Tree hung up on other trees - Video

Started by Allar, January 26, 2019, 05:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allar

It looks cool, but to much hassle.   :D
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

John Mc

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 31, 2019, 12:32:31 PM
Not sure if this link will work, but have any of you seen this technique used? hanger slide It's not a youtube video, so I don't think it can be embedded here. Pretty cool idea, but the stump has to have a little height.
That's what I was referring to when I mentioned "tree on a rail" back in reply #13. It takes a bit to set up, but if you are hung up, don't have any equipment with you to pull the bottom out from under it, and need the log in one piece it can be a good option (sometimes you just can't get it to roll out of the tree in which it's stuck).

Too much hassle? well, yeah. If you don't want the hassle, don't get the tree hung up in the first place. "Stuff" happens, however, and it can be a handy tool when other options won't work or aren't available.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Air Lad

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 31, 2019, 12:32:31 PM
Not sure if this link will work, but have any of you seen this technique used? hanger slide It's not a youtube video, so I don't think it can be embedded here. Pretty cool idea, but the stump has to have a little height.
Link worked fine
Wow that was impressive

Allar

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN MC!!  smiley_old_guy smiley_beertoast

Pulphook

You getting old John ? 8)
My first aircraft was the school plane an Aeronca Champ ( in another life at Amherst ).
It was neat to solo in and get my private. They rolled the dirt runway in winter for skiis. No cabin heat so you froze your little &%$#@ off.
I recall that in overcast it was a bear to "find the ground" on the snow landing field, bouncing on those skiis really P.O. ed the field managers.
Fun little plane that stalled around 30 kts, but excellent glide ratio just in case.
A good buddy retired A.F. C.O. of the Bangor refueling wing got his Flight Instructor's ticket last year. Said it was tough even after getting his Commercial.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

John Mc

Quote from: Pulphook on February 01, 2019, 07:11:19 PM
You getting old John ? 8)
My first aircraft was the school plane an Aeronca Champ ( in another life at Amherst ).
It was neat to solo in and get my private. They rolled the dirt runway in winter for skiis. No cabin heat so you froze your little &%$#@ off.
I recall that in overcast it was a bear to "find the ground" on the snow landing field, bouncing on those skiis really P.O. ed the field managers.
Fun little plane that stalled around 30 kts, but excellent glide ratio just in case.
A good buddy retired A.F. C.O. of the Bangor refueling wing got his Flight Instructor's ticket last year. Said it was tough even after getting his Commercial.
I learned to fly in a Cessna 150, and later in a 172. I own a 172 now w/180 HP engine upgrade (it helps that my wife is also a pilot, so not a lot of convincing to do). The flight instructor's certificate was the toughest of any I've gotten so far. It's not really so much about the flying - you just have to do that to commercial standards, it's the teaching. My oral exam was probably 3 hours, and I'm sure we spent at least a couple of hours in the air (it was almost 15 years ago, so I don't really remember exactly).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Pulphook

There are 3 unpaved landing strips nearby: Stonington, Blue Hill, and Matinicus I. ( you land "uphill" ).
IBM's Watson family has their private strip on North Haven I.
Trenton/Bar Harbor is commercial IFR.

Got an old friend next to you in Hinesburg.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

Allar

Oh wow, we got some pilots over here. Come pick me up!

petefrom bearswamp

Dont know what I would do as it has never happened to me.
LLPOF
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

John Mc

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on February 03, 2019, 09:04:59 AM
Dont know what I would do as it has never happened to me.
LLPOF
Exactly. And with that, allow me to rephrase my earlier comments: When I said something like "what I've done in that situation..." what I really meant to say is "what I've heard others have done..."

Thank You Sponsors!