iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by donald_harby, November 08, 2003, 03:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donald_harby

I just got an 066 it is used but doesn't have many hours on it.  I can not get it to run.  I put a carb kit and it is still hard to start and I can't keep it run long.  Can the coil be bad?

Kevin

It could be a number of things.
Tank venting, fuel filter and supply, gasket leak.
How does the piston look through the exhaust port?

donald_harby

I will check the piston through the exhaust.  what else should i try tomorrow?

Kevin

Check to see if the plug is wet and you have spark.
You should use a proper inline spark tester though you so you don't damage the ignition module.

donald_harby

I pulled the muffler and the piston/cylinder look really good.  It ran today but floods really easy and is still very hard to start. It won't idle at all or run very good below about 1/2 throttle. What is the procedure to adjust the carb(L and H screws)?  Also is there a good book that cover the 066?  

Kevin

Turn both screws in until they bottom out ...gently and back them both out 1 turn.
That should get it going.
You should put a tach on it after that.
Chain Saw 10th edition covers the 066.
Order an owners manual for it if you don't have one.

Minnesota_boy

Chainsaw carbs that I've worked on have a vent on the cover over the metering diaphram.  Sometimes sawdust gets in there and holds the metering diaphram so that the saw gets too much fuel.  Makes themeasy to flood and they always run rich.  Have to take the carb off the saw to get at it, then it has 4 screw holding the cover.  While you have it off, temove the metering needle and wipe the end of it to dislodge any lint that may cause it to leak.  Make sure you reassemble it correctly, hooking the meetering diaphram to the needle lever like it was or the saw won't run at all.   :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Kevin

More on setting the carb ...
http://www.forestapps.com/tips/tips.htm

Go to "carburetor tuning".

donald_harby

I got it to run!  I took it to the Stihl dealer and they did a pressure test.  It was fine.  So I thought it has to be the carb.  I put another carb kit in it and it runs great.  Starts 1 or 2 pulls always hot or cold and idles great.  I think a gasket or diaphram must have had a hole or something in the first kit.

Thank You Sponsors!