iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"New Site" Building a Sawmilling Enterprise

Started by Meadows Miller, September 15, 2012, 04:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

Gday

After Years of Busting My butt Things are on the move!! just finnished negotiating the new site 3.5Acres of hardstand over sheet rock so I dont have to worry about gettin bogged  ;) 1000square Meters or about 10000sqft of Shedding Industrial 3ph Electric and Gas Supply , phone and sewer services and a 35m3 or 14900bft Med/Hi Temp Windsor Kiln I am also within 30/40mi of the major growth area for Melbourne forcast for the next 25 to 30 years so I will also be getting into retail sales form the looks of it  ;) 

heres the mill site and shed 

part of the log yard 

and heres some pics of the kiln

and the boiler and kiln control room 

I still need to go through and give it a good tidy up and also build myself a unit/office there as I intend on living at the mill also as I see myself being at this site a looooong time  :) :) :) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

1woodguy

Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Old Hilly

Looks like there are a few posibilities there mate. Living on-site always helps with security and makes the rent seem that much cheaper.
Good luck with the venture!
Dennis.

Meadows Miller

Thats dead rite Mate to rent a place (two bed with no room) down here is anywhere from $200 to $300 a week and I have this site on a 3 year lease first 6 months rent free and they will take a % of the lease payments of the valuation when I purchase the site Im paying $340 a week for this place which is pretty reasonable IMHO Mate  ;)

rmack

doesn't look like you will have to worry about having nothing to do for a very long time.

good luck with the cash flow.  ;)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

dgdrls

Meadows, congratulations! 
I believe your going to knock it out of the park with this site.

Look forward to following your progress.

Best regards
DGDrls

redbeard

Looks real good Chris lots of cover, can never have enough covered storage. Your a hard worker Chris You will make it happen!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gus

"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

sigidi

Good stuff, great to see Chris - good onya mate 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

JustinW_NZ

Sweet - i can see the possibilities there so best of luck!  8)

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Tom L

good luck,
I like the clear panels in the ceiling, lets in a lot of light.

Holmes

Well done  ...When you  tidy the place up I think you will be happy and comfortable  8) 8) Good luck
Think like a farmer.

isawlogs

Nice to have all those little ducks finaly line up for you.  8) 8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

duke

So What type of mill are you going to set up, you have afew to choose from. I love the set up .Do you need a worker , oh yeah I forgot I only live in Canada,LOL. I love OZ its a great place Mate. I could work with wood all day every day and never get bored of the stuff. You got a couple of circular mills if I remember right. They sure have some pretty wood down-under. 8) 8) 8) ;D ??? :) :) :) It's good to see some-one getting a much deserved break, I know what its like when you just seem to be spinning your wheels at times in life no matter how hard I tried ??? ??? ::) It is what it is. Have a great time setting up and running the place, will expect lots of pictures. It would be great if you kept that first board that you cut in the new place. 8) 8) :) :)

Meadows Miller

Gday

And thanks for the positive comments fellas  :) ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Duke I will be running two different saw lines one for Hardwood and one for Pine most likely Mate  ;) ;D First mill to go in will be the Varteg that will eventually be the breaking down ahead of a Gibson two man Bench should average about 6000 per day with a good crew all depends what your cutting  ;) Ill be doing both pine and hardwood on this mill for a start

Stage two is getting the Meadows installed for processing pine that will be the carriage and edger ;)

I also have a Pallet nailing line to put in and I will have the faithfull Lucas Mill 10-30 for doing the bigguns  over 30" to 36" odd inches dia and slabbing  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Id be interested if you want to come over and work goes for anyone on The Forum just let me get the ball rollin first  ;) ;D ;D 8) might even teach you a thing or two  ;) :D :D ;D ;D

Rmack Cashflows Key I have some good jobs linned up and have my own logs to cut in cypress pine its just start Sawin N Keep Sawin I  will be able to do my 60000bft a month w/o any dramas on my lonesome and already have that ongoing volume linned up for a start next month  ;)

the only thing I am really worried about is Labour costs as I dont want them to blow out  ;)

Tom there is plenty of light in the shed and even more on a summers day ;) its the std way alot of sheds are done in Australia saves abit on lighting bills too ;):)

Regards Chris

WildDog

Maaaate looking good, 8)

Taking the bull by the horns on this one, sounds like a good location + plenty of concrete and cover, can't ask for much more. Looking forward to watching this adventure evolve. :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Leigh Family Farm

It might not look like paradise to some, but to all of us its darn near perfect! Congrats on the new site. First and foremost, get a BBQ for good eats and a fridge for good beer  smiley_beertoast
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

starrtraveler

Shouldn't be hard to find some good help.  The bad ones weed themselves out eventually.  Before long you'll have a crew that's just like family ;)
In the process of gathering info to build a bandmill.  Going with the Linn design.

clww

Good luck to you, Chris!
That place looks huge. 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

bandmiller2

Chris,you will find honest to goodness three phase power your biggest blessing. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Satamax

Quote from: kilgrosh on September 16, 2012, 09:13:24 AM
It might not look like paradise to some, but to all of us its darn near perfect! Congrats on the new site. First and foremost, get a BBQ for good eats and a fridge for good beer  smiley_beertoast

I agree with you, purfect or nearly.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Wilddog Im grabbing them and gonna shake the EDITED BY ADMIN. YOU KNOW BETTER outta sucker for all hes worth Mate !!!!  ;) :D :D ;D ;D 8) Its About Bloody Time I do what I know I can do and what I have the Skills and Brains & Capable off Mate  ;) I am workin to the 110 rule thats $110m3 ($250per mbft) to Saw it regardless of where you are and what your log imput or sawn transport costs are  ;) It all comes down to Labor and Capital Expenditure and keepin them under control  look after those two and you can still make a profit even then I have seen mills that have either one of those outa control and the worst one I saw had both problems  ;) and there are no rules saying you have to saw all your logs at one site Mate  ;)

Star Traveler Your spot on there Mate  ;) The trick is some people realize that some people dont expand their business to just make money  ;) if I get any bigger than this site (relocatable mills sending timber back to this site ) Ill be training tight crews  that can look after themselves and know it is in their best interest to be productive  ;) The problem down here is esp when you get to employing alot of people is you get a good number that expect a free ride  :) :) :( :( If I get a crew like that Ill just pack the bloody mill up and bring it home  ;) :D or better yet find a better one to operate it that like a nice steady paycheck   ;) Ill say I am torn about employing people but there comes a time in your life where you realize that you cant do Everything on Your Own Forever  ;)

Before any of that I have to get things going nicely here But I do have the feeling they will move pretty quick as I am already swamped but Im just going to move slowly and as capital allows  :) :) ;) ;D ;D

Frank I hear you loud n clear Im looking forward to hitting that starter in the mornings  Mate ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Kilgrosh, Clww & Sata Its about bloody perfect in My eyes too Fellas  :) :) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Alot of 12hr plus Sawing days ahead of Me but I am looking forward to them  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris

JustinW_NZ

I will have to come for a working holiday across the ditch one day to see how its really done i think  ;)

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Thank You Sponsors!