable to use. Maybe the reason for thumb-operated switches is that your thumb would more easily slip away from the switch on kickback, possibly engaging the chain brake or something? If that is the reason, why is this safety feature only needed for electric saws? As far as I know, all gas saws still have the palm operated switches, even homeowner models.

DelawhereJoe

I think that has something to do with children, a small kid isn't going to have the ability to push down with their thumb and squeeze the trigger. Whereas a paddle on top to unlock the trigger is very easily pushed down, kinda like the battery circle saws.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

zoltar

QuoteI think that has something to do with children, a small kid isn't going to have the ability to push down with their thumb and squeeze the trigger. Whereas a paddle on top to unlock the trigger is very easily pushed down, kinda like the battery circle saws.
Thanks, it never occurred to me that child proofing was necessary here, because my only experience with electric saws is Husqvarna, and they have a "power on" switch that needs to be pressed and held for a second to activate the saw, and it deactivates automatically if the saw is not used for a minute or so.  If Husqvarna is the only manufacturer having an activation switch on their saws, it explains why only they have the gas-style throttle trigger lockout.

Ianab

I'd guess it's not just children that the safety interlock is designed to protect. If anyone picks up a non running gas saw, it doesn't matter how you grab it, it's not going to magically start up and bite you. If it's running, then it's obvious to almost everyone that you need to be careful.

But an electric saw is sitting there doing nothing, but can start instantly. Hence it's a "hazard", and needs some sort of interlock, that requires a particular user action to activate. They certainly shouldn't be able to start simply by grabbing the handle.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

zoltar

QuoteThey certainly shouldn't be able to start simply by grabbing the handle.
Sure, but do the new type of throttle lockout buttons eliminate that risk though? I guess it varies depending on where the button is placed and how you need to press it to engage it, but based on pictures I've seen, it looks like you can still accidentally press both the throttle and the lockout button if you lift the saw by the rear handle.

In my opinion, Husqvarna's solution is the best one. Keep the traditional and more more ergonomic lockout trigger, and have a separate activation switch that you can't easily press by accident.

HolmenTree

I'm still waiting for Stihl to offer a top handle battery saw. So I have to settle for a Husqvarna T536 LiXP which I've run in my operation for a few years now.
Great professional grade aerial saw and does the job well with no annoyances.
Very safe reliable saw to operate.

zoltar

starmac

I guess I am missing something.

If that little is a great professional quality aerial saw, that does the job well with no annoyances, plus is very safe and reliable, why is it you consider it that you have to settle for it over a stihl? Is it a dealer thing?

HolmenTree

Quote from: zoltar on January 08, 2018, 04:31:11 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on January 08, 2018, 03:13:26 PM
I'm still waiting for Stihl to offer a top handle battery saw.
Doesn't MSA 160 T ( https://www.stihl.com/stihl-msa-160-t-arborist-saw.aspx ) count?
Thanks for sharing Zoltar.  But as far as I know the MSA 160T is still not available in North America.
Still not available here in Canada when I last checked.

HolmenTree

Quote from: starmac on January 08, 2018, 06:04:54 PM
I guess I am missing something.

If that little is a great professional quality aerial saw, that does the job well with no annoyances, plus is very safe and reliable, why is it you consider it that you have to settle for it over a stihl? Is it a dealer thing?
Still can't buy a top handle Stihl battery saw here yet.
The 160T is available in Europe , Australia but not here in North America yet as far as I can see.

starmac

I understand that, but is sounds like you are satisfied with the husky you had to settle for. Are you thinking the stihl will be a better saw when it becomes available?

HolmenTree

Quote from: starmac on January 08, 2018, 07:39:53 PM
I understand that, but is sounds like you are satisfied with the husky you had to settle for. Are you thinking the stihl will be a better saw when it becomes available?
On paper the Stihl MSA 160T looks  more streamlined and better in ergonomics then the Husqvarna T536. I think they have a really good saw there.
I have to do more research about battery AH etc.
My 536 is old technology and I heard there's a 9 AH size battery for it now. But the 2 smaller 4.2 AH  I have work just fine.

starmac

Makes sense. Yea, I do not have any battery saws, been considering one though. For some of my uses I tend to think it would be down right handy.

Batteries have come a long ways, milwaukii now has a 9 hour battery for my shop tools, but like you said so far my 3 hour batteries are steadily getting the job done and I have plenty of them to not run out of power.

