iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drill bit wandering

Started by D._Frederick, April 29, 2010, 04:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I am having problems drilling straight holes through 1 1/2 inch local ash. This ash has 4 to 6 growth rings per inch, I need to drill 1/8 diameter holes completely through.  I find that the bit follows the grain and deflects almost a drill bit diameter. The bit was in new conditions.

Is there any tricks to drilling a straight hole?  I don't want to drill from both sides.
I am using a Powematic drill press.

LeeB

Maybe try a brad point bit.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

JohnG28

Maybe try using a hole punch where you want the hole, so that the bit will go into the divet created.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

sprucebunny

Go slower with less pressure. Consider a larger bit/hole which would be a stiffer bit.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

metalspinner

Clear the chips often - like every 1/8 to 1/4 inch.   

Is the bit HSS?  I agree with LeeB on the brad point.  But a bit that small will deflect and follow the path of least resistance.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

1938farmall

have you tried very high rpm's?  maybe a hand drill/router etc. will go faster that the drillpress.  might also try experimenting with different angles/clearances on the drill point.  al
aka oldnorskie

D._Frederick

What brand of bits do you buy for wood working?  Do you buy bits from HF?

Are the higher  cost bits worth the cost?

Fla._Deadheader

"D", Personally, I feel that drill bits are only as good as what you pay for them.

Used to be, Vermont American and (#%^^%#) Can't remember ANYTHING anymore  >:( >:( , HANSON were the better bits.  Chinese stuff is not even close to being good.

I would look for USA made bits, no matter what the price.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bill Gaiche

Drill a 1/8" hole in a 1/4" piece of plate steel, clamp it where you want the hole, raise the bit out often to clean flutes and hole, drill slow at as high speed as you can. bg

Autocar

Maybe your drill press has play in the shaft ,not sure what you call it but mine is worn bad enough the the bit wonders and it is impossible to drill a rifle blank where the trigger guard and action bolt togather
Bill

fiddle1

i have three ideas that come to mind!

first take an awl and make a dent for the it to follow.

bits often deflect upon entering the surface skid and change shape.

second thought is to get a stepped collet. a stepped collet is a special
collet that holds the dril bit further down the shaft and is desgned to be fitted into the chuck.

the drill bit will be held snug and wont wander.

the third thing i would do is open the hole with a narrower bit first ----using a bit fastened into
a pin vise. a pin vise is this tool handle thing you get at the hardware store.

the thing is like a chuck on a handle. 
but its hand powered and gives you the ability to start a hole deeper
and more on target by hand then finish in the hole using the larger bit.

D._Frederick

I did three things and was able to drill straight hole: Changed to a brad point drill, increased hole size to 3/16, increased drill speed to 3000 rpm. Also center punched were wanted to drill.

I didn't think I would have so much problem drilling, I ended up drilling 1/2 inch holes and putting a dowel in it to re drill the holes that were off center.   

kelLOGg

Maybe this suggestion is not worth much now that you have solved the problem. Consider a 1/8 inch end mill - one w/ 2 flutes so you can plunge with it. It's much stiffer than HSS and won't follow the grain.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!