iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3120 exhaust ?

Started by parkmark, August 05, 2009, 05:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkmark

Last year i purchased a new 3120.  We use it mostly for milling and sometimes felling large dbh trees.  After it's first use I noticed that the handbrake heated up to the point where it started melting.  After three uses it melted through and broke off.  I have replaced the handle with one from an older 3120 but do not want to continue running it until I solve this problem.  The exhaust ports exit right towards the hand brake and i see no alternative.  What is the deal?  Is this operator error or bad design? Please let me know if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

01crewcab

I'm wondering if there is any way to do a 2100 style exhaust on it?
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

tyb525

Are you running too lean?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Tree tech

I will measure my dogs,  maybe longer ones would solve the problem, all the axe men fotage show extremly long dogs and an extra handle on the clutch side, we dont get that in the uk, is there a us suplier? Thanks tree tech

beenthere

Quote from: Tree tech on August 06, 2009, 03:21:56 PM
I will measure my dogs,  maybe longer ones would solve the problem, all the axe men fotage show extremly long dogs and an extra handle on the clutch side, we dont get that in the uk, is there a us suplier? Thanks tree tech

The trees on 'axe men" are large and some have thick bark.  Do you get such trees in the UK?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tree tech

Yes we have very large trees, not as many with thick bark,  i am cutting 5 ft dia dangerouse trees all the time, my remark on the long dogs on axe men would move the saw further from the tree ! Hence a cooler saw!

John Mc

Quote from: Tree tech on August 07, 2009, 02:23:38 PM
Yes we have very large trees, not as many with thick bark,  i am cutting 5 ft dia dangerouse trees all the time, my remark on the long dogs on axe men would move the saw further from the tree ! Hence a cooler saw!

Or at least a cooler tree ;D...  the longer dogs won't change the fact that your exhaust seems to be directed at the handbrake.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

teddy

I had a post about opinions on the 3120!
Were wore you!!!!  LOL!!!!!!!!
Neighbor has X2 and have seen them preform well!
They are ported to the left side! This is a home made remedy!he sheild can also be FLOWED
away from the hadle(BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO LESSEN the FLOW!)

Wanting a BID 3120xp
Matt

Rocky_J

Teddy, what does this thing mean?
!!!!!!!!!!

???

beenthere

I could use a translation too.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GASoline71

Sounds a little on the lean side.  Gettin' too hot.  Larger dogs aren't gonna gain you anything for what the problem is.

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

rebocardo

I had an after market brake handle melt on a Husky 272. When I measured the plastic on it and compared it to the OEM handle it was 1/3 the thickness at the pivot points, were it melted away. Plus, the plastic was not hard like the Husky. If you search for "doll plastic" you can probably find my original post.

I put an OEM bagged handle from my Stihl dealer (they use to carry Husky too) on it and never had a problem again with it.

> Is this operator error or bad design?

Bad design, the hot exhaust does blow back and heats up the handle on extended cuts (on my 272 - can't remember how my 3120 was - I assume the same), especially where the saw is against a fairly flat surface such when milling or cutting a tree that is more square then round.

parkmark

Thanks guys, I'll try a richer mix next time, maybe 40:1.  We were using it in a mill, but I just figured it would be designed for it.  Who knew?

John Mc

Quote from: parkmark on August 11, 2009, 06:39:59 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try a richer mix next time, maybe 40:1. 

I think he was referring to a richer fuel/air mixture (by adjusting the high speed mixture needle on your carb counterclockwise), not changing your fuel & oil mix.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

woodsrunner

Doesn't the 3120 have a fixed jet carb which may make it difficult to adjust fuel/air mixture?
Scott

John Mc

Quote from: woodsrunner on August 11, 2009, 11:45:02 PM
Doesn't the 3120 have a fixed jet carb which may make it difficult to adjust fuel/air mixture?
Scott

Oops...  that'll teach me to stick my nose in on a saw I've never run.

parkmark

Yes the 3120 does have stops which make adjusting the carb on these large saws a little tricky, especially at high altitude where we are, but yes I can try to run it a little richer.  Had a brain lapse, not sure what I was thinking inregards to the fuel mix.

John Mc

If they are anything like the stops on my saws, you can just trim them a bit with a pocket knife.

John Mc

GASoline71

They aren't afixed jet for what I know... If they have limiters on the screws, they can be removed and trimmed.  ...and yes, I was referring to the mixture screws.

What ratio are you runnin' now for mix?

Gary

Cut4fun

Early WG carbs like WG2 WG3 had a H side that was adjustable. Not sure which WG it started at but WG7 WG9 are fixed jet and H cant be adjusted without modifying and making your own adjustment screw etc.

GASoline71

No kiddin'?  Well I learn somethin' new everyday... :)  :)

Gary

Thank You Sponsors!