iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Operator Certification

Started by paulpieter, January 01, 2010, 12:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulpieter

In Ontario large operators will tend not to hire chainsaw operators unless they are certified through the OFSWA or Ontario Forestry Safe Workplace Association. I am told that this was developed as a result of the many accidents that occurred during the clean up of the 1998 Ontario, Quebec, Upper US Ice Storm.

Are there similar programs in other states, and provinces?
Do the right thing and make things happen.

windthrown

They have them in Oz, Canada, and the UK. None in the states that I am aware of.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

Tom

New York State is certifying chainsaw operators on State lands through a privately administered program now, according to a post in a previous thread.

ford62783

ny has an optional course and many large outfits here use felerbunchers to cut down and processors to cut up so its not that big a deal here
timberjack 240e

windthrown

Safety gear requirements are not certification... PPE is required here on most pro logging and many urban arborist sites.

windthrown

There is a requirement for BLM employees who are chainsaw operators to have chainsaw certificates: 

http://www.blm.gov/or/efoia//fy2007/im/p/im-or-2007-040.pdf

Also lots of sawyers around here are certified. Most USFS volunteer programs require certification to run saws on projects around here, and in other states. But a general certificate requirement or license for chainsaw operators like they have in Canada, Oz and the UK does not exist in the US that I am aware of.

bill m

The only chainsaw operator certification requirement that I am aware of is for the wildland firefighting service.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Kevin

They were looking at "required training"

QuoteSUMMARY: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is issuing a final standard specifying safety requirements covering all logging operations,
regardless of the end use of the forest products (saw logs, veneer bolts, pulpwood, chips, etc.). This standard replaces the existing standard at 29 CFR 1910.266, that had applied only to pulpwood logging, and thereby expands coverage to provide protection for all employees engaged in logging operations. The final standard addresses the unique hazards found in logging operations, and supplements other general industry standards in 29 CFR part 1910. The final standard strengthens and further clarifies some provisions of the existing standard, and eliminates unnecessary provisions. The revised standard also requires training for all employees in this high risk industry. OSHA believes this standard will significantly decrease the number of employees killed or injured in this industry.

ehp

I think it was 1984 or so they brought the new rules into affect in my old area where I worked in the bush, the first stuff was not as bad as it is now but still you were checked on how you ran your saw, how stumps were cut, if you kept your saw in good running shape and how you filed

paulpieter

Ontario is  the only Province (read state) in Canada, I am aware of that encourages chainsaw operator certification and it is entirely voluntary. That said large operators view it as a form of insurance I guess. Like anybody I am leery of imposed regulations however this program is encouraged even by our own independent foresters. It provides a level of assurance that the certified operator is aware of the basic dangers. It will never be able to cover all the situations but it will provide that level of awareness. Certification is a three day course with a class room and field component and a final test. I also think it is a one-time course with no "best before" date on the certificate but I could be wrong.

For the serious operator IMO this is good thing and good investment. Unfortunately for the weekender/yard worker the time commitment and cost is probably prohibitive but they are the ones that really need this type of exposure to the dangers. Oddly enough it is often the wives that insist on the training.
Do the right thing and make things happen.

Kevin

It's the law in Ontario for anyone with a business charging for their services as well as line clearance and logging.
If you are cutting for yourself or helping a friend the training or ppe is not a requirement.

thecfarm

I forget when Maine got in on all this,maybe the early '80.There was alot of loggers getting hurt,or so they claimed.I have no idea about the hiring part,but it would not surprise me any due to insurance.Supposedly to offset the cost the local paper mills would pay more for pulp.  ::)  Without the certification,there would be no way to sell logs or pulp without going on someone else's contract. This does not affect me,the land owner,as long as I cut on my own land.These rules also weeded out the guys that just slash and cut and move on to next site.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ehp

Kevin is correct, if you run a saw for the purpose of making money you need to have the certification or be working on getting it .

downeast

Quote from: thecfarm on January 02, 2010, 09:09:11 AM
I forget when Maine got in on all this,maybe the early '80.There was alot of loggers getting hurt,or so they claimed.I have no idea about the hiring part,but it would not surprise me any due to insurance.Supposedly to offset the cost the local paper mills would pay more for pulp.  ::)  Without the certification,there would be no way to sell logs or pulp without going on someone else's contract. This does not affect me,the land owner,as long as I cut on my own land.These rules also weeded out the guys that just slash and cut and move on to next site.

MEMIC ( Maine Employers Mutual Insurance Co.) requires loggers and heavy equipment operators working the woods to complete training in order to carry Workman's Comp insurance. The program, Certified Professional Logger (CPL) was well worth the time and $$$ spent. The emphasis is on safety, but also efficiency. Many of the grizzled "old" ( 30's to 40's) loggers were not too happy to be in the program since they "....had been working the woods for years without injury or using PPE..." . :o
The Game of Logging (GOL) in most parts of N. America has similar programs. Worth a look for anyone working with a saw.

Kevin

Cutter / Skidder Operator

GUIDELINES FOR THE CUTTER-SKIDDER OPERATOR TRAINING PROGRAM #750000

*  The Cutter/Skidder Operator Program is designed for workers in the forest products industry engaged in logging operations. Logging occurs when trees are felled so that they may be sold for conversion into a forest product, such as lumber, kraft pulp, newsprint, plywood or composite wood products, or firewood for sale on the commercial market. This can occur on crown land or on private land, including forested areas of farmland.
    * Employers in the industries/organizations listed below who are not involved in logging operations do not require the Cutter-Skidder Operator Training Program:

Municipalities                                              Conservation Authorities
Ministry of Natural Resources                  Hydro One                                       
Urban Fire Departments                           Road Maintenance Crews           
Building Contractors                                  Non-Commercial Lot Owners
Commercial Arborist Industry                  Commercial Horticulturist Industry
Landscape Industry                                   Farming Industry

* Employers and workers in the industries/organizations listed above shall still receive adequate training as per the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).

* Each training program, Cutter, Skidder or Cutter-Skidder Operator, identifies certain skill sets or activities that a worker must perform and the worker must demonstrate competence in these skill sets in order to be certified. If the worker does not perform all of the skill sets, the worker cannot be considered competent and cannot become certified.

- A worker in a logging operation that only bucks logs at the landing or only limbs and tops trees behind a feller buncher is performing some but not all of the skill sets required in the Cutter-Skidder Operator Program. The worker would not be required to register in the Cutter-Skidder Operator Program.

-The skidder portion of the program applies to cable skidding only. This program may apply to equipment similar to a cable skidder that would use a winch, cable and choker system to skid trees in a logging operation.

* The Cutter-Skidder Operator Program is enforced by the MOL under the Regulation for Industrial Establishments (Ontario Regulations 851) of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA). If you are unsure whether or not you are engaged in the activity of a logging operation, please consult your local Ministry of Labour Office for clarification.

* The Cutter-Skidder Operator Program is organized for certification of cutters, skidder operators and cutter-skidder operators under the following programs:

There is also required training for brush saws, skidding and chipping in Ontario.

Thank You Sponsors!