iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What?

Started by Peter Drouin, April 06, 2015, 06:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

My debarker stop going in and out,

I never had this happen before, All the gears inside are junk too  :D :D :D
I'm glad I have winter cut logs, Nice and clean. A new one will be here Wednesday.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

I keep a minimum of 10 of those shafts on hand. It is the same as the blade guide arm motor on the LT70. They both will break at the worst of times. I have it down to about 10 min to replace. The first one is the worst. After that they aren't to bad. Never had to replace any gears. That is a new one on me.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

How many hours Peter?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

3800Hrs

customsawyer, the shaft will not turn. After I get the new one I will open up the old one and see what's going on. Maybe the new ½" debarking wheel is too much for it.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Peter, are you getting a whole new Debarker?
Or just parts?

customsawyer

If you haven't opened up the bottom of the motor housing then I doubt that the gears are shot. That little motor is tougher than you would think. The shaft is the weak link in the whole set up. This is due to the hole drilled through the shaft for the gear or pulley to mount. Every one I have had fail did so where the roll pin goes through the shaft. When you take it apart be careful not to let the gears fall out into the saw dust. There is some grease on the gears and the saw dust sticks to them. Don't ask how I know. It will take a air compressor to blow the dust/dirty grease off if you let them fall. Your new shaft should come with 2 new slip rings and a new half moon shaped key. The new key will require pliers to squeeze it in. Pay attention to how the gears come out as they will only go back in one way. If you don't pay attention it will have you winding your butt and scratching your watch.  ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

Keep in mind that I am posting these this in reference to my LT70s. It has been almost 10 years since I have ran a LT40 and I don't remember if that motor is the same or not. You might want to get Marty's knowledge.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

The whole thing, If one part of it is junk maybe it's all junk. I don't know. When I take it apart, I'll see what's going on and get a bunch of parts when I go to the open house.
I have to get the roll pin out of the pulley. And get a new one pin.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

customsawyer

It should be just a common 1/8" roll pin. I get mine by the dozen at the local JD dealer.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Peter Drouin

It's the same motor as the blade arm too . I have to get some oil filters and oil for John at the JD dealer. I'll get the roll pins there too
Thanks for your help
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Keep us posted Peter.  :)

Chuck White

Peter, if you ordered the whole debarker motor, at your leisure, repair the old one and put it on the shelf for a spare.  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Chuck White on April 06, 2015, 09:52:22 PM
Peter, if you ordered the whole debarker motor, at your leisure, repair the old one and put it on the shelf for a spare.  ;)

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

If you don't have roll pin punches I'd suggest a set.
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on April 06, 2015, 10:10:59 PM

How about a blunt nail. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 06, 2015, 10:22:01 PM
Quote from: 4x4American on April 06, 2015, 10:10:59 PM

How about a blunt nail. :D :D :D

I have several sizes Peter....I'll loan you my set.  :D

MartyParsons

Hello?
Usually the shaft breaks because something else is or was not right. Not pointing fingers at anyone. Just the facts.
The shaft is available and the gear box inside most times, like 99% will be fine. On the debarker the belt should slip before the pulley shaft would brake. I like to take the belt off the in out of the motor and turn it to another location. Sometimes the belt will rust in the pulley because it never changes location. This might be the case here when it has not been run during the winter. If you dont change position of the belt once in awhile the belt will be like a triangle and not be round.  Put some never seize on the bolts or you may brake them when removing the next time. Or let the next guy worry about it. But it could be me!
We had a customer come in today with the aluminum housing ears broke off. I had a housing in my spare box so he made out good.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: MartyParsons on April 06, 2015, 10:48:34 PM
This might be the case here when it has not been run during the winter. 
Marty

I think Marty found your problem.  ;D

hackberry jake

Just install the new one and send the old one to me. Ill run some diagnostics on it for you.  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Peter Drouin

Hello?
Usually the shaft breaks because something else is or was not right. Not pointing fingers at anyone. Just the facts.
The shaft is available and the gear box inside most times, like 99% will be fine. On the debarker the belt should slip before the pulley shaft would brake. I like to take the belt off the in out of the motor and turn it to another location. Sometimes the belt will rust in the pulley because it never changes location. This might be the case here when it has not been run during the winter. If you dont change position of the belt once in awhile the belt will be like a triangle and not be round.  Put some never seize on the bolts or you may brake them when removing the next time. Or let the next guy worry about it. But it could be me!
We had a customer come in today with the aluminum housing ears broke off. I had a housing in my spare box so he made out good.
Hope this helps.
Marty

Thanks Marty. And you can use me as an example any time. :D :D :D :D

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 06, 2015, 11:11:50 PM
Marty

I think he did, my belt is like a triangle, :D

Quote from: hackberry jake on April 06, 2015, 11:48:00 PM
Just install the new one and send the old one to me. Ill run some diagnostics on it for you.  ;D

Thanks jake, But I think I will do that and learn something. :D :D :D

Today I get to cut without a debarker. 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 06, 2015, 11:11:50 PM
Marty

Must have been froze.  I hear that it gets glaciated up there. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Yeah, the shaft usually breaks through the roll pin hole. I didn't know parts were available, so I turned a new shaft out of a bolt and made it a little longer. That way the pulley/sprocket can be mounted backwards with the roll pin on the outboard side where there's no stress.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

stanwelch

Impressive!!  Piney Engineering Services does it again  8)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Peter Drouin

Well Customsawyer, You were right on the gears. They look good.

Mine did not brake at the roll pin.

It broke at where the pin gets small, and the roll pin did come out with a blunt nail. :D :D

Marty, You were right on with what you said happened.
The triangle

The rust.

Marty I want to thank you and Customsawyer for your help with this. In all the years of sawing. I have not gone through this.
I called WM in Maine and have a whole thing coming. Less than $100.00 Plug it in and go. :D :D :D
I called Ind and have two shafts coming for $48.99. They're $20.00 each.
When I go to the open house I'm going to buy another whole one. Then I'l have two ready to go and one extra shaft.

Cutting with out a debarker is a pith. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!