iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Transplanting evergreen trees in late November, will they survive?

Started by albergo, November 22, 2017, 10:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albergo

Hello I just wanted to ask this forum's advice on my current situation:

I had a source of some pine trees and transplanted about 30 1-3 foot pine trees (white pine, spruce, and pitch pine) recently. These were roughly dug up with a spade in rocky soil, so the root balls varied, but I was very careful about making sure not to screw up the balls too badly.

I got these from the wild, so the root balls were not perfect, even using a spade (rocky soil).  The root balls were "decent enough" for most of them, but there's a few where it's just a really small % of the root that was left, or almost nothing at all.

Considering that it's basically winter and the ground will be frozen in the next 2 weeks, do you think that I'll have a decent chance of success for these guys to all survive through the winter into the spring?  I've watered all of the transplants heavily.

I have like 5-10 plants with somewhat less than ideal, to absolutely crap root balls - in the past, I managed to get pitch pine with really pathetic root balls to survive despite the fact that it had like 1% of its original root ball. That was back in the spring, however. Do you think I'll get lucky again, considering that it's basically winter here in northern PA?

Should I keep watering the pine trees every time the weather gets significantly above freezing ?  It's supposed to be 50 degrees for two days next week, I'm thinking I should just saturate all the trees again until the soil is frozen.

For the white pines, I think I need to cover the terminal buds (or all of the buds) with something, do you think computer paper with staples will be sufficient?

I transplanted some burlap sack large 5-6 foot white pines a month ago, and the deer have been nipping away at roughly 50% of the side buds.  The terminal buds haven't been touched, but for one of the trees the higher buds were nipped away at quite severely.  There's white sap hardened on all the nipped buds.  I'm going to put metal around all 6 of these trees.

Do you think that if 50% of the buds were nipped off these trees may die, or will they survive?  They were already under a LOT of stress from the transplant, and now lost 50% of their buds (I had no idea deer ate white pine buds).

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions and answer them!!

Thanks for your input!

Klunker

I've done a fair bit of transplanting in the fall.
I would recommend that when you plant the trees be sure to force out any air pockets in the ground. Whether it be by stomping with  your foot, watering heavily or what ever method you feel comfortable that works in your soil type.
Once its in and the air is out I'd leave it.

As long as you have enough roots there it'll survive. what % is needed is anyone's guess. Alot depends upon the weather next spring, type of soil and amount of moisture soil retains.

as far as the deer eating your buds, I've never seen it in my area, I planted approx 500 white pine and 1500 white cedar and the only damage I saw from deer was rubbing antlers. They never ate either one, must of been enough more desirable feed around.

moodnacreek

Deer will eat white cedar here in n.y. , as high up as they can reach.

jaciausa

The DNR in Iowa will not sell pines from the state nursery in the fall. That leads me to the conclusion that spring is the time of year to transplant. All trees they sell are barefoot only about 24 inches tall. This might be the difference in whether they can survive.

WDH

Trees are best planted in the dormant season when the buds are set. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!