HolmenTree

I see Stihl has a AP 300 6AH battery that fits in the MSA 160T.

zoltar

HolmenTree, in case you haven't seen it, you might want to check out this comparison of MSA 160T and T536:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiCa-kC09CA

The video is from 2014, so it looks like both models were introduced around the same time. As you said yourself, they've kept introducing new batteries since then, but it doesn't look like much has happened with the saws themselves in the last four years. Not much difference between these two in cutting performance either, according to this video (T536 is slightly faster if you put the Stihl chain on it). Probably comes down to price, personal preference, ergonomics, and dealer support.

starmac

Holmentree, does the batteries for the husky have a gage on them?

HolmenTree

Quote from: starmac on January 08, 2018, 09:32:59 PM
Holmentree, does the batteries for the husky have a gage on them?
Yes the battery has 4 green light bars that shows the level of charge . Stihl's
battery has the same feature.
Quote from: zoltar on January 08, 2018, 09:15:35 PM
HolmenTree, in case you haven't seen it, you might want to check out this comparison of MSA 160T and T536:
The video is from 2014, so it looks like both models were introduced around the same time. As you said yourself, they've kept introducing new batteries since then, but it doesn't look like much has happened with the saws themselves in the last four years. Not much difference between these two in cutting performance either, according to this video (T536 is slightly faster if you put the Stihl chain on it). Probably comes down to price, personal preference, ergonomics, and dealer support.
Yes that's the reason I run the Stihl 71PM chain and it's bar on my Husqvarna T536 . Increases cutting speed and lowers saw weight

ChugiakTinkerer

Does anyone have experience running a lithium ion saw in temperatures well below freezing?
Woodland Mills HM130

HolmenTree

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on January 09, 2018, 07:47:38 PM
Does anyone have experience running a lithium ion saw in temperatures well below freezing?
I haven't yet but I just went out and checked the battery on my saw that's being sitting out in the freezing cold shed for about 3 months.
It's still fully charged and spins over really fast when I squeezed the trigger.
It was over 40 below here all last week and still 22 below F wind chill at the moment.

starmac

Thanks for that info, I knew they worked better in cold weather, but that is somewhat better than I had hoped for.  I have used some of my portable tools outside in the cold extensively, but never left them out in it, as the shop is heated.

HolmenTree

Battery technology has come along ways in the last few years with Li ion.
The old NiCad has had its place.

I keep all my saws in a outside lock up cold storage shed. I think the cold temps preserve them better like a meat locker  :D
No honestly I don't like the gas fumes of them in my heated work shop. But I guess I could keep the battery saw where it's warm .

John Mc

Lithium-Ion batteries have significantly better cold weather performance than NiCad or Alkaline batteries (which is why we always switched the batteries in our headlamps to Lithium when winter camping).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ChugiakTinkerer

Thanks for that info HolmenTree and John Mc.  I've been contemplating a battery chainsaw for a while but was unsure how well they perform for winter use.  Sounds like my only concern should be using the right bar oil.
Woodland Mills HM130

ChugiakTinkerer

I picked up a Stihl MSA 120 B-CQ today for my wife.  It earned me a big grin and a kiss.  We're doing some clearing on our property this weekend and it will allow us to work together much more effectively.  Carburated power tools vex her, so this baby should be perfect.  Temps look to be around 20 F at the cabin, so it shouldn't be too stressful on saws or selves.  I'll report back on Tuesday.

And thank you Stihl for supporting the forum.  Following the banner link pointed me to the nearest dealer with the saw in stock.
Woodland Mills HM130

upnut

Chugiak Tinkerer- Was wondering how the first day out with the new saw went. Had my StihlMSA 120 out cutting trails to some bigger downed firewood trees, it has taken the place of the old Stihl 011AV that always cleared paths. Visited Alaska Michigan over the weekend, on my way to visit our daughter who just moved back from five years living in Anchorage. She still looks for moose when she steps out the door... :D

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

petefrom bearswamp

I have 2
A dewalt 40v that is no good in my opinion, ergonomically bad as the chain brake is too close to the handle and i trip it when just carrying the saw.
Also the chain tightener is lacking as the chain works loose  easily and will jump off if cutting up thru the log.
My second is an Echo 56v which I havent had too long so the jury is still out.
It has 2 nuts for bar holding and the lock out is better.
Couldnt bring myself to spend the extra bucks for the Stihl.
Bought them to use on my RTV around the woods and at the mill for light cutting
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Randy Richy

I was using the Kobalt 80v battery chainsaw.  It was perfect for my uses, I usually just fell one tree at a time, 12-18" diameter, popular, locust, maple, oak and pines that the pine beetles kill. One full battery would last me for the entire tree.  I understand this is the same electric chain saw as the Greenworks 18" 80v.  Middle of December ('17) I went to start it and it wouldn't start.  Took it to Lowes who were nice to return it.  However, even with 3 in stock, they said they can't sell it because it is under "product review".  No one can tell me what is wrong, and worst, they can't tell me if they will put it back on the market.  I have a lot of 80v batteries and I am set up for the 80v chain saw.  However, I need to cut about 10 trees now.  My friend likes the Oregon 16" self sharpening 40v chain saw.  Reading the threads here, it seems like the Stihl MSA 200 C-BQ is an excellent choice.  Both are costly. 

So my questions are 1) Does anyone know what is going on with the 80v Kobalt? and 2) I am leaning towards the Oregon as a replacement- is it worth it or should I be considering anything else?

FYI, I have a sawmill and wood lot.  I cut trees in the Winter only, so there is not a heavy use need - 1 tree a day type of work.  Thanks for any replies!

starmac

My opinion and my opinion only, I think I would like to add a battery powered saw to my list of tools. I do think it would be useful, but If I needed a saw and was only going to own one, it would not be electric. That is unless there was some physical reason I could not use a gas saw anymore.

Randy Richy

Thanks Starmac.  I did try a Poulan 20" 50cc and with my multiple chemical sensitivity (mcs), I couldn't handle the fumes and the smell on the clothes.  I have 80v lawn mower, weed wacker and shrub trimmer.  It is a pleasure to work without the fumes and without their affects!   I just need a quality battery chain saw at a decent price after investing a lot in the 80v kobalt line.

DelawhereJoe

If I were you I would try to stay with the 3 major brands Stihl, Husqvarna or Echo for chainsaws. Its a terrible thing to invest in equipment that a company doesn't make themselves but just rebrands and you go into that store and see the shelf completely empty as if it never exsisted. I do hear many good things about the Oregon saws, but I would probably just dump the money into Stihl or Husqvarna.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

starmac

I understand where you are coming from. I can't help, other than to say that the best reviews bar none have come from Holmen tree and he is using his commercially. So far that has been husky, but only because the stihl he wants to try hasn't been available, I like husky gas saws, have a great dealer for huskys, so would probably lean that direction myself.

Randy Richy

Thanks Joe and starmac - for those interested, I have some data listed below from my internet research.  I didn't try to find the best price, I just looked for prices.  Joe, I hear you abou the the Husqvarna - The 120i has the best price, sold at lowes (they refunded the kobalt on a store card) but I don't know if it will hold up to my weekend winter warrior needs. I do like the automatic sharpener on the Oregon and the price is reasonable.  The Stihl and Husq 536 seems like great product, great reviews and even greater price.

Joe you have me leaning towards the Husq 201i.  I am still uncertain.  Thanks for the recommendations!

Stihl MSA 200C-BQ       $380.00    Charger    $89.00    Battery (1)    $199.00        $668.00

Oregon CS300       $369.99    W Slow Charger and 4 Ah battery      4Ah battery          $369.99

Husqvarna 120i 40-volt       $249.00    with charger and 40v 4Ah battery                $249.00

Husqvarna 536Li 40-volt       $399.95    Charger    $129.95    4Ah battery   159.95       $689.85

starmac

Wow, that is a considerable difference between the two huskies,  makes a guy wonder.

Randy Richy

Quote from: Randy Richy on January 31, 2018, 06:53:33 PMHusqvarna 120i 40-volt       $249.00    with charger and 40v 4Ah battery                $249.00

For those that are interested, I purchased the 120i.  Here is a review of the 120i with two 4Ahr batteries and the charger that came with the unit.

I used the 120i to take down several 10" - 14" trees, delimbed and cut into logs for milling.  The battery would last about 30 minutes.  I would put the battery on the charger and start with the other battery.  30 minutes later, that battery would need charging.  However, the charger took 1 hr 50 min the first time to charge.  So this was about an hour of down time. They sell another charger for about $140 I think that will charge faster.

The chain saw, at 14" performed respectively. It would often stop if I got to aggressive in the cut and I would have to pull it out and restart.  This happened a lot until I just had to be "slow" in the cut and then it would stay on without cutting off.

With a new chain, even going slow worked in all aspects except the speed in the cut.  The chainsaw pulls significant torque at the expense of the chain.  A new chain lasted 1 hour while reasonably sharp and perhaps another hour while being dull to unusable. 

For my purposes, using just the 120i in a single person operation to take several trees and process them, there was too much down time to charge the batteries and also too much interrupting in work to sharpen the chain.  I returned the 120i.

I do believe this one would be a great option for someone with short time operations, someone who is working in tandem - a stronger chainsaw to fell trees while the 120i used to delimb it.  The literature did say it was for light duty and perhaps I was using it for more than it was design for.  Although a solid chainsaw, for my purposes, it didn't let me do a days job with it - a one day job turned into a 2 day job with the down time.  But the breaks were nice!  :-)

starmac

According to Hollmen, it pays to change the chain out to a certain steel chain, which is thin kerf and takes less effort.

I think he uses the pro, more expensive model, which I would imagine makes quite a bit of difference, much like the gas saws.
Thanks for the review.

HolmenTree

Randy, I think your 120i's battery is the same as what's on my T536 LiXP. 
Either buy a stronger charger what I have or buy a 3rd battery. 

starmac,
Yes the only alternative for the best edge holding, better cutting performance and longer battery life is converting the Husqvarna battery saws over to 1/4" pitch and run the Stihl 71PM chain .
I'm not sure if the optional 1/4 spur sprocket on my 536 will fit the 120i.
But there may be one available for the 120i.
The market for 1/4" is primary the chainsaw carving market but with this new .043 Stihl 71PM chain everyone is covered.
Very nice high quality Swiss made chain. Takes a little 1/8" file.

HolmenTree

BTW you need to run the 1/4" pitch Stihl bar too.
Just a minor modification using a drill press to drill a couple small holes so it fits the Husqvarna.

For new buyers my best advice is buy a Stihl battery saw in the first place.

weimedog

Of course you would.

A price difference like that allows for the purchase of additional batteries. While another bar/chain option might be some what better, the ones that come with the all those saw cut wood as designed. I too have a little time on a as delivered 120i. A no brainer at that price point for around the yard work and even the occasional blow down (if its under 12inch). Like all those options. when in storage...that could last a year, no gas to go bad. No alcohol degraded carb and fuel hoses, no bar oil on the garage floor. Can even keep one in the car...no gas fumes. As this technology develops my bet is they eventually catch more and more of the gas saw market. At $250 the Husqvarna is an awesome deal within the existing market place......next year? Who knows. But why waste time buying and adapting anything. The thing works as is pretty well.

Stihl also has this option:
MSE 170 C-BQ - $339.95
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

tawilson

I picked up a 120i last summer. Went to use it yesterday and the battery showed no life, even when plugged into the charger. I charged it last time I used it in December and it's been inside since then. Very pleased to find out Husky battery equipment has a 3 year warranty, including batteries. So pleased I bought another battery for it.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

tawilson

I just checked the Stihl site and they have a 3 year warranty on their battery equipment too. Good for both of them.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

HolmenTree

Buyers need to shop between Stihl and Husqvarna .
As I said before the powerhead is the accessory for the sawchain and only Stihl makes the ultimate narrow kerf chain for a 10" battery saw.
The Stihl 71PM  .043 1/4" chain from my experience on my T536 LiXP stays sharp longer, cuts faster and cuts longer on a battery charge then the lesser quality chains that came with this Husqvarna.

Future looks good for cheaper lithium for the battery industry.

Why Lithium Stocks Are Plunging Amid Electric Car Boom | Investopedia

weimedog

The point is that while performance can be improved with price, that only matters if there is a cost justification. The person most likely to want the lower cost option won't cut enough often enough to justify blending brand bars and chains to get some percentage point difference in cutting speed. And as will all chains, they eventually get dull. Some can sharpen, and with the cost of those chains many will just toss the old and buy new for the weekend of work.....the next year it needs to be used.

For a guy who cuts all day every day, maybe it matters. Even then it depends on return on investment. But for 90 percent of that market its a non issue. Entry price is a big deal. And brand loyalty also is a big deal. As with all decisions, a portion is logic and a portion is emotion. The Like/Dislike either a brand or dealer can over ride any rational cost / benefit discussion. And ultimately when you are talking A a workable deal for under $300, the money side isn't that big a "deal"..:) As long as it performs the desired function in an acceptable manner. Any more than a few minutes of actual cut time will if the size of the job is a couple of hours every year.

