iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood storage

Started by r.man, September 28, 2013, 07:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.man

I am constantly impressed with the different ways people solve problems. This video shows a very innovative way to somewhat ease the day to day work spent loading a wood boiler.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CZfnxwJBwc
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

JohnG28

That's quite a sharp little idea.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

sam-tip

I like it.  Good work.  I would be afraid of burning the roof down. I have flames and back drafts coming out of my boiler door.   Well sealed gasser.   I want a roof but think I should go with metal.
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

jackel440

This is a great idea,I was considering something along the same lines.I had planned to use my skidsteer also.I also thought abount some kind of conveyor system to bring the stacks forward too.

DeerMeadowFarm

I am in the early planning stages of a similar set-up. I have 30' of C-channel trailer frame welded 7' apart. I plan to make racks that'll hold 1 cord. I need to come up with an inexpensive roller/wheel device to use at the 4 corners of each rack. I plan to pull mine forward using a 120V winch

Philbert

Nice system.  Looks well made. 

But if he's got the skid steer loader, he could just use forks and palletized / caged firewood to bring stuff up to the point of use. That way he could select wood to burn (e.g. species or age), rather than having to follow a sequence, store wood farther away (fire comment above), etc.

The winch idea is pretty cool too, if you can get a good deal on track and rollers.

Philbert

thecfarm

I thought about 2 trailers.Load up 2 trailers, use one and having one all loaded and ready to go. Than when one is empty,pull it out and re load it.Most of us don't have a skid steer to push with.  :( My trailers will hold about a ½ cord to ¾. I have used it a few times. I take it out in the woods and load it up and then leave it by the OWB.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jamesconley1962

Quote from: thecfarm on October 31, 2013, 03:55:43 PM
I thought about 2 trailers.Load up 2 trailers, use one and having one all loaded and ready to go. Than when one is empty,pull it out and re load it.Most of us don't have a skid steer to push with.  :( My trailers will hold about a ½ cord to ¾. I have used it a few times. I take it out in the woods and load it up and then leave it by the OWB.
That's what I do and it works good.

sam-tip

If you added walls or an insulated tarp you could blow heat through it and dry your wood in days.  Fresh wood on one end and dry on the other.   
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

Yatt

288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

AnthonyW

I too would not have the roof that close to the boiler.

I would also use wheels on the railroad tracks, perhaps old wheelbarrow rims with no tires on them.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

DeerMeadowFarm

Well over the long holiday weekend I picked up the sections of trailer. Man, that was a wide, scary load to bring home!  sail_smiley

Anyway; here I am unloading them.

DeerMeadowFarm

Here is the thought/plan. The width between rails is approx. 7'. I am thinking of making pallets 8' wide by 2' deep and stacking 4' high. This will giive me 1/2 cord per pallet. This way I can pick up one pallet with the forks on my loader and another on forks on the 3-point allowing me to move 1 cord out of the woods at a time.

I'll need 4 wheels per pallet though which is going to add up quick! I'm thinking of some simple metal rollers like they use on dumpster roll-offs but smaller. Maybe make some out of 2" pipe with "washers" welded on both ends and using a 1/2" grade 8 bolt for an axle? Attach to the pallets using angle....?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

thecfarm

8 feet wide coming out of my woods road would be a problem. Too many rocks and too many trees I want to keep.
I suppose these will have sides all the way around? Just asking because the wood might try to fall off coming out of the woods. On my trailer I just about have to bind it down when coming out of the woods. My woods are rough.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DeerMeadowFarm

I'm figuring some side posts with ratchet strap along the top for transport. My tractor's bucket is 6' wide; what's another foot on each side? :)

The wood lot I bought was logged maybe 40 years ago (guestimate) and there are main trails from the skidder that wouldn't take a ton of work to clean up....

Maybe I make the pallet part 4' x 4' each but my frame that goes on the rails is 4' x 8'! Still taking the same amount of wood out each time, but I'll be narrower and I'll need less wheels!

stavebuyer

Some sawmills use well casing or other heavy metal pipe to stack lumber on instead of lumber carts. On clean concrete one man can push a 6000# pack of lumber on the pipes.

North River Energy

Maybe do a test shove of a loaded rack, using UHMWPE (sandwich board) in place of wheels?

I'd be tempted to buy a box store splitter, strip off the running gear, bolt the works to the floor at the far end of the track, and use that to shove the racks toward the boiler.

Thank You Sponsors!