iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quick Festool rail storage.

Started by Dave Shepard, December 09, 2017, 06:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I've been carefully moving my rails around the shop for years and finally had a few minutes to figure out a storage solution. I had a piece of shiplap siding in the lumber pile and it gave me the idea to make a few cleats where I could tuck the top of the rail under the upper cleat and they couldn't fall off the wall. A pass through the table saw to get the width I wanted, and another two passes to make an extra deep rabbet on the back, then cut them 24" long. An easy fifteen minute project and now they are safe and out of the way. I had a wide angle shot, but that has disappeared from my phone.  ::) (Ssmsung sucks!).  Here's a close up. Vertical spacing is 6 1/2".

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Dave Shepard

Thanks. They were always in the way, and I figured sooner or later one of them was going to get bent.  $ :'( $

scsmith42

That's pretty clean. I hang mine vertically on a nail.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dave Shepard

I probably would have done that, but I would have to jack my garage up and run another course of block.  ;D

AlaskaLes

Looks like a clean simple answer to that problem.
I could see using this idea in the future to solve several flat tool storage ideas.
Most of us are space limited and I'm always looking for more ways to consolidate crap.
Thanks for sharing.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

scsmith42

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 10, 2017, 10:03:42 AM
I probably would have done that, but I would have to jack my garage up and run another course of block.  ;D

lol.  It helps that I have 15' ceilings in my woodshop!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Bruno of NH

Nice work Dave
You going to come to the Northern Project in May?
Would be nice to meet you
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Crusarius

How does the M18 chopsaw work for ya?

Dave Shepard

I'd like to go,  but I won't know until we get closer.

The M18 chopsaw has been great. Its only a 10", but it has good power and the battery lasts a long time. It is supposed to be able to cut 150 2x12 on a single charge, and I don't doubt it.

Thank You Sponsors!