AND you don't have to buy gas....just to have it sit in a "saw gas" can to be tossed a few months later....
And with the extra $300 bucks you have more pocket change to do things with you family...

There are a few lower cost options, the Husgvarna 120i being just one. Bottom line for me is I used it. It cuts wood as expected. It can be put away for another time without all the baggage attached to a gas powered saw. Its doesn't need another bar & chain option. Its a complete package. More batteries are available. ..$250 Bucks
wow. This is the beginning of the end for those $150 dollar gas saws. And as with the gas saw's there will be this divide between homeowner and pro determined by actual required use time....bet the next few ice storms and subsequent video records on social media will drive the concept home...and with all things price matters.

LOL and there will always be those wanting to improve performance. Whats a GTG going to sound like full of electric saws?? Big capacitors dumping copious amounts of electrons like nitrous dropping oxygen? Have the Nikolai Tesla Nationals? (NTN's ? )
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Spike60

One of the sweet things about the 120i is that it takes the standard 095 mount and runs a very common 52dl .050 3/8 lo pro chain. Items you can find just about anywhere. It would be counter productive and an unecessary expense to switch it to 1/4 pitch chain from the "other company." There may not even be a sprocket option to do so. The brushless motor on the 120i doesn't need to run the baby chain anyway.  :laugh:

The battery that is on the 120i is NOT the same battery that comes with the 536 pro series, and obviously not the same charger either. But, and this is important for guys shopping for these saws: The batteries and chargers DO interchange between the 100 series and the 500 series. Not sure if that's the case with the other company. So, this opens up some options for the end user. You could upgrade either the batteries or the charger if need be.

I'd lean toward the better charger myself. I experienced the same recharge time as Randy did with the 120i charger. About an hour and a half for a full charge. But it does get to a usable 80% in less than an hour. Upgrading the battery and not the charger would mean that it would take even longer to get a full charge.

Randy's test is interesting. I did a few trees in the 6-8 inch range. Haven't tried it in anything as big as the 10-14 stuff that he was cutting. Impressive that it would handle that size wood.  :)

Edit: Had a member from Georgia call and talk about these 120's. Had a good conversation and he pointed out an error that I made on the bar mount. The 120 takes the 095, not the 041 mount. Needs the oil hole in there. I corrected it above, but want to add this note to avoid any confusion. Sorry boys!
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Randy Richy

Everyone makes great points!

The 120i is a solid machine - it just didn't quit fit my needs.  Yes, the faster charger would have made it work but I didn't want to spend another $140 ($390 total).  

I haven't read that anyone is using the Kobalt 18" 80v chain saw with 2Ah battery and fast charger included for $300.  This is the one I was using before the 120i - I have other kobalt 80v tools so I have extra batteries (lawn mower, weed wacker, trimmer)  The chain saw stopped working and I went to return for a new one (under warranty) but they were on hold for some reason - hence, that is why I tried the 120i.

For my purposes - mostly taking dead/dying trees during the winter and milling them for my projects - maybe 10 trees a year  -  the kobalt works for me.  The chain doesn't dull as quickly as the 120i and a battery charges in about 30-40 minutes but lasts an hour plus.

The Kobalt just became available again and I will be picking that one up. It fits my work profile perfectly. :-)

BobbyG

Quote from: starmac on January 06, 2018, 10:07:20 PM
Why would it be recommended to sharpen the chain more often than a gas saw? A gas saw should have a sharp chain too.
Because the sharper the chain the less cutting effort therefore extending the battery's charge...

wild262

Quote from: BobbyG on March 24, 2018, 06:50:16 AM
Quote from: starmac on January 06, 2018, 10:07:20 PM
Because the sharper the chain the less cutting effort therefore extending the battery's charge...

I totally agree.  I own the Oregon 300 model.  I have noticed how much more important it is to keep my chain very sharp.  Even more so with these electric saws.  Performance wise, were on the ragged edge with these anyway when compaired to a gas.   If you bear down on them because of a dull chain, your stopping the saw all the time, which drains the battery more, and harder on the saw and you.    Heck, these are actually a good teaching aid for people that's never ran any chainsaw saw before.  They teach you good habits right on the start. 

Thank You Sponsors!