iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bought a Festool TS 75 track saw.

Started by Just Me, November 30, 2016, 08:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Me

I am in a small shop these days and don't really have room to handle plywood on the slider, and no room for my hydraulic panel cart so was forced to manhandle every sheet around a bunch of stuff. Then My back started getting worse, so I bit the bullet and dropped some coin on a track saw. Hate spending that much. :'(

So.... I bought the 118" track, and a 75" track comes with the saw. Was going through the setup instructions and got to the plunge to shave the splinter guard part and WHAM! The bolt for the splinter guard is too long and the blade plunges into it, blowing the splinter guard up and ruining the blade, knocked off a couple of teeth.

Called Festool dealer and he called me back in ten minutes and said a new saw was on its way and that I could use the one I have until the new one arrives. It still cuts amazingly well even with the damaged blade, although you can tell it has a wild tooth. One of those game changer tools that you wish you had bought sooner. I already had a Festool router but no track and tried that combo. It will be useful as well.

I looked at the Makita and Dewalt versions. Did not like the Dewalt , and the Makita was only about a $150 less shipped and did not have a splinter guard on the off cut side. Shipping on the long track is expensive, $200, so if you could pick up a Makita locally it would be a better deal. I went to the Festool dealer to get mine so no shipping. No one ships the long tracks free, they have to go freight.

Over all I am happy I spent the money, the cuts are amazing, as good as all of the hype. I think when I get my new blade/saw it may be better than my SCMI tablesaw. I tried it on some rough 6/4 hard maple straight lining one side and it was faster and and better than on the jointer. The tracks can be hooked together for even longer cuts, and depth of cut is 2 51/16". Blade speed is adjustable.Dust collection is good, and I tried it without and it works well that way too.

Does kind of tick me off that I had to buy it as a concession to old age......

Larry

Dave Shepard

I don't often use power tools, but when I do, I make it a Festool! Actually, I don't have as much Festool as I'd like. My TS75 has gotten much more use than I would have ever expected.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Just Me

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 30, 2016, 08:55:17 AM
My TS75 has gotten much more use than I would have ever expected.

I am beginning to see that........

Larry

Excellent choice.  I had the TS55, but it had neither the power or depth of cut I needed.

I also have the 1400 router.  Its absolutely the best router in its class since Elu was bought out.  Actually a couple of notches better.

I lust for one of those Domino 700's like the one you have already teased us with.  I'm sorta stuck on the price at this point...

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Just Me

I have been wanting to actually get my hands on a 2200 router. I absolutely love the ergonomics on the big Porter Cable plunges that I have but they are both over 20 years old and getting a little tired.

I have a 1010 Festool and will be picking up a 1400 one of these days as it would fill a nitch size wise, the 1010 not being able to run 1/2" shank bits. I do not like the plunge control mechanism on the Festools as compared to the large PC routers, but I would say it is better than any plunge I have used besides the 3 1/4 PC. I don't like the way their retainer for the dust cup is not on the same plane as the base plate, but I made a shim to take care of that and bought a PC guide bushing adapter from Leigh so I can use PC bushings. The other thing I don't like is the trigger lock location. It is almost impossible not to hit it when routing as it is under your finger, and when you let go of the trigger it is still running. I may remove that.

But, no such thing as a perfect tool, although I have their one of their electronic 5" sanders with the little CVS vacuum, and that combo is close. Its true what they say, this stuff is like rabbits, it just multiplys in your shop!

Bruno of NH

I've been saving up to buy one.
Glad you like it .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thechknhwk

I have read that the festool will fit the makita tracks, so that is a possibility to reduce the cost.  I have the makita and it works well, but I do wish it had more power.  I will probably sell the makita for the TS75 at some point in the future when I get rich :D

woodworker9

I've been using my TS55 for 15 years breaking down sheet goods for cabinetmaking.  I got tired of manhandling sheet goods across the table saw.  I can process plywood into cabinet parts 3 times faster than I ever could before. 

I also have a Rotex 6" sander and the CT33 dust collector.  Festool makes great tools, although they are hard on the wallet up front.  Mine have paid for themselves many times over.

I only use mine on cabinet plywood, so I keep the sawblade life to a maximum.  I use my other machines for processing hardwoods.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Morewood

Yea I have been hitting the Green Kool Aid kinda heavy my self .  I went big right outa the gate about 5 years ago .
ts 75 , 1400 and 2200 routers , 700 domino , ro 90 and ro150 sanders and of course a ct 36 DC .
Festool makes many attachments for the track system  , saws and routers , LR32 system , yes they are $$$ but it changed how I do things and the outcome is much better .

2008 Cooks AC3651 perkins diesel , JD 310C w/forks and thumb , International 8000 Dump truck , 16 ton trailer , and all the accessories .

scsmith42

I have a lot of Festools products. Love 'em! Their sander / dust collection combination is world class ( the electric ones), and the track saw produces glue line rips on long cuts.

Great customer service too. Lots of good use tips on the Festool Owners Group site top.